By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - BREAKING NEWS!- SONY Issues Break Apart Controller PATENT! - PICS INCLUDED!

"Sony have registered the patent for a wireless motion sensitive controller for the PlayStation 3 that makes use of an "ultrasonic tracking system"."

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/sony-patents-ps3-motion-controller

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

can we consider this "official"?

I posted twice so people notice it better

Around the Network

@blackster,,,,it's official I think,,, wether Sony makes it or not will remain to be seen,,,,the minute Sony said we shouldn't let nintendo to run off alone(2weeks ago) I knew Sony might be thinking of some sort of motion control

@ Spartan
yeah - and other tricks up it sleeve.
Good to see Sony is getting it's game together again (pun may or may not be intentional. You decide!)
This might not be a universally liked device at this stage but it does show they're starting to take things a bit more seriously now.

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

I think it's a brilliant idea
motion controller with proper games and a price cut can RE-introduce the ps3 as a new machine

blackstar said:
motion controller with proper games and a price cut can RE-introduce the ps3 as a new machine

to be released with PS3 slim? ;)

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Around the Network

Are you guys looking at the same thing as me? That thing looks horrible.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Analog stick placement looks rubbish, however the idea of using ultrasonic is really quite novel.

Personally I doubt Sony will produce this exact design (Sony fans couldn't handle the boomerang, how would they react to a controller with knobs on the end?), but I think (and hope) they will produce something along these lines. Just with better button placement.

Spankey said:
blackstar said:

to be released with PS3 slim? ;)

ohhh that would be fantastic

Rath said:

Analog stick placement looks rubbish, however the idea of using ultrasonic is really quite novel.

Personally I doubt Sony will produce this exact design (Sony fans couldn't handle the boomerang, how would they react to a controller with knobs on the end?), but I think (and hope) they will produce something along these lines. Just with better button placement.

Agreed -  I'm pretty sure it's a patent of concept rather than a patent of design. (I hope)

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Rath said:

You mean that placing four buttons below an analog stick isn't a good idea?

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger