By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo Financial Results Briefing (Mid-Term Ended September 2008)

Given the higher Wii attach rates, better sales in the west, capcity for a price drop, less time since launch etc, it looks like Wii is going to have alot more million sellers than the DS did.

My guess at this point would be ~175 vs. ~95

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Around the Network

Yes Wii will probably have a lot of million sellers if it continues at this pace. But of course need to update some E/O sales if we want a few of those to show. So let's work on that haha. Considering Wii has 35 and DS has 69 we are obviously missing a few even if those represent shipments as well.

With these kind of sales its hard to imagine how many there will be after the holidays. Add another 10 for Wii and DS each possibly.

Inigo13 said:
Oyvoyvoyv said:

Sigh, look at the data instead of just stating stupid nonsense please.

Wii Software in 2008: 94.7M

Ps3 software in 2008: 47.8M

Wii 1st party software in 2008: ~ 62.4M

Ps3 1st party software in 2008: ~ 8.5M

By this, we can get

Wii 3rd party software in 2008: 32.3M

Ps3 3rd party software in 2008: 39.3M

I may be wrong, but I have always that 39.3 was a bigger number than 32.3.

Considering the Wii had more than 80 million units of software sold last quarter your numbers are way off.  Either you didn't understand the charts posted in this thread, or you didn't read the quarterly report. 

I'm having a difficult time figuring out where you got those 1st party estimates from, Oyvoy.

Totalling the Japanese and American yearly numbers from VGC, Nintendo have sold 33.2M games so far this year, from 61.2M total in those 2 territories. So for your 1st party sales estimate for Nintendo to work, Nintendo would have had to sold 29.2M of the remaining 33.5M we can attribute to "others."

So I think your Wii 1st party 2008 estimate is probably a good 10M too high. Unless you can show where you pulled that 62.4M from.

For Sony, they have sold 4.28M of the 28.4M total software sold between Japan and America, which makes your 8.5M estimate reasonable when "others" is added.

Or, just looking at the NPD numbers up there in post 1...

Wii's slope is clearly greater than PS3's. It looks like Wii has sold roughly 18M third party software compared to 13-14M for PS3 in 2008 in the US. If Wii has a 4-5M edge in the US, that means in the rest of the world (and October), PS3's third party software would have had to outsell Wii's by 11M to reach your PS3 7M spread.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Weeks 1 - 39:

France, Germany, Spain, & UK:

WII: 3.4m
PS3: 1.5m
360: 1.0m

Others (Benelux, Ireland, Italy?):

WII: 1.0m
PS3: 0.5m
360: 0.3m

Total Nintendo Europe Chart:

WII: 4.4m
PS3: 2.0m
360: 1.3m

Weeks 1 - 42:

Total Nintendo Europe Chart:

WII: 4.8m
PS3: 2.2m
360: 1.6m

Around the Network

Ughh! Grapefruit. VGChartz ate half my post again.

I was making a point about how this intereferes with the VGChartz data, and copy pasting a post form another thread in, but I must have done something wrong, as only the pasted part is left (it isn't directly copied and pasted, I updated numbers from VGC). 

Now what I did almost sounds like an insult.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Thx BKK, great work :D :D

Lots of good info. Thanks for yours efforts guys

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

so in 6 months, 1st party million sellers went up by 1, and third party went up by 9

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia

woopah said:
so in 6 months, 1st party million sellers went up by 1, and third party went up by 9

That's because WiiFit and SSBB already were released in Japan before April 2008, so only Mario Kart Wii was added to the list.