By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - No 360 price cuts for at least 5 years

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=20924

There will be no new price cut for the Xbox 360 for “many, many years in the future,” according to comments made by Microsoft UK’s head of gaming and entertainment, Stephen McGill.

The price of all models of the Xbox 360 was cut in the UK in September by the equivalent of around $50.

The move followed similar cuts in North America and Japan, with the Xbox 360 Arcade models now being priced below that of the Wii in all major markets.

Although McGill was unable to speak for other territories, the global nature of the previous cuts may imply a general approach to pricing by Microsoft, who have repeatedly cut the price of the Xbox 360 but has seen no retaliation from either Nintendo or Sony.

Speaking to consumer website Videogamer.com, McGill commented, “I'm not going to speculate where it might go (the price of the Xbox 360) in five or ten years time, whatever. But we've obviously just reduced the price and that's because we can pass the costs reductions we have straight on to consumers. That's the right thing to do, obviously from a business point of view it helps it sell even more.”

When asked to confirm whether any further price cuts were now unlikely, McGill replied, ”Yeah. I mean absolutely. We're a great price now. I'm not dropping the price for many, many years in the future, I would suspect."

If this is what they are really going to do this might give the PS3 a better chance to catch up in sales. Also dose this prove that the 360 will be out for at least another 5 years =)

Proud Owner of  a Wii and Xbox 360 and a PS3(When I get the money)

Around the Network

don't buy it. We all know that when and if Microsoft is feeling the pressure again, it will drop the price again.

if the Premium edition is around 200 bucks, it should bring a lot of people into buying it.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

The price is good,but more interesting is that the 360 will be around for at least 5 more years. I knew it will be more than that,MS is making money off the 360,with it`s hdd`s,Live fees and more.

They will support it for as long as they make money off it,and there is no sign they will lose money supporting the 360. Good for the 360 owners,btw.

Yeah when he said for at least another 5 years i was so stoked haha

Proud Owner of  a Wii and Xbox 360 and a PS3(When I get the money)

Maybe no price cut, but they could add a hard drive to the Arcade at some point and put a TB drive in the Premium if they needed to spur sales.

"You can never jump away from Conclusions. Getting back is not so easy. That's why we're so terribly crowded here."

Canby - The Phantom Tollbooth

Around the Network

I don't really believe that they will not cut the price for 5 years. I would think that they will at least start selling the pro or elite at a cheaper price and cut the arcade. I guess that wouldn't be classified as a price cut.

If they actually don't cut the price again for five years then I could see them in third place eventually.

Hmm if 360 will last that long.

Stan85 said:

They will support it for as long as they make money off it,and there is no sign they will lose money supporting the 360. Good for the 360 owners,btw.

I don't think they are really making money with the 360, last time they did was with Halo 3, maybe they will when Gears 2 will come out...

crap.. Maybe the wii can last on $@250 for the next 2 yrs but i DOUBT sony or M$ are gonna stick with their current pricing plan for so long

I dont forsee many 360 price cuts though, maybe free LIVE or bundled games..

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

owner of : atari 2600, commodore 64, NES,gameboy,atari lynx, genesis, saturn,neogeo,DC,PS2,GC,X360, Wii

5 THINGS I'd like to see before i knock out:

a. a AAA 3D sonic title

b. a nintendo developed game that has a "M rating"

c. redesgined PS controller

d. SEGA back in the console business

e. M$ out of the OS business

Lol.. I call BS.