By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - IGN....R2 vs GEARS 2 Comparison!

ZenfoldorVGI said:
heruamon said:
The judge will be the sales figures...ther eare now MORE ps3 on the street, than when Halo 3 launched, so there can be NO excuses for why it CAN'T outsell Halo 3 and Gears 2.

You think Resistance 2 can outsell Halo 3?

There are only a few games I think can accomplish that feat.  Gears 2, LBP, Gran Tarismo....that's about it.  Oh....and so the Nintendo fans dont destroy me.....I am strickly talking about the HD consoles.....thank you.

Around the Network
forevercloud3000 said:
I feel IGN has in a manner of speaking, "punked" out on letting viewers know which they think is better. Over the years IGN has gone from beeing one of my favorite sites to one of the most biased I have ever seen. They would give what would seemingly be an equal game for PS3 and 360 a lower score on PS3's part.

It probably has been said before but why is it when a PS3 version of a game has a small hitch it gets a lower score then it's 360 counterpart(Orange Box, Fallout) but when the 360 version is technically inferior maybe even having game breaking glitches it will still maintain the same score(Oblivion, Bioshock, Devil May Cry 4)?

The good thing is that over the last month or so IGN has been trying to gain back their fanbase by beeing as non bias as possible. But to what extent? The sacrafice of giving a game what it deserved so not to incite controversy. This is what I feel happened with Fallout 3, and now the two big exclusives for the two systems.

I personally think R2 is the better game by far, that is my opinion. Yet I believe IGN might have thought Gears was. Yet to turn a new leaf they have evaded debate on whether one is better then the other by giving them the same score.

The only constant truth here is that BOTH of these games will be magnificent in their own right :)

The Orange Box was completely destroyed by EA, although it was better than IGN made it out to be.

Fallout apparently has game-crashing bugs, noticable slowdown and inferior graphics. I thought they were being nice by making it a 0.2 difference. Gamespot made it a 0.5.

Oblivion and BioShock were both ports released a year after the 360 version. IGN has expectations that if a port takes a year to make, they will change something significant. Both are amazing games, all versions are amazing, but faults cannot be forgiven so easily when they are repeated a year later.

IGN clearly did not prefer Gears. Why do I say this? Because, despite them giving Gears better aspect scores (Presentation etc.), they gave Resistance 2 the same score? Why? Because they enjoyed it. The final score is, as they have said multiple times, NOT an average of the individual aspect scores, because many games are more than the sum of their parts, some are less, and sound is not as important as gameplay in a game.

IGN remains my favourite review site. They were the only major reviewer to give Tools of Destruction and Uncharted the scores they deserved, and now Resistance 2. All three have a metascore of 89.

TOD got 9.4

Uncharted got 9.1 (but was PS3 game of the Year 2007)

Resistance 2 got 9.5

I say IGN are FAR from biased. In fact, I respect the fact that they notice differences between multiple versions of a game and point them out. As for DMC4... I'm not sure actually. Never played the 360 version. Hated the PS3 version. It seemed like a poor attempt at Ninja Gaiden.

Note that I am not bashing the PS3. I am defending IGN. Would I bash my only 7th gen console?

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

ZenfoldorVGI said:
Skeeuk said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
Snaaaaaake said:
Wow, baised towards Gears or what? Texture and framrate issues are a horrible thing to have yet it still scores 9.5. And all of this from a game that is meant to be the flagship of the 360's lineup? Doesn't look too good.

Hmm, I wonder which console this guy owns.

It's been said many times, the framerate issues are miniscule and unnoticable. You're only bringing them up because this is a 360 exclusive, and it's the only bad thing IGN said about the game in the whole review.

It's funny that this topic is all about Gears and not about R2.

That's how sales and news coverage will be too, though.

yes its tue gears sales will be more than R2, but non of that profit goes into my back back pocket, as long as game is good to play thats all that matters

coverage again gears coverage will be more, i mean more people and outlets will comeout of the turtle shell and give out reviews like WHAM! Gaming  did on orig gears.

im getting tired of g2vr2 threads

a sony fan will choose r2

and a 360 fan will choose r2

i think everyone should leave it at that

I don't think any self respecting 360 fan would choose R2 over G2, unless they also were a PS3 fan/owner, for several reasons, the most obvious is they would have no way to play it.

sorry i meant G2 it was late last night i typed that lol

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

TheTruthHurts! said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
heruamon said:
The judge will be the sales figures...ther eare now MORE ps3 on the street, than when Halo 3 launched, so there can be NO excuses for why it CAN'T outsell Halo 3 and Gears 2.

You think Resistance 2 can outsell Halo 3?

There are only a few games I think can accomplish that feat.  Gears 2, LBP, Gran Tarismo....that's about it.  Oh....and so the Nintendo fans dont destroy me.....I am strickly talking about the HD consoles.....thank you.

Do you seriously think LBP can outsell Halo 3? Gran Turismo has a shot considering past sales for GT games...I'm doubtful even Gears 2 could pass up Halo 3.

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

heruamon said:

Halo has a lot more appeal. It was a launch title last gen, perhaps the best launch title ever made. The sequel was also excellent, and so was Halo 3. Resistance 2 may be better than Halo 3, it may not. But it just does not have the fanbase that Halo does.

Combat Evolved was the best game on a console with comparatively (compared to PS2) few great games. Resistance, being new this gen, cannot hope to touch it in sales. Neither can Gears 2. Gears 2 will also outsell Resistance 2 because, typically, if you liked Halo, you'll like GeOW, and there are currently more 360 owners than PS3 owners. The 360 is also considered a shooter console.

So, in sales:

1) Halo 3

2) Gears of War 2

3) Resistance 2

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network

At the end of the day this is IGN's personal opinion of both games. People can critisise this and others will have different opinions but IGN's opinion shouldn't affect what people think.

Kantor said:
Halo has a lot more appeal. It was a launch title last gen, perhaps the best Non-Nintendo launch title ever made.

fixed

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Well, last couple of years I have not been THAT impressed with the PS3 but now I am finally starting to see some games that might make me want to purchase one. R2 is one of them as is KZ2.

Now about gameplay wise, I'm not arguing whether GOW2 is better than R2 or vice versa (I personally prefer FPS to third person) but graphically I think it's quite clear that GOW2 is the superior title. I have seen them both running in hi def and the textures are noticebly better on Gears as is the general sheen and shine. Gears really is a stunning looking title. Resistance looks good too but it's scale and sheer volume of things going on at once is more impressive than it's graphical prowess.

"Fantastic looking characters inhabit splendid worlds that feel truly alive. You’d be hard pressed to find a better looking game anywhere" So, why not give it a 10???

The graphics score its weird.

Gears 1 got a 10, gears 2 looks better but got 9.5 (ok maybe they are not as impressive as the first time, but still better than in the first game)

End of 2011 (made 02/01/11) 
Wii: 99.453 m
Xbox 360: 67.837 m 
Ps 3: 60.726 m

Best Games/Serie of the Generation

CGI-Quality said:
Lots of good points in here, I like!! For me, right now (at this very moment) I'm playing Resistance 2 and let me tell you, there's nothing bad about the visuals which are a big improvement over the first Rssistance. Now after this Friday, I'll come back and give my impression of Gears 2 when I play it because, IMO, it's not fair for me to judge a game I have not played yet

Were you playing with one hand and typing with the other, or were you typing with your toes?

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom!