By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony's financial report is up

Loud_Hot_White_Box said:

Loss slashed by 60%.  Baller.  Next year, profit.  The 2 years after: big profits.

Noobie: can you read, even?

That's a fairly optimistic outlook.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network
Max King of the Wild said:
Griffin said:
Max King of the Wild said:
What did Sony ship q1?

1.56mil PS3
1.51mil PS2
3.72mil PSP

The link makes it really easy to check out the quater shipments for that last 1.5years.

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/fr/08q2_eleki.pdf

Think they'll shipp 4 mil this quarter and 2 mil after that to make their projections? I think it's a sure shot.

I don't think there is any doubt they will not ship 6mil for the rest of the fiscal year.  I would not be surprised to see the figure raised by 2mil by the end of Q3.

While things could be better, the fact that Sony managed to reduce losses by a significant amount (YOY) despite selling less profit making ps2 hardware and more ps3's which they lose money on is encouraging.

This indicates that they have substantially decreased manufacturing costs of the ps3. If you consider that they managed to make a profit last year during the Christmas quarter then at the very least even with a strong yen they should be able to either come out with a profit or break even.

If the Yen stabilizes then things could be really looking up for Sony's gaming division. Only time will tell.

Spankey said:
starcraft said:
I expected a loss, but thats huge. I thought they would be close to breaking even.

The PS3 hardware loss must still be monstrous.

This doesn't bode at all well for that Australian price cut I'm holding out for.

Lol yeah - it's still a loss, but a 57 billion yen imporovemnt over last year, If they do what they did again, it's profits next year for the games division

An Auzzie price cut is still very possible

Yeah, more of a loss than I expected

Aussie price cut will not happen while our dollar is so weak. it was 95 us cents a while back, now it's just over 60c (its had similar drops against the yen)

uh.. can anyone help me here, i don't understand anything in this report

Around the Network

Also a notable mention is that the ps3 sales effectively doubled YOY and yet they still kept the losses down. Now if only bluray would take off it would ease the burden a bit :)

edit- Sorry double post

did sony as a whole make a profit?

I think we really need to start adjusting the PS2 numbers up. We have them with with about 12.4 sold over the last 6 quarters. But they have shipped 17.74mil PS2.

Branko2166 said:
Also a notable mention is that the ps3 sales effectively doubled YOY and yet they still kept the losses down. Now if only bluray would take off it would ease the burden a bit :)

Well, Blu ray players are selling better than forecast - recorers right on the money

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/fr/08q2_eleki.pdf

DVD players less so - make of that as you wish...

edit oops read that wrong - forecasts actually dropped since the last forecast...

Proud Sony Rear Admiral