By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Can PS3 Explode in Japan in 09??

PS3 needs tons of games to skyrocket. Tell me, where are those games? I mean which constant flow of games do you expect will make people go the way of PS3?

The ones I can think of, the ones that appeal to Japanese gamers are: WKC, Tekken 6, TLR, FFXIII, FFvsXIII, Yakuza 3, Naruto UNS, GT5, Rapture (SE MMORPG), RE5, Castlevania, Way of the Samurai 3, PES 09, Dinasty Warriors (the new game), ACFFVII Complete (Blu-Ray movie), Demon's Soul, Street Fighter 4, Silent Hill 5, Resistance 2, Bayonetta, Quantum Theory (Not sure about this one though) and stop looking because you won't find anything else. Most of these games have been in development for a long time, almost none is a recent announcement.

With those games, it may do decent next year, but don't expect an explosion, since the PS3 also needs small and niche titles to become popular in Japan.

One thing is true though, it's line up is better than both its competitors so far.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Around the Network

Well GT5 will have the biggest effect in the EU, FFXIII will have huge spikes in PS3 sales in Japan for a week but that is it. Japan simply needs software, if Sony keep pumping the hardware Japan likes the hardware will sell. Simple as, price cuts do not have a huge effect in Japan as they go for quality and are not poverty stricken such as the NA where the inhabitants believable price cuts are the only thing which sells consoles. (not everyone in NA obviously, but the amount on this site who do gives me the heeby jeebies)

SpartanFX said:

let's look at the games:

1.FF advent movie bundled with PS3 <-- LOL. I don't like the PS3's chances if the first thing it has going for it is a movie.

2.GT5

3.Resident Evil 5

4.FFXIII by the end of 09 only in Japan

5.WKC(only 5 days before 09 so we could assume the sale spikes mostly in 09)

PS3 will most probably get a price cut in Japan in 09 as well.

What do you think?what other games are coming out in japan that will help PS3 in 09?

I'm going to say it'll do better, but not explode. But I expect all 3 home consoles to do better in Japan next year (which incidently, isn't too hard for two of them).

if you mean sell more than wii, thats possible. not a guarantee or very likely but its possible. they are getting the most popular game(s) in japan ff13 and versus, a price cut is as good as guaranteed in 09, there also a few other rpgs like WKC, just maybe a kingdom hearts 3 for ps3.

but it wont "explode". japanese gamers have clearly shown us that they arent interested in this gen, they only like handhelds. but it is possible that ps3 can be the best home console this gen in sales. but in my opinion, i dont think its worth the effort and money especially, even if they do get a larger install base than the wii, it wont matter that much. no console is going to sell more than 10 million in japan this gen, so its not a big advantage for sony over microsoft.

Don't forget games as Tekken aswell.

Anyway Pricecut+ FFXIII+Advent Children bundle+New colour+GT5+few other games like Last Renmant/RE5/Demon Souls/Virtua Fighter 5 special... If that happen then PS3 will atleast sell 5 million in my opinion in Japan in 09..

Around the Network

The game that will skyrocket PS3's sales in Japan for SURE IMO is Final Fantasy 13..... Simply amazing series....

Lol deathgod33: You honestly think the Wii won't sell 3 mre million units in Japan? It may sell up to 500k this holiday season, leaving it at 2.5 million for the rest of the gen. If you think the Wii will stop selling then you are too blind to be posting. It's true that maybe it will slow down, but stop selling?? Lol.

Also, PS3 selling 5 million next year is probably the most ridiculous thing I've heard in my life. That would mean it will have to sell an average of 100k units/week. ROFL

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

I use to think Nintendo fanboys were the most pleasant of all fanboys, this site has the most awful ones I have ever seen *shudders*

It is possible that the PS3 could see an explosive shift in sales for awhile if Sony released a Slim-PS3 at a lower price along with Final Fantasy XIII ... The problem is (without adequate support to maintain sales) the sales would slowly die down and (eventually) fall to a similar level to how the PS3 is selling currently.

sony must of did something to keep ff13 exclusive in japan (i know microsoft was drooling over getting that game in japan). quite frankly, that could potentially be the smartest thing sony did this gen. and, if they cut the price of the ps3 by 30% THE EXACT DAY ff13 releases, then ps3 will sell outsell the wii by 1.5 to 1 in japan for the remainder of this gen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!