Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony's financial report is up

Not very good but not very bad

I expected Sony to be positive or, at least, less negative

Time to Work !

Around the Network
bugrimmar said:
did sony as a whole make a profit?

if i'm looking at it right... about 250 mil in profit as a whole

Sorry about the double post, i deleted and edited my post and it got posted twice

At max, where does it say 250mil, i think it lists an income of $200mil in USD.  But i'm not 100% sure.

Griffin said:

? did you delete it? I was gonna say you were right because I forgot the Sony BMG loss which was 57mil.

Around the Network

where'd you find that? what page of the report?

doesn't sound like good news to me. PS3 has been out for 2 years and they are still digging a whole for themselves. What's the total at now? -3.5 billion or so? It was like half a year ago everyone was claiming they were breaking even because sony wade a profit in the games division, now it's pretty clear that PS2 sales had made huge profits last holiday season that balanced things out. With that said they will probably get a profit again in the holiday quarter and go back to a small tiny loss after that.

That price drop everyone isn't looking like it will come soon. Luckily they are getting healthy sales without it.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

bugrimmar said:

Its on page 1, its around the middle and listed as Net income of 200.

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/fr/08q2_sony.pdf

@max, sorry about the edit to that post.

bugrimmar said:

last sentance before it goes into the different divisions of Sony or you can add each division's profits (or minus loss)

johnsobas said:
doesn't sound like good news to me. PS3 has been out for 2 years and they are still digging a whole for themselves. What's the total at now? -3.5 billion or so? It was like half a year ago everyone was claiming they were breaking even because sony wade a profit in the games division, now it's pretty clear that PS2 sales had made huge profits last holiday season that balanced things out. With that said they will probably get a profit again in the holiday quarter and go back to a small tiny loss after that.

That price drop everyone isn't looking like it will come soon. Luckily they are getting healthy sales without it.

@bolded: Please read the financial report at page 4 of the PDF.

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/fr/08q2_sony.pdf

Elsewhere in the report you will find the explanations you require.

Also, read this extract from FishyJoe:

An operating loss of ¥39.5 billion ($379 million) was reported, an improvement of ¥57.2 billion year-on-year.  
The decrease in operating loss in the current quarter was primarily due to PS3 hardware cost reductions and increased sales of PS3 software, as well as strong sales of PSP hardware.

Sony are not out of the hole yet, but they're certainly improving in the Games division.

Sony play the long game

Proud Sony Rear Admiral