By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The "reviews don't matter" argument, as presented by Zenfoldor

Although this can fall into the "Hype" category, for large review source there are a lot of politics that are involved in reviewing a game ... Your paycheck comes (indirectly) from advertisements which are (mostly) for highly hyped games from major publishers; and your readers/viewers are dedicated gamers who tend to have bought into the hype. This tends to result in a lot of games being given a certain score regardless of whether they earned it or not.

Another thing is reviewers who start a game with biases or pre-conceived notions about the game. There will (always) be people who start a review knowing what score they will give a game regardless of the quality of the game but this isn’t (specifically) what I am referring to. A game like Battalion Wars 2 (probably) had many reviewers who went into the game expecting it to be a squad based third person shooter and what they ended up receiving was a Battleground RTS game; if you’re looking at a game and judging it against games it is nothing like you will have difficulty coming up with a fair review for it.

The last thing is the amount of time many reviewers actually play these games for. Most game reviewers will devote a day or two towards playing a game and writing the review which is perfect for a six hour single player game, but when you start having games that are 40 hours long with multiple multiplayer modes they really don’t have time to really judge the game. Some of the most hyped games will get more time devoted to them, but there are so many games being released (in particular during the holiday season) that it is practically impossible for most games to get a decent amount of time spent on them. This isn’t that bad when you’re dealing with a game that is so awful most gamers will give up long before you did, but when you’re giving games near perfect scores and only played 25% of the game it is highly likely that the game will be overrated.

Around the Network
blackstar said:
I hate AAA freaks

reviews don't matter that's why:

my lovely games :
http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps2/ultimatespiderman?q=spider-man%20ultimate

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps2/twistedmetalheadonextratwistededition?q=twisted%20metal

games I hate:
the stupid GTA games , Metal Gear Solid ,

Hi, we have things in common. Wanna be friends?

Tease.

Squilliam said:
blackstar said:
I hate AAA freaks

reviews don't matter that's why:

my lovely games :
http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps2/ultimatespiderman?q=spider-man%20ultimate

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps2/twistedmetalheadonextratwistededition?q=twisted%20metal

games I hate:
the stupid GTA games , Metal Gear Solid ,

Hi, we have things in common. Wanna be friends?

are u waiting for Infamous and want to jump from one building to another?

Fallout 2's 87% average is a shining example of why I don't trust critics. Easily the best WRPG I ever played.

It's about time Jo got banned, he was getting really annoying with the trolling.

OT: Ur right, every time a game has ads it gets a higher score. Look at the crap PES08 was on PS360 but ign put adds in the game so it got a high rating & graphics were praised. In the PES09 review, they actually said it was an improvement from last yrs poor graphics & framerate issues. Bet there were no ign ads this time in the game ;)

Around the Network

fuck

they put 94% to the average/good Fallout3 !!

shit !

I eat my crow ZenfoldorVGI

At least, my best trusted reviewer put the expected 7/10 to Fallout3
also :
Space dead 8/10
Motorstorm2 7/10
Valkirira chronicle 7/10

that is a good reviewer : a hype killer ==> gamekult.com

Time to Work !

libellule said:
fuck

shit !

also :
Space dead 8/10
Motorstorm2 7/10
Valkirira chronicle 7/10

I checked ur site.  8 is really high for that site, & 7 is a good score as well.  So I don't see how they are hype killers, they just rate lower on average than other sites.

@arsenal009,

well, "hype killer" was a bad word

let's say they put 1 point under the other reviewer allowing them to avoid to put 10/10 to game.

also, they dont use word like "insane, jawdropping, amazing" etc ...

That makes them "hype killer" in a way lol.

Time to Work !

libellule said:
fuck

shit !

also :
Space dead 8/10
Motorstorm2 7/10
Valkirira chronicle 7/10

Good maybe, but I don't think calling Fallout 3 average is correct in any.....well, let's not get off topic. I accept your crow, but know this wasn't the purpose of this thread.

What did that French magazine end up giving it?

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

RolStoppable said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

Good maybe, but I don't think calling Fallout 3 average is correct in any.....well, let's not get off topic. I accept your crow, but know this wasn't the purpose of this thread.

What did that French magazine end up giving it?

7/10, he mentions it in his post.

I thought the French magazine he was talking about was Maxim or something, Hold on.

Ok, it was CanardPC:

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=45471

What was their review.

Also, game is up to 93 percent on N4G, that's a really high score for their meta, considering it uses pretty much every review source in existance.

It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.