By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo Financial Results Briefing (Mid-Term Ended September 2008)

As for Europe, just counting the population of countries where Nintendo has been directly marketing its products through its subsidiaries or offices amounts to more than 300million people, and when we look at the entire EU, there are more than 450million people. From the population viewpoint, the U.S. market potential is 2.5 times as much as that of Japan, and Europe has an even bigger business potential. Of course, as of today, the ratio of people who play video games in Europe is less than those in the U.S. and in Japan, and so is their overall percentage of active gamers to their total population. Accordingly, today's European game market's potential is smaller than that of the U.S. On the other hand, we feel that the rapid expansion of the European market must be proof that there are major changes taking place in the active gamer populations in Europe.

When we look at the cumulative sales of Sony's PS2, it reminds us that the U.S. has more than twice the market potential of the Japan, and Europe has more than 1.5 times as much the Japanese market.

As these results date to the time before Nintendo started its challenge to expand the gaming population, the ratio of Europeans who are engaged in gaming today among Europe's total population, especially in the countries where Nintendo has been directly marketing its products, must be increasing. The actual European market potential of today, therefore, must be bigger than what we are seeing on the graph now.

I'm guessing Nintendo's European graph only covers "the countries where Nintendo has been directly marketing its products through its subsidiaries or offices". Anyone have a list of countries NoE handle directly?

Around the Network

I don't understand theses charts. They look like the PS brand is winning everything.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

BKK2 said:

I'm guessing Nintendo's European graph only covers "the countries where Nintendo has been directly marketing its products through its subsidiaries or offices". Anyone have a list of countries NoE handle directly?

http://www.nintendo.com/corp/distributors.jsp

Regional Distributor: Nintendo Europe

COUNTRY DISTRIBUTOR

Albania Nintendo Europe 
Austria Stadlbauer Marketing 
Belgium Nintendo Benelux 
Bulgaria Nintendo Europe

Croatia Stadlbauer Marketing 
Cyprus Nortec Multimedia 
Czech Republic Conquest Entertainment  
Denmark Bergsala Denmark 
England Nintendo U.K. 
Finland Amo Oy  
France Nintendo France 
Germany Nintendo Europe

Greece Nortec Multimedia
Greenland Nintendo Europe 
Hungary Stadlbauer Marketing 
Iceland Bergsala AB or Ormsson EHF 
Ireland Nintendo Europe 
Ireland (Northern) Nintendo U.K.

Italy Nintendo Italia
Luxembourg Nintendo Europe

Malta Nintendo Europe 
Netherlands Nintendo Benelux 
Norway Bergsala AB 
Poland Stadlbauer Marketing 
Portugal Concentra 
Romania Nintendo Europe 
Russia Noviy Disk 
Scotland Nintendo U.K. 
Slovakia Stadlbauer Marketing 
Slovenia Stadlbauer Marketing 
Spain Nintendo España 
Sweden Bergsala AB 
Switzerland Waldmeier
Turkey Nortec Eurasia  
Wales Nintendo U.K.

Nintendo's forecast of 16 million units shipped in 6 months is absolutely insane. They want to ship nearly 3 million per month? They've clearly stockpiled a lot of units.

TheBigFatJ said:
Nintendo's forecast of 16 million units shipped in 6 months is absolutely insane. They want to ship nearly 3 million per month? They've clearly stockpiled a lot of units.

Just 1.4M, as they would produce 14.4M in 6 months normally.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Around the Network

Here's the list of Nintendo Distributors in Europe:

Albania Nintendo Europe
Belgium Nintendo Benelux
Bulgaria Nintendo Europe
France Nintendo France
Germany Nintendo Europe

Greenland Nintendo Europe
Ireland Nintendo Europe
Italy Nintendo Italia
Luxembourg Nintendo Europe

Malta Nintendo Europe
Netherlands Nintendo Benelux
Romania Nintendo Europe
Spain Nintendo España
United Kingdom Nintendo U.K.

Austria Stadlbauer Marketing
Croatia Stadlbauer Marketing
Cyprus Nortec Multimedia
Czech Republic Conquest Entertainment
Denmark Bergsala Denmark
Finland Amo Oy
Greece Nortec Multimedia
Hungary Stadlbauer Marketing
Iceland Bergsala AB or Ormsson EHF
Norway Bergsala AB
Poland Stadlbauer Marketing
Portugal Concentra
Russia Noviy Disk
Slovakia Stadlbauer Marketing
Slovenia Stadlbauer Marketing
Sweden Bergsala AB
Switzerland Waldmeier
Turkey Nortec Eurasia

I've bolded the major countries where "Nintendo directly markets". The minor ones they also cover are pretty tiny markets which are not covered by any sales trackers. The bolded countries match exactly with the countries available to select on NoE's homepage.

This leads me to believe the European charts contain:

Benelux
France
Germany
Italy
Ireland
Spain
UK

Population: ~330m

But do not include:

Austria
Eastern Europe
Greece
Portugal
Scandinavia
Switzerland
Turkey

This explains the lower than expected numbers for Europe pretty well, and it makes sense for Nintendo's graphs to show only the countries where they are directly operating.

Oyvoyvoyv said:
TheBigFatJ said:

Just 1.4M, as they would produce 14.4M in 6 months normally.

Maybe -- but they're going to sell the majority of those units in the first three of that six month span.  I don't know if they anticipate borrowing them from the shipment pipeline (air shipping a large percentage them) or what, but they must anticipate selling a lot of units this holiday season.

Last year January and February were lean months for the Wii as shipment pipelines repopulated.

Oyvoyvoyv said:
johnsobas said:
Oyvoyvoyv said:
johnsobas said:

36 million sellers? vgchartz has wii at 29

vgchartz has 3rd parties at 14 million sellers while this has it at 21, vgchartz got the 1st party number dead on at 15, but it looks like there is way more 3rd party million sellers. Perhaps it's time to start guessing.

Again wii is ahead of the other system is 3rd party sales, even so lack of 3rd party sales argument will never die.

1) The Wii is actually selling less 3rd party than the Ps3. So far in 2008, there's a pretty decent lead for Ps3.

2) They have shipped data. VGChartz has sold data. All of the following titles are likely to have shipped 1M, but not sold 1M.

Cooking Mama: Cook off - 830K without PAL

Lego Indiana Jones - 790K

Naruto Clash of Ninja - 830K

Deca Sports - 890K

The Simpsons Game - 780K

And there's probably two more that have, but haven't sold more than perhaps 600K yet. VGChartz is pretty close here.

3) I don't see how there's tons of new info, pretty much just a confirmation that VGChartz is correct.

How do you get PS3 selling more 3rd party software than wii this year?  This report has wii way ahead in the US, just a peek at european charts shows wii 3rd party games all over week after week.  Japan is Japan.

Sigh, look at the data instead of just stating stupid nonsense please.

Wii Software in 2008: 94.7M

Ps3 software in 2008: 47.8M

Wii 1st party software in 2008: ~ 62.4M

Ps3 1st party software in 2008: ~ 8.5M

By this, we can get

Wii 3rd party software in 2008: 32.3M

Ps3 3rd party software in 2008: 39.3M

I may be wrong, but I have always that 39.3 was a bigger number than 32.3.

Considering the Wii had more than 80 million units of software sold last quarter your numbers are way off.  Either you didn't understand the charts posted in this thread, or you didn't read the quarterly report. 

johnsobas said:

36 million sellers? vgchartz has wii at 29

vgchartz has 3rd parties at 14 million sellers while this has it at 21, vgchartz got the 1st party number dead on at 15, but it looks like there is way more 3rd party million sellers. Perhaps it's time to start guessing.

Again wii is ahead of the other system is 3rd party sales, even so lack of 3rd party sales argument will never die.

Well Deca Sports is comfirmed so that makes 30.  We know Tiger Woods PGA Tour 08, DDR: Hottest Party, Super Monkey Balls: Banana Blitz, and Cooking Mama: Cook Off are all also probably platinum in shipments.  And the final 2 could be ones such as Naruto: Clash of the Ninja Revolution and Dragon Quest Swords.  Those would be my guesses.

They seem to be right though ont he 15 platinum first party because that's how many we have.  I've been saying for quite some time that there are a good amount of Wii games that with others sales they would be pushed over or with shipments they are alreayd platinum.  I'm assuming they are talkign about shipments so those would be what I would think.

but oh the haters aren't going to like this haha. I mean 69 DS million sellers and 36 Wii ones and the majority now being third party. Of course those are shipped they will eventually usually hit it in sales. But those graphs definitely show Wii as being a software powerhouse along with hardware and haters just don't like that. Back to arguing quality for them I suppose.