By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 sales 4.48 million world wide, forecasts 14.5 million.

jjseth said:
Your Wii tainted math hurts my brain as it makes no sense to a normal college educated human being.

The Source, you said yourself that "No video game company knows what it actually has sold to customers" However, you and vgchartz which isn't much more then a glorified Nintendo fanboy's hangout to feel good about how great the Wii is selling is accurate, knows within a small margin of error exactly what the sales are?

According to this site I think the 360 has been around the same sales numbers for the past 4 months (No more then maybe 500k difference from month to month it seems). Prove to me and provide me with information that what you say is correct and why I should not believe financial statements from a major corporation? And don't bring up Enron, not every company is that shady, esepecially when it comes to retail sales.

are you serious? joke post?

Around the Network
jjseth said:
Your Wii tainted math hurts my brain as it makes no sense to a normal college educated human being.

The Source, you said yourself that "No video game company knows what it actually has sold to customers" However, you and vgchartz which isn't much more then a glorified Nintendo fanboy's hangout to feel good about how great the Wii is selling is accurate, knows within a small margin of error exactly what the sales are?

According to this site I think the 360 has been around the same sales numbers for the past 4 months (No more then maybe 500k difference from month to month it seems). Prove to me and provide me with information that what you say is correct and why I should not believe financial statements from a major corporation? And don't bring up Enron, not every company is that shady, esepecially when it comes to retail sales.

This site does not disagree with Sony! Your understanding of these figures is extremely poor. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

JJSETh... Seriously...

This is an estimated website.
Dude... If you want to believe they sold that, then believe it.
It's video games bro.

These guys do a good job of estimating. AND ITS A FREEEEEEE service.
If it will make you happy, take a post it note and slap it over the home page with whatever figure you like.

Predictions For Last Full Week of Sales in 2010)

WII - 80.35 Million

360 - 43.88 Million

PS3 - 41.40 Million

More terrible predictions coming Jan. 2011!!!

Also to bring up how you fault what sony or that site stated because of what you assume is an error in addition, read this sentence that was in a link that I had posted in a closed thread.

Q1 sales totaled 0.71 million worldwide, with the majority of the consoles sold so far being shifted in Q3/4 2006

http://play.tm/story/12089

Care to explain to me what you perceive that to mean? To me that states, that many of the sales that happened in Q1 were shifted to Q3/4 of 2006 therefore lowering the number actually sold in Q1 07 to the .71 mln, which would in turn increase the 3.57mln Sony had reported sold in FY 2006.

Also, to me "shipped" means sent to retailers, and sold means that they were actually sold. For example, when a newspaper sends newspapers to a gas station, they don't charge the gas stations for unsold papers, they come to pick them up and recycle the unsold ones. And they don't count the number sold until they actually get the information from the distributors and retailers who handle shipping the units. Sure, a store may put a "deposit" down on the inventory they keep, but they did not purchase a set amount of units, incase there is a drop in price like the recent one with the 60gb unit. To me those are "shipped" units, and then when they are sold, that is the number that are actually sold.

Tell me, do you go onto Ebay and subtract from the numbers of PS3's sold due to the number that are up for auction there? I mean they were sold, but only to a middle man who is trying to sell them again for retail value (Or so he hopes) to a customer.

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.

You completely misread what I said.  No videogame company knows what sell through to customers is.  But if demand is high, shipments delivered to retailers will come very close to sell through from gamers.  Wii sales through June 30 on Vgchartz were roughly 9 million.  Nintendo shipped 300,000 more units than that to retailers.  Sales agency NPD had Wii at 3.3 million (with Canada) through July 7, Media Create had Wii at 2.9 million through June 30 and Chart Track had Wii over 2.5 million.  Those numbers add up to nearly what Nintendo shipped, in contrast to other consoles where sell through is not that high.  If you have a problem with that prove those agencies are wrong.

I'm telling you Sony's financial report is correct - 4.28 million Playstation 3s have arrived at retailers.  But every major tracking agency - NPD, Media Create and Chart Track show sales to gamers.  Add the sales of those independent agencies up (unless you think they are Wii fanboys too) and you get numbers less than the shipment total on Sony's financial report.

Do you actually look at the sales data on this website?  Through Dec 31 2006 Xbox 360 sales were under 8 million on Vgchartz.  Sales now are over 10 million.  Head on over the worldwide week sales and take a look for yourself.  Last time I checked that means Microsoft sold over 2 million units to gamers in 2007.

If you actually went to college and can't understand this, I really feel bad for you.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Around the Network
Thrillhouse said:
JJSETh... Seriously...

This is an estimated website.
Dude... If you want to believe they sold that, then believe it.
It's video games bro.

These guys do a good job of estimating. AND ITS A FREEEEEEE service.
If it will make you happy, take a post it note and slap it over the home page with whatever figure you like.

Sony is saying that, by the end of June, they sold approximately 4.48 million PS3s to retailers around the world.

http://vgchartz.com/weekly.php?date=39264

This site claims that those retailers had sold, by the end of June, 3.65 million of those PS3s to customers around the world. That would mean that approximately 830,000 PS3s were (at that time) sitting in store shelves. That is a completely reasonable figure given no supply constraints for the PS3 anywhere in the world. I believe JJSeth's problem is that he doesn't appreciate this distinction.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

actually on January 1st 2007 360 was at 7.8 million in sales.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

For emphasis: this site does not disagree with Sony's figures, they are simply reporting different statistics. If I said that 4 million people visited Yankees games last year, and you declared me a liar, and showed me that only 1 million people had bought peanuts at the game last year, I'd say... that makes no sense, those are different statistics tracking different things.

Similarly, VGChartz is tracking how many PS3's have sold from retailers to customers. Sony is tracking how many PS3's have sold from Sony to retailers. Those are different statistics, and they definitely should not match up, especially given that the Playstation 3 is not supply constrained anywhere in the world. The 830k disparity is completely reasonable, as it assumes 830k are sitting on store shelves or are in transit to a store somewhere in the world.

What VGChartz should closely match up with are other services that do track the same statistic. The notable services are NPD, Media Create, and Chart Track. And guess what? VGChartz does.

NJ5 said:

You're an idiot. If you don't have any faith/interest in this website's numbers, what are you doing here?

And you're either stupid or trolling if you didn't YET understand that noone is telling you not to believe Sony's financial statement.

I'm an idiot?  Well you are flaming and trying to flame bait a bit here by calling someone an idiot because i happen to question the numbers that you so faithfully believe in.   Again, this is the Sony section of this site and I should be able to go into this section without having to hear all this doom adn gloom and negativity.  I love video games just as much as you do, I just happen to have a system that you don't have (or two as I have a 360 as well).

I won't bring myself down to your level and participate in flaming NJ5 and I shouldn't be shocked that again this is getting out of control again after GBallzack has been given a 30 day hiatus from the forums.  

Tell me, why in the world should I believe the numbers that are from here when they are known to not be 100% accurate as they go off the NPD numbers which Wal-Mart doesn't report to and is one of the largest retailers in the world.   Please... Tell me and explain it to me rationally without the name calling.  

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.

""But, but, if you ship that many to stores, doesn't that count as sold, I, I, I don't understand. Aren't stores customers? If Sony makes that many then, but, why, I don't... Why isn't Sony's number on VG chartz bigger?""

Listen, if you want a website that lists units shipped instead of actually sold, then go to NextGenWars.