By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - We Want 1080 Support for PS3 games past and future

Please patch the RFOM, MADDEN, etc, and all future games, show us our money matters to you

FAQ
http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.i
d=ps3&message.id=1543758#M1543758

List of Games With and Without 1080 Support

IMPORTANT-
OK we have been given a second chance. Lets keep this discussion focused. Any posts that go too far off the reservation will be deleted.
Talking about games systems other than the PS3 is a no no - don't do it.
There is a thread devoted to HDTVs so discussions about HDTVs will need to go there.
Discussions about updates belong in the update thread.
"you got a crap tv", "your tv is old", "get a new tv" - are all comments that insite flaming and arguments, this is not a thread to debate whether and hdtv os an hdtv, we are voicing our opinion that Sony should ADD support for this, we are not asking for Sony to take anythingaway so if you don't support this, kindly move on
Let the main focus of this thread to keep our gaming community informed about this issue and about which software titles when paired with the PS3 hardware will support televisions that only accept 1080i.

To date we have seen that the information on the back of game boxes is not 100% accurate. there are games that claim 1080i/p support, but lack it; there are games that do not list 1080 as a compatible resolution, but then still output in 1080. What we need most is confirmation for each and every game released as to whether 1080i/p is supported.

Hopefully this issue will be resolved in the near future, but till then buyer beware - hope this thread helps.

Background:
This is in regards to the issue where the PS3 will not upconvert a 720p signal to 1080i for tvs that only support 1080i. This function is seen in every other HD device . Most of the tvs affected are CRTs which are argued to have certain advantages over other HD displays - usualy trading off of size and weight. Recent polls done on respected sites http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=757787&highli
ght=crt  & http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=770141&highli
ght=1080i  have shown that about 40% of hdtv owners who have purchased the PS3 are affected. Many people respond to this fact by stating "get a new/better tv", this kind of response is not relevant nor is it welcome; please refrain from offering this kind of response. Recent information has been released that suggests that the PS3 hardware is capable of such upconversion - However Sony leaves it in the hands of game devlopers to fix each of thier games to output at 1080, while these developers leave the responsibility in Sony's lap. Generally both sides of that coin are silent on the issue.

The above plea is to enable us to play popular current releases in 1080 as well as all future games. The below is a list to keep us aware of what games available support 1080i/p and which do not.

Around the Network

Naughty Dog added the 1080 support to Uncharted, and they say it was easy; i say, if Sony is not gonna enable upscaling on their next firmware update, they should share the info to the devs on how to do it and force them to do it, but i really think that Sony should add this feature on their next firmware update, they did it with movies and PS1/2 titles, it should be doable with PS3 titles...

Upscaling to 1080p on a 1080p TV makes no differance. Unless you have a piece of crap the game will look exactly the same. I have a 50in A3000 Sony SXRD and my 360 looks exacttttly the same in 720p as it does in 1080p. The same goes with Lair and a couple other PS3 games. If I force the PS3 to put out 720p on a 1080p game it still looks the same.

No matter how you do it upscaling 720p content is always going to look the same on a good 1080p TV. The only way 1080p makes any differance is if a game is native 1080p. So unless devs start learning how to match Killzone 2 at 1080p their is no need to worry about it.

note: I can understand those with out dated HD displays that need 1080i, and I support your cause.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Is this really an issue? Are there people there saying "oh shit just turn this game off man. Its only running in 720!

I mean aside from some of the net nerds that spend their lives posting on net forums like this one (yeah I know that includes me) how many people out there really have any idea if they're not specifically told that their game isn't running at a specific resolution/?

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

The Anarchyz said:
Naughty Dog added the 1080 support to Uncharted, and they say it was easy; i say, if Sony is not gonna enable upscaling on their next firmware update, they should share the info to the devs on how to do it and force them to do it, but i really think that Sony should add this feature on their next firmware update, they did it with movies and PS1/2 titles, it should be doable with PS3 titles...

I tried running uncharted in 1080 but it wouldn't. R&C on the other hand runs 1080p with no issues.

Around the Network
Branko2166 said:
The Anarchyz said:

I tried running uncharted in 1080 but it wouldn't. R&C on the other hand runs 1080p with no issues.

yah same with me

If you live in PAL territories Uncharted will not upscale, this is only for NA

stof said:
 "oh shit just turn this game off man. Its only running in 720!

LOL

Be careful what you wish for RedDevils.

the PS360 are not capable of running many games in 1080p 60hz. In fact, many recent games have been 720p 30hz. Now, if you were to force the devs to make native 1080p games, they would have to drop the framerate. I don't know about you, but I find 30 frames/second to be horrible, and anything less would make FPS games unplayable.

i you're talking about upscaling, it doesn't make that much difference. upscaling a dvd from 480p to 1080p makes a bit, but 720 to 1080 is not that different

I don't see much difference (except text size) between 720p and 1080p in all my games.

But if you were to ask for 1080p 60 fps, be prepared for it to look like crap aswell and not have much going on-screen.