By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - BREAKING NEWS!- SONY Issues Break Apart Controller PATENT! - PICS INCLUDED!

Looks horrid to me. Also looks quiet fake. If it¡s real, I hope they change their design because this simply doesn't seem like it will work.

I hope I'm wrong on the "doesnt work" aspect.

Around the Network

So they use optical for x and y sensing, and use sonic for z sensing. How do they get orientation? Patterns in the reflective material? It's not 1:1 unless they figure that out.

And why can't they use sonic for x, y, and z?

Some interesting ideas here, but I agree that this particular device looks over-engineered.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

looks strange. hmm, why bother sony?

famousringo said:
So they use optical for x and y sensing, and use sonic for z sensing. How do they get orientation? Patterns in the reflective material? It's not 1:1 unless they figure that out.

Some interesting ideas here, but I agree that this particular device looks over-engineered.

to use sonic for x,y and z you would have to mount multiple detectors ( needs at least 4 for a good detection of x/y/z) all around the room and measure the time the signal takes to get to each of these and you need to calibrate teh system for the room first (and i guess that would be too complictaed for most users).

the mix of visual and sonic is a good thing since you can integrate that all into one detector and the detector can be placed nearly everywhere (it should just eb in a position where teh camera has a good view angle. if you use 2 sonic sources on each detector you can probably even detect orientation.

that looks horrible

Around the Network
quaiky said:
famousringo said:

to use sonic for x,y and z you would have to mount multiple detectors ( needs at least 4 for a good detection of x/y/z) all around the room and measure the time the signal takes to get to each of these and you need to calibrate teh system for the room first (and i guess that would be too complictaed for most users).

the mix of visual and sonic is a good thing since you can integrate that all into one detector and the detector can be placed nearly everywhere (it should just eb in a position where teh camera has a good view angle. if you use 2 sonic sources on each detector you can probably even detect orientation.

Thanks for that expalanation. I guess I don't really understand what sonic is capable of. So with this particular design, you figure the sonic  sensor can determine orientation when the controller is together but wouldn't be able to if it was broken apart?

Also, if this sonic sensor only really 'sees' depth, wouldn't two players using such a controller be a recipe for confusion? It seems to me that while the optical sensor would help sort out which is which, the sonic depth perception would get confused when two controllers are equidistant from the sensor.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

wow i hope this is just a concept design because it looks awful, please please go back to the drawing board before you release something like this

famousringo said:
quaiky said:
famousringo said:

Thanks for that expalanation. I guess I don't really understand what sonic is capable of. So with this particular design, you figure the sonic  sensor can determine orientation when the controller is together but wouldn't be able to if it was broken apart?

Also, if this sonic sensor only really 'sees' depth, wouldn't two players using such a controller be a recipe for confusion? It seems to me that while the optical sensor would help sort out which is which, the sonic depth perception would get confused when two controllers are equidistant from the sensor.

i didn't check the design enough maybe there is a way to detect orientation for the single parts too.

on the 2nd part you could possible use different sonic puleses for each controller so that each one has a unique signature.

i'm a peripheral junkie... so all i hope is that it has a decent game to go with it.

if this comes out, i'm curious to see how they package this. There are users that have the eyetoy already and those that don't. i'm not sure if people will be too excited about spending $100+ dollars for the bundle.

Just awful looking.
(>'.')>