By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Eternal Sonata bombed, 10k 1st week(NA).

Did anybody else think the ps3 version would do better than this?

Around the Network

not really, a ported RPG of over a year old... what do you expect?

Especially releasing in a month where there are 10 games I'd get before this...

and let's not mention they are charging FULL PRICE for it.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

Timed Exclusives = Bombs

look at Bioshock as well....

The Last Remnant will follow....you blew the coop S-E!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

alright you two both have good points. Bioshock is a good example.

All it has to do is sell 100k to be worth the porting money, it has pretty much already done that. Anything much past 100k is just gravy.

BTW it sold a total of 250k on the 360, so its not even off the table for the PS3 version to sell better in the end. It's not like Eternal Sonata was any kind of chart buster. After only a few weeks in Japan it's less then 30k behind the 360 release.

My honest guess, this ends at around 150-200k between Japan and NA total. A bit less then the 360 version but for a ported game, 60-80% of the sales of the first release isn't bad at all.

If this was released on both at the same time I don't think there's any argument to be made, the PS3 version would have sold better easily. The same is true about just about any JRPG, the base is just heavily in Sony's favor over in the land of the Rising sun.

As to Bioshock, I think the PC release is a mitigating factor as well. A lot of people who didn't want it on 360 had the PC version to go to. It's not like it was 360 or nothing like Eternal Sonata and one or two other truly exclusive 360 games (I can't think of any other good 360 only games off the top of my head, usually only the stinkers stay 360 only and the rest get ported. I'd say Halo 3 but given that Halo 1 and 2 were ported....ditto for Fable 2 and Gears 2, almost guaranteed PC ports).

PSN ID: ChosenOne feel free to add me

Around the Network

uhhh duh.....and i think everyone above pointed out the obvious reasons.

Unless 3rd party devs are completely ignorant, M$ looks pretty smart. They can say, "Look at how much your game sold on the PS3...nothing. Look at our console.....a lot. Make exclusives for us" whilst ignoring that year old, full price, no hype, anyone who wanted to play would have DEFINITELY played by now, games will of course do bad. Next, Tales of Vesperia.

The better test is 360/PS3 simultaneous releases where neither version is horridly botched (Fallout 3 for instance). In NA centric games (FPS games for instance) the 360 seems to do better, in Europe and/or Japan centric games (Pro Evolution Soccer for instance, or JRPGs when they start getting dual releases) the PS3 version wins pretty handily.

I would bet this will only pick up as the install bases get towards parity and the 360 gets hacked by pirates more and more often (its still kind of niche, but if games keep getting pirated well before release Gears style, it will be a much bigger problem).

When every game gets trophies that should help the PS3 version of games even more since it eliminates achievements as a reason to prefer the 360 version. That was a very smart move by Sony, now they just need to make sure all games support it 2009 and on.

Incidentally even a lot of America centered games end up higher in Europe and will certainly be higher in Japan. GTA4 for instance has higher weekly sales on PS3 now, largely from European demand. Add to that the Euro being worth far more then the dollar and a 500k advantage in Europe is worth more in terms of margin then a 1 million advantage in North America (since the Euro is worth 1.5 dollars a lot of the time these days). Again thats why EA earns most of its money on the PS3 now even though sales are still slightly higher overall on the 360.

PSN ID: ChosenOne feel free to add me

I was going to get it, but with LittleBigPlanet, Valkyria Chronicles, Resistance 2, etc. all coming out, I decided to wait.

It's a year old port releasing during a period crammed full of amazing new releases.

This is what they get, namco aswell as 2K better get there acts together and start making multi-plats from the begining OR exclusive till the end of time, if not bombs like this will happen.

And quite frankly... in my honest opinion... Enchanted Arms Port >>> Eternal Sonata Port. lulz ooohhhh ya i went there!

Come on guys. Even accepting the year old port argument, this is very poor.

With the constant adamant determination that the PS3 can shift JRPG's in great numbers, a pretty good game like ES should have sold a fair bit more.

Period.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS