By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Pal Charts, Week 45: The battle of the titans - Gears 2 vs. LittleBigPlanet

It's very hard, if not impossible, to point a finger and say how much (or little) a 2 day sales period will effect Gears 2, as opposed to other major X360 games.

If you look at X360 games, there's a pretty simple trend for top-selling releases:

From BKK:
02 Grand Theft Auto IV 360 (514k) --- 5 Days of Sales
04 Halo 3 360 (411k) --- 4 Days of Sales
08 Gears of War 2 360 (~247k) --- 2 Days of Sales
13 FIFA 09 360 (201k) --- 2 Days of Sales

Now, it wouldn't justify everything, but with an extra 2 days of sales, we don't know how many units would be sold. Its new territory to analyze 2 days of sales, so please forgive me for any inaccuracies. The last thing I want to do, as a VGC-er is overbloat sales when they just aren't there. Time will tell how well Gears did in comparison to Halo 3. But I think that by this time next week, we'll know how close, or how far, we were away from the truth.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

Germany Topseller 01.01 - 31.08.2008

Wii is getting a beating SW wise.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Gears 2 did great and Lbp good in Uk, not so good for Motorstorm, also really many hd games in the top chart.

Nice charts this weeks, good games up there.

Also, Gears of War 2 is huge.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

Around the Network

Gears 2 debut is of course pretty good even if it fall short of mrstickball predictions. I expect around 550k for first week in Others(would put it at 600k if it was released in Germany) which would be only be lower than 5 this-gen debuts so far (GTAIV on either platform, Halo 3, WiiFit and Mario Kart).

LBP - I guess we will see around 200k first week for Others. Worse than games like GT5P, MGS4 or GTAIV but still not bad for a new IP that will probably have legs.

There were also few pretty bad debuts this week that were overlooked:

Motorstorm: PR - 27th place is just terrible. That's even lower than it debuted in NA (which was extremely bad).

Tom Clancy's EndWar - X360 just missed top 40. It debuted on 11th place in X360 only chart and on 12th in PS3 only charts. I think its very bad result and I doubt this game will have any logs.

Naruto: Ulitmate Ninja Storm - 16th place on PS3 only charts.

@kamil

I think its way too unfair to even compare LBP to GT5 P, GTA 4 & MGS4 (atleast its launch week sales.....LTD who knows)

compare it to uncharted, Ratchet, Bioshock n so on

compare it to NEW IP's alike

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

@darth: I just compared it to some biggest PS3 games.Not saying LBP had to outsell their first weeks to be considered success. I think it will hold pretty good and become one of the biggest sellers in PS3 library in few next months.

still great Gear of 2 sales, and good software sales in UK

tey can reach 3 mil easily world wide

Gear of War doing Great, LBP good too