By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is Gran Turismo a big system selling franchise?

I am a huge Gran Turismo fan but had no idea about how well the franchise actually sells, according to this website each flag ship game has sold at least 9m. The franchise sells large amounts of software but is it a big hardware seller. Surely it has to be one of the biggest franchises Sony has which makes me wonder, why are people saying LBP is PS3's last hope when GT5 is still on it's way?

Around the Network

Gran Turismo is the king of system sellers. Every major game that comes out exclusively to the PS3 will be called Sony's last hope.

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Probably the game most likely to move hardware in Europe.

1. You seem like someone who just wants to draw praise on the PS3.

I'll answer anyway for the sake of it. Yes, GT is a big system seller. As a matter of fact, to date, no game has pushed consoles as GT has and is considered the biggest franchise ahead of FF, Mario and Pokemon series according to times/fortune.

I am a Gamer... I play games and not consoles. I have a PC and Console on which I game... I like games. End of Story!

Oh I see but cant help but wonder why people think the PS3 needs saving but the 360 does not. Sales for both of those consoles is pathetic, PSP and especially the Nintendo family are showing they need no "saving".

Around the Network

No one says it needs 'saving' anymore. But if Sony ever wants to break away from the Xbox, they need a miracle.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

Gran Turismo is a hardware mover, even Prologue moved hardware

If GT is such as huge system seller, surely it is there miracle then? What about FFXIII in Japan and also Killzone 2, more miracles? I don't understand why people make comments like that, PS3 is selling very well for the price it is at compared to 360 and further more why does the PS3 need to beat 360 in sales? Profit it what matters, not install base. :/

Big? a monolith.

As for breaking away from the 360, we don't need a miracle, we need games and a $300 price tag. Games are pretty much here. Price drop? don't know how soon is that...

Yes. GT5 will move consoles, but I don't know if it will be to the extent we might think, even in Europe. There is way more quality competition in the racing genre than there used to be. And Prologue surely moved a few consoles to the hardcore GT fans already when that got released.

So yes....and no.

Yes, it will move consoles, but no it won't single handedly turn the tide.

Can't we all just get along and play our games in peace?