By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Shooter Genre

Nairu said:
Hmmm yes, that makes it sound like i was slating Halo. But yeah i probably could have phrased it better, my point was that even though Halo was rated marginally lower than MP in ratings on an average from games websites

No it wasn't, metacritic gives an average based on review scores from websites, print magazines, and other media outlets and their averages put Halo and Metroid Prime as virtually the same.  Both games received a 100 from Electronic Gaming Magazine which is considered by many to be the gold standard as far as reviewers go.

And I answered the question in my first post.  Multiplayer is what made Halo's name and sets it apart just like it made Goldeneye's name.  Sure they were both fun when played in single player but the multiplayer is what truly made both games legendary.  As for Metroid Prime having a longer shelf life I just don't understand that comment considering how many people have put hundreds if not thousands of hours into the Halo franchise (Halo 2 is still one of the most popular games on live even today).  Multiplayer basically it what extends a FPS's life, and the Halo series multiplayer is some of the most played around.

Around the Network

Halo's multiplayer. That's what made the difference.

PS3: 5.51m/51w, avg 108,039/w (up 239)
360: 12.93m/102w, avg 126,764/w (up 625), leads PS3 by 7.42m (up 70k), avg lead 18,725/w (up 386)
Wii: 13.52m/51w, avg 265,098/w (dn 1,102), leads PS3 by 8.01m (up 90k), avg lead 157,059/w (dn 1,341)

If 360 sales stabilize, PS3 sales increases needed to pass 360 by...
01/08: (008w) +875.8%, 04/08: (021w) +344.4%, 07/08: (034w) +219.3%, 10/08: (047w) +163.5%
01/09: (060w) +131.8%, 04/09: (073w) +111.4%, 07/09: (085w) +098.1%, 10/09: (099w) +086.7%
If Wii sales stabilize, PS3 sales increases needed to pass Wii by...
01/08: (008w) +1072.%, 04/08: (021w) +498.4%, 07/08: (034w) +363.4%, 10/08: (047w) +303.1%
01/09: (060w) +269.0%, 04/09: (073w) +246.9%, 07/09: (085w) +232.6%, 10/09: (099w) +220.3%
If PS2 sales freeze, Wii sales increases needed to pass PS2 (as of Mar07, 108.4m) by...
2008: (008w) +4373.8%, 2009: (060w) +0496.5%, 2010: (112w) +0219.6%, 2011: (165w) +0116.9%
2012: (217w) +0064.9%, 2013: (269w) +0033.1%, 2014: (321w) +0011.5%, 2015: (376w) -0004.8%
At +0% it will pass it in 358w, the week ending September 19th, 2014, at an age of 409w (7y44w).
Current age of PS2: 7y37w.

Last update: Week ending November 3, 2007

Oh and sorry if I seem to be coming on strong and attacking in my posts, I'm not angry or anything or trying to be confrontational, it's just the heat in my apartment is nearly unbearable and the fan I have isn't helping a lot.

Halo, MP - Bah!

Wolfenstien FTW!

"There are three types of lies : Lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli ( Made famous by Mark Twain )

PSN ID: DeviantPathways

Wii Number: 0081 3044 1559 2355

Legend11 said:
Well it would help if your question actually made any sense. Both Halo 1 and Metroid Prime got a score of 97 on Metacritic (Halo 1 based on 68 reviews, Metroid Prime based on 70 reviews), yet you post making it sound like Halo didn't receive reviews as good as Metroid Prime, had you actually did even a little research instead of just going by your personal opinion you would have realized why it may appear to others that you're just trying to piss on the Halo franchise.

Links:

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox/halo

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/gamecube/metroidprime

Halo have a greater difference between critics and user score.

Halo - 97 and 83
Halo (pc) - 83 and 66
Halo 2 - 95 and 79
Halo 2 (pc) - 71 and 50

Metroid - 97 and 86

Metroid 2 - 92 and 88

His question made sense. 

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

Around the Network

User scores are as unreliable as online polls since they can be easily manipulated by people, take Mass Effect for example, it's not even out yet but the user score for it on Metacritic is 8.3. Are you going to tell me that those people own the game? Anyways please stop trying to change his question, and it's already been answered several times.

Well, Metroid Prime isn't compared to Halo for 2 reasons:

1. Er... it's not the same genre. Metroid Prime is an adventure game. It's no more like Halo than Zelda is.

2. It's not a multiplayer game, muchless an online multiplayer game. Again this leads to them appealing to completely different audiences.

One thing though Legend, Halo's singleplayer is not even close to on par with Metroid Prime's, but then it's not really fair to compare the single player of a shooter to the single player of an adventure game.  The adventure game will always come out on top if it's well made.

naznatips said:
Well, Metroid Prime isn't compared to Halo for 2 reasons:

1. Er... it's not the same genre. Metroid Prime is an adventure game. It's no more like Halo than Zelda is.

2. It's not a multiplayer game, muchless an online multiplayer game. Again this leads to them appealing to completely different audiences.

One thing though Legend, Halo's singleplayer is not even close to on par with Metroid Prime's, but then it's not really fair to compare the single player of a shooter to the single player of an adventure game.  The adventure game will always come out on top if it's well made.

It's all a matter of preference especially considering that one is a pure shooter while the other is an action/adventure game, it's like saying FIFA 2008 is better than NHL 2008, it doesn't really make much sense except to show peoples' personal preference.

@Legend11,

Ok so what is your point? Halo and MP have practically identical review scores? Great, but the OP still has a valid point that you pretty much derailed.

MP still receives very little credit for a game that was reviewed as high as it was. The real reason has actually already been mentioned but you dismissed it pretty quickly. The vast majority of shooter fans are not looking for puzzles they just want to maim shit. You can take that for what you will but it is true. A lot of folks don't like MP's slower paced action, so it doesn't get lumped in with the great shooters.

With that said their are some major difference between the games and a lot of people do not even think of MP in the shooter genre. I'm not sure that I even think of it has in the shooter genre, but I do think it gets ignored way to much.

Next time please don't let the minutia of a post detract from a solid point.

To Each Man, Responsibility

@Sqrl

Metroid Prime has received a lot of credit.  It just seems like fans of Metroid Prime feel slighted because many console FPS fans choose Halo over it which makes sense since it's actually a FPS with multiplayer.  It also seems like fanboyism on the part of Nintendo fans who can't accept the fact that there are a significant amount of people that prefer a competitor's game over theirs in a similar genre.  It makes about as much sense as NHL 2008 fans getting mad at Madden 2008 fans for not giving their game credit or trying to force them to say Madden is superior, I mean what's the point if they're basically different types of games?

The original question has been answered several times in this thread and fans of Metroid Prime should just accept the answer given and move on.  People need to enjoy the game they prefer instead of getting angry because it's not getting the same amount of spotlight as another game in a similar genre.  Also people need to stop putting down FPS fans because regardless of what people think it actually requires quick reflexes and quick thinking to become great at a FPS online.