By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony on PS3 price: We've a business to run

"Sony has rejected calls for a PS3 price cut in time for Christmas, claiming the perceived high price of the console won't be an issue during the crucial holiday season.

Speaking to VideoGamer.com at the Games 3.0 conference in London yesterday, Sony Computer Entertainment managing director Ray Maguire said that while there will always be pressure on price from consumers, Sony "has a business to run" and has to "do the right thing" for its shareholders."

"When asked if Sony was feeling any pressure to cut the price of the PS3 in time for Christmas, Maguire replied: "Well the pressure comes from the consumers obviously and so therefore there's always pressure on price, but you know we have a business to run, and we have to make sure we're doing the right thing for the shareholders as well."

"At the moment there's a marketplace for PS3 and I think for this particular Christmas, with the kind of quality of games we're seeing coming out this Christmas, I don't think the price of the console is going to be an issue at all."

http://www.videogamer.com/news/28-10-2008-9778.html

Yarr.

Take my love, take my land..

Around the Network

Shareholders > Consumers...

Sounds familar.

Pixel Art can be fun.

I'd like another PS3 price cut, but I understand Sony can't afford a price cut just yet. They're banking on value and such to get them through the holidays. A price cut could kill them. I say "stay the course".

Not surprised.

I hate to say it buy i agree with sony, they just can't afford a price cut at this time. Hopefully they can survive the christmas with decent sales.

Around the Network

I have been saying this for months. A $100 price cut, like people have been calling for, would be a financial disaster for Sony. They would sell an extra 1m consoles this holiday, but lose $600 million in the process.

^ Exactly. Sometimes people just dont know how this works.

d21lewis said:
I'd like another PS3 price cut, but I understand Sony can't afford a price cut just yet. They're banking on value and such to get them through the holidays. A price cut could kill them. I say "stay the course".

Sony copies George Bush confirmed.

Pixel Art can be fun.

Good I want a PS4

That´s stupid, since they need the userbase to make profit and atract more devs towards the plataform. They should cut prices as soon as possible. A $50 cut rigth now would garantee a userbase big enough to assure easy mln sellers, like x360. The x360 userbase is big enough to garantee that any game half good reaches 1mln very fast. That´s a garantee of profit to devs and MS. Off course the fanboys here in the site are interested in the HD war, but the price cut is not only interesting for us, but for Sony too, it would assure the success of the plataform. If PS3 reaches 70-90 mln LTD, is a commercial sucess, even if the PS2 was better. At least they could make a profit out of it. As it is, they can risk reaching only 40-50 mln LTD and never get at least the R&D money back.

VASCO DA GAMA CAMPEÃO DA COPA DO BRASIL!!!

CONGRATULATIONS VASCÃO

VICE É O CARALH*

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future......NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E