By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - When blu ray disc hits 200gb

what does that mean for playstation 3 games

*Naughty dog said they only used about 30-50% of the cell power/blu ray data*

i think kojima *mgs4 guy* said he used about all of the space i'm not sure though

so imagine the space for data/graphics with 4 times the space (50*4=200gb)

ur THOUGHTS/OPINIONS

Around the Network

In general processing power is more of a limitation than disc space.

Hurray for more filler!.....?

I guess music files won't be compressed anymore. That's kinda cool.

it just means there will be bigger levels and more stuff put into a game

But can the PS3 read a 200GB blu-ray disk?

One of the many things that I think might happen in the future, if you do indeed get to such huge figures of data, is movies in games.

The idea is just too hardcore to not come up. Sometime in a not too distant future, there will be a game claiming to have the first full-lenght feature film in-game. It will probably come from one of the major game developers, or at least from a publisher with absurd amounts of money. Because only money is what could keep this from going from a good(?) idea to a fully realized one.

It will not be full resolution, and it will be watchable on TV, maybe even rentable in an in-game video-store.

Wether or not it will be a success is doubtful. Wether or not it will be repeated is also doubtful. But it WILL happen.

Back on topic, how will a 200gb Blu-ray-disc change gaming? Not much. What will it mean for PS3 games? Not much. Why? Because today, gaming is not as defined by technological limitations as it is by resource limitations. Building a game takes time, manpower, money and imagination.

This is invisible text!

Around the Network

@Gilgamesh
if not sony would just do a firmware

Absolutely nothing. The high development costs of HD graphics are a much more limiting factor than disc space ever will be, and it's not like there's anything wrong with multiple discs.

How does blu ray work?

Do you need a new drive with every new layer like dual layer dvds or can you just put out a firmware to read it?

And 200 gb games wont happen for a long , long , long time.

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!!!

If GTA IV fits on 1 DVD, imagine what would be possible with 2 DVDs.

The space issue is not as big as Sony wants you to believe. So, let there be two DVDs, so what? A disc change every 10 hours of gameplay is okay for me. There won't be a big difference in graphics. Space doesn't help, when rest of the hardware it at its limit.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

@Jesus

The 200gb BD is already in development, should release next year actually

mM