By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 sales 4.48 million world wide, forecasts 14.5 million.

jjseth said:
NJ5 said:

You're an idiot. If you don't have any faith/interest in this website's numbers, what are you doing here?

And you're either stupid or trolling if you didn't YET understand that noone is telling you not to believe Sony's financial statement.

I'm an idiot? Well you are flaming and trying to flame bait a bit here by calling someone an idiot because i happen to question the numbers that you so faithfully believe in. Again, this is the Sony section of this site and I should be able to go into this section without having to hear all this doom adn gloom and negativity. I love video games just as much as you do, I just happen to have a system that you don't have (or two as I have a 360 as well).

I won't bring myself down to your level and participate in flaming NJ5 and I shouldn't be shocked that again this is getting out of control again after GBallzack has been given a 30 day hiatus from the forums.

Tell me, why in the world should I believe the numbers that are from here when they are known to not be 100% accurate as they go off the NPD numbers which Wal-Mart doesn't report to and is one of the largest retailers in the world. Please... Tell me and explain it to me rationally without the name calling.

Sorry but if the explanations given above aren't enough, I can't do better. And I'm sorry to inform you but I don't have the patience of a saint either, hence calling you an idiot.

People already made a big effort in explaining you how this works and I'm starting to think I'm feeding a troll here, so see you around.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

ok, this is getting silly.

Every business has to identify its customers in it's business plan - its essential to identifying your business model. these customers will vary from one company to another. Sony is the manufacturer of electronic goods, it is not a retail service, so therefore; Sony's main customers are retail outlets - the shops on the high street and internet. This is who Sony will sell their goods to and who they monitor when they use the term "sold to customers".

Retail outlets have different customers as identified in their business models. manufacturers (such as Sony) are their suppliers. For retailers, their customers are the public (it's who buys the good off them). that's you, me, your friends and families, everyone. this is who retailers will monitor in order to assess their sales figures when they say 'sold to customers'.

This site monitors these 'retail customers', or, more simply put - 'members of the public who buy from retailers'.

of course their is some correlation, if retail demand is high, then supply demand on the manufacturer will be high, so Sony (and other manufacturers) can measure their level of success through their customers (the retail chains/shops). this is why they use these figures when we, the general public, do not.

Atari 2600, Sega Mega Drive, Game Boy, Game Boy Advanced, N64, Playstation, Xbox, PSP Phat, PSP 3000, and PS3 60gb (upgraded to 320gb), NDS

Linux Ubuntu user

Favourite game: Killzone 3

TheSource said:

If you actually went to college and can't understand this, I really feel bad for you.

Classy statement by someone who is a mod here.   No wonder people stop coming to this site to read about things.   I just come here to discuss videogames and systems that I am interested in.  And my opinion that this site is controlled by many who are wii fanboys is accurate as there are several who are constantly bad mouthing Sony.  DKII has always seemed to be the one that I do respect the most here.

I know what you are talking about and yes, I do agree that it is easier to track Wii sales as they generally don't have a back stock built up or it's at least fairly small.   The others you could be off by quite a bit, and yes, even 100k is alot to be off by in the grand scheme of things.

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.

Still waiting for your argument on why every tracking agency in the world is wrong about Sony jjseth.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Bodhesatva said:
TheSource said:
TheSource said:

Read Sony's financial statement guys. It says that Sony is now reporting units sold. The 5.5 million unit total came when Sony was saying how many PS3s were made to try to explain their huge loss in the gaming division, while also trying to meet their shipment goal of 6 million. The same report also says Sony had only sold 3.57 million units through March.

Doesn't it seem odd to you that only 4.28 million PS3s were sold to retailers through June 30 if 5.5 million were sold on March 31? It is a different system now.

5.5 million were made. Of those, 3.6 million made it to retail. Now, 3 months later, another 700,000 units made it to retail.

Again, don't trust an article that can't add 3.57 + .71

I don't think the 5.5 million needs to be changed - for all we know Sony hasn't made a PS3 since March 31. I mean they are trying to get rid of the current model of PS3 for the new model - so that number is accurate.

Sony is not lying here. They changed their system because Sony needed people to realize they are still selling units even though they likely stopped making new 60 gig units - which would have made it seem as if PS3 has stopped selling - which it obviously has not.

That really should explain it.

This really should explain it.

This really should explain it, and it does. The problem is jjseth doesn't understand it, so he's calling it fanboyism. It's kind of like that scene in 40 Year Old Virgin:

Jay: "Now you being condescending."
Smart Tech Customer: "Mm-hmm."
Jay: "You've been warned, alright? Let's move forward amicably."
Smart Tech Customer: "Okay, well, check this out. First of all, you're throwing too many big words at me. Okay, now because I don't understand them, I'm gonna take them as disrespect. Watch your mouth, and help me with the sale."

Just replace Jay with TheSource, and the Customer with jjseth, who doesn't understand this fancy shroud of Math and Logic we are trying to cover up what he knows to be the facts.

Around the Network

jjseth you started everything by saying things like this site is run by wiifanboys for no particular reason. You are the hostile one, the troll. People offered very good, clear explanations and you still don't get it, in fact you still continue with your doubts and attacks despite the clear explanation.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Why is it only Sony fanboys that complain about this stuff?

maybe your personal assistant can help you understand.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

jjseth said:

even 100k is alot to be off by in the grand scheme of things.

What grand scheme?

If they tacked on another 100K, how does this help "you" unless you work for one of those companies?

Are you going to lose a bet or something?

Predictions For Last Full Week of Sales in 2010)

WII - 80.35 Million

360 - 43.88 Million

PS3 - 41.40 Million

More terrible predictions coming Jan. 2011!!!

It's clear to me that the mods here are jerks who love to rip the users of this site if they happen to question how they arrive at their numbers. All I would expect is an answer that is given to me without being a smug pompous jerk and talking down to me. Talonman, there are better ways to say things without coming off the way you just did.

Honestly, I don't have the time for this kind of treatment by the staff and members of this site and it's time for me to leave and go home for the day from work.

I'll check this again tomorrow if you guys care to explain things in a manner that isn't condescending or designed to put down someone. Trust me, I do understand business and more and am college educated. But I don't treat people like crap and would expect the same in return.

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.