By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - LAIR? Is the game really bad?

I also purchased the game on day one and felt the game was average/fair. Although, in my opinion, most of that was not based on the sixaxis controls; they are still not great, but I feel there were other more pressing issues.

The targeting system is hit-or-miss (no pun intended) its sort of half automatic half user controlled with no real way to switch easily between targets, it just feels too inconsistent.

The missions themselves seem to play like a "Greatest Hits" of previous Factor 5 games. By that I mean they were good and somewhat varied, but I feel like I've played them all before in the Rouge Squadron series. I guess this is less than an issue if someone didn't play those games.

Finally, I think the game is a little on the short side, your mileage may vary. I was able to complete the game my first time through without skipping any cutscenes in 5 hours and to me there is very little replay value outside of leaderboards.

I did give the game a once-through again after the patch came out and it didn't radically change my view of the game it just alleviated a few of the instances where the control outstripped the gameplay. I don't regret my purchase (the game is still a stunner in the graphics and audio department) and I did have fun with it; I just think if I did it all again I probably wouldn't have bought it day one.

Around the Network

I liked it a lot, and i truly recommend it (it is now cheap, and playable with the sticks), whats weird is that i liked it more with the sixaxis controls cause it immerses you more in the game (i know that some moves will sometimes test your patience, but not to the point where you tilt left and he goes right as seen in some reviews).
Plus: Graphics (sometime its jawdropping
Music (fantastic epic score)
Story (nice one, not epic but nice)
Six axis controls (when they are working they are great)

Minus: Graphics (sometimes, near the ground, some of the textures are Low Ps2 quality)
Six axis (sometimes they will get u mad, but its like 10 % of the time)

So, overall, i rate this game 7.5/10, dont believe the bashing

Currently Playing: Final Fantasy XIII (PS3), White Knight Chronicles (PS3), PES 2010 (PS3), Killzone 2 (PS3)

Games to Finish: Silent hill Homecoming (PS3), Valkyria Chronicles (PS3), Oblivion (PS3)

Pre-patch it was a hate or love affair.Some people loved it ,some people hated it.And some others never played it but as they read in IGN it was bad and was an PS3 exclusive they jumped on the badnwagon of Lair HATE.

Post-patch the game is better ,its like one of the old Rogue Squadron games but with next gen graphics.

I quite enjoyed the game. Music was great and the cut scenes were really well done. The gameplay itself did get a bit boring in large doses. So what I found was that it was a game that I could only really play in between playing other games that way it still retained some of its freshness.

Never tried it....everybody who did said it was shit so I didn't even bother.

Around the Network

I rented it, pre-patch.

The cutscenes are nice, but honestly, the game design, not just the control issues, is just bad.

Targetting is horrible, the map (or whatever that thing is) is a joke and the stage design is pretty average (there are some good bits). Issue with that stage design thumbs up is that the control scheme is so bad and the motion controllers are so unresponsive that anything positive about the in-game is completely destroyed by how frustrating it is to do things like turning.

Also, for a highly anticipated release, I would have expected better in the graphical department (screen tears, pop-in happens pretty frequently)

Even dirt cheap and fixed controls, I wouldn't recommend this game, because of the fact that save a little more and you can buy one of the great games the PS3 has. Adding analogue sticks doesn't change alot of the terrible design choices with the game.

Stay away from this one.

It was decent. Some pals of mine are totally club-handed apes and couldn't ever really handle the controls. It was easy for me, even before the patch -- then again I use the sixaxis in Warhawk as well, so I'm pretty used to it.

My main issue with it was the framerate, and the terrible self-shadowing on the dragons. If the framerate was better, it would have been a pretty good (~8/10) game. As is, I'd have to say that the reviews in the high 6s or 7/10 range were dead on.

i think the very very bad controls that lair had have the game so many bad review but with the update and the use off the analog sticks the game its a good play

Lair is a lot better than the majority give it credit for. At the time the game came out the PS3 was getting bashed to a rediculous degree and game reviews were not very reflective of the games at the time. All the people that complain about the controls are really way out of line. It is like they are old people that refuse to play new games because they don't know the controls, so they refuse to play , and claim they are to complicated or broken.

IMO the game should have gotten between an 8 and an 8.5 when it launched.The graphics at the time were some of the best on any console. The sound track is better than any game I have ever played. I personally enjoyed the story, because it showed the society you live in is not always the most moral. It had a kind of an anti war message if you look deep into the story. Gameplay in this game is what you make of it. If you have been a "F*** the Mother F******, piece of S*** Sixaxis. How the F*** is the Son of a B**** that designed this. F*** you Sony. Stop F****** trying to copy Nintedno." kind of gamer then you will probably not like this game no matter what. But if you are interested in the game, indifferant on Sixaxis, and willing to give it a try, I am sure that you will understand the controls and mabye even find them enjoyable.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

KBG29 said:
Lair is a lot better than the majority give it credit for. At the time the game came out the PS3 was getting bashed to a rediculous degree and game reviews were not very reflective of the games at the time. All the people that complain about the controls are really way out of line. It is like they are old people that refuse to play new games because they don't know the controls, so they refuse to play , and claim they are to complicated or broken.

That's BS. When the game launched, many of us owned Wiis. The motion controls weren't that hard to adapt to if they were done properly. There were already several released games that showed how motion controls could work in a game and a few more on the way (Heavenly Sword, for example).

Lair's controls just flat-out sucked. If the controls weren't being unresponsive, you were probably getting torn into a stupid minigame you didn't mean to enact. The game bordered on unplayable at times and, at the time, the PS3's controller disconnect problem certainly didn't help Factor 5's already half-assed effort on the game.

There are few games in the past 10 years that have put me into a controller-throwing rage quite like Lair did. As Twesterm said, it wasn't the worst game ever, but it wasn't far off the mark. Every part of the game other than music varied from mediocre to bad. Even the graphics had massive tearing problems on my system (but when it wasn't tearing, the game looked great).

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/