By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - IS BLU-RAY THE FUTURE 4 GAMING

Blu Ray is not the future. It is the present.

Around the Network

Its a good argument this.

I dont think DD will replace Physical Media but it will certainly continue to enjoy meteoric growth.

Lets not forget that games from the Last gen are already available in full for purchase on Xbox Live...

The point made about cutting your market down is valid and for that reason I agree that some form of Physical media will be required.

However the resale of games preowned is becoming an issue for the Devs.
David Braben and some other high profile industry figures have been very vocal in decrying the practice.

Maybe some sort of online lockdown or activation may be required next gen to curb the practice.

akuma587 said:
I'll be genuinely surprised if all the consoles next gen that are using a disc-based format use something else than Blu-Ray.

I actually think a solid-state flash (or some similar) will be the future of gaming.  The speed of memory access of solid-state continues to faster, and the price continues to get smaller. 

I would love to see future multi-gig titles make their way over to a a memory card that is 1.5" x 1".  I think that is the future of gaming (as soon as securing this technology becomes more efficient and data-access times improve).

MarioKart:

Wii Code:

2278-0348-4368

1697-4391-7093-9431

XBOX LIVE: Comrade Tovya 2
PSN ID:

Comrade_Tovya

V-r0cK said:
mesoteto said:
V-r0cK said:
mesoteto said:
nope downloads will be

You and other people can keep saying that but itll never be more main stream than physical media. For one, parents buy the games the most for their kids, its simpler for them to go to a store and pick it up. People like to hold onto and touch something real that they purchase and can keep to display as a collection. Another, bandwidth cap and not everybody has high speed internet or can afford them. itll take them much longer to finish downloading the game then to just go to a local electronics store, etc. Unless those that prefer digital downloads are either fat and/or lazy people that cant get off their couches then i can see where that point is going.

tell that to teh growing industry that is wii ware, xbox live market place, and the psn.....then we can talk

you're telling me that the majority of those under 100million next gen owners are using digital distribution to get their games?? if you were able to purchase ALL your games online would you stop going to your local game store? how many people do you think wouldve wanted Halo3 as a DD instead of an actual physical disc? i doubt not many.  If as you say the industry is growing towards DD, and seeing how MS is strongly towards it, then their next Xbox console better not have a optical drive what so ever or else it proves that DD isnt as big as you think it is and people still prefer disc. You expect everything will be all downloaded onto the console's HDD..but what happens when its full? upgrade to a bigger HDD and reinstall all those games over again? With a disc you dont need to worry about storage space. Everybody wants everything to be as simplest as possible and nothing is more simple than just pop in teh disc and play. No internet required, no account required etc. As much as you think everybody has highspeed internet and things are getting cheaper etc, not with how the economy is going and believe it taht not everybody can afford fast internet. Many of you are looking at a North American perspective where we have it better then the rest of the world so dont think every else in this world can have what you have. Didnt India just start having PS2?

I like your argument instead of rational thought you jump straight to the extreme and put words in my mouth that make it sound like I intend to have all physical media replaced with downloadable content with in the next year…pure genius when you cant actually discredit my statement you ignore it and make rash accusations……

you're telling me that the majority of those under 100million next gen owners are using digital distribution to get their games?? if you were able to purchase ALL your games online would you stop going to your local game store? how many people do you think wouldve wanted Halo3 as a DD instead of an actual physical disc? i doubt not many.  If as you say the industry is growing towards DD, and seeing how MS is strongly towards it, then their next Xbox console better not have a optical drive what so ever or else it proves that DD isnt as big as you think it is and people still prefer disc. You expect everything will be all downloaded onto the console's HDD..but what happens when its full? upgrade to a bigger HDD and reinstall all those games over again? With a disc you dont need to worry about storage space. Everybody wants everything to be as simplest as possible and nothing is more simple than just pop in teh disc and play. No internet required, no account required etc. As much as you think everybody has highspeed internet and things are getting cheaper etc, not with how the economy is going and believe it taht not everybody can afford fast internet. Many of you are looking at a North American perspective where we have it better then the rest of the world so dont think every else in this world can have what you have. Didnt India just start having PS2?

if you were able to purchase ALL your games online would you stop going to your local game store”

You might not like it but with in ten years the majority of sales will come from a downloadable source with a physical disk to get the stragglers and the minority of collectors…look at steam tons of people buy brand new games off of that service for the pc market b/c its more convenient for them so yes if I was able to do it

You expect everything will be all downloaded onto the console's HDD..but what happens when its full? upgrade to a bigger HDD and reinstall all those games over again?”

Right now you can buy terabyte hard drives for a few hundred dollars so you don’t think that in 3-5 years when the next system comes out it wont have something more then 120 gig max? And where is the problem with just pop in in a new hard drive for different games? You don’t mind ding it for a disc now

.  If as you say the industry is growing towards DD, and seeing how MS is strongly towards it, then their next Xbox console better not have a optical drive what so ever or else it proves that DD isnt as big as you think it is and people still prefer disc”

And why would a system go strictly downloadable? Did I say that any where in my argument …no….i didn’t if you want to have a discussion that’s fine but please stop punching babies (you didn’t actually say you were but I just assumed that you were so I can use that against you now) and since we are in the land of unicorns and make believe the next ps system  might as well not have wifi since that might take away from the future that is blu ray and the wii should not even exist since it can do anything at all and lets go have tea with  master chief and sold snake, liquid can come to but only if he is nice

Everybody wants everything to be as simplest as possible and nothing is more simple than just pop in teh disc and play”

Well unless all I have to do is hit a button, I mean that will save me from having to get up and walk over to my machine and then opening a case then putting the disc in

“Many of you are looking at a North American perspective where we have it better then the rest of the world so dont think every else in this world can have what you have. Didnt India just start having PS2?”

Answer me this in the last  4 years has the tech in the world not been a booming industry? So what makes you think that the rest of the world is all of the sudden going to stop investing in new tech? sure in Indian they might have lower quality tech then what we do in the states in five years but they will still have more ad better tech then they do now every day miles of better cable, fiber optic, and phone lines are laid…..that is not going to stop and deep down you know it

you're telling me that the majority of those under 100million next gen owners are using digital distribution to get their games”

No but more then half have used their respectve systems to down load one game or another

Comrade Tovya said:
akuma587 said:
I'll be genuinely surprised if all the consoles next gen that are using a disc-based format use something else than Blu-Ray.

I actually think a solid-state flash (or some similar) will be the future of gaming.  The speed of memory access of solid-state continues to faster, and the price continues to get smaller. 

I would love to see future multi-gig titles make their way over to a a memory card that is 1.5" x 1".  I think that is the future of gaming (as soon as securing this technology becomes more efficient and data-access times improve).

i agree that is going to play a part, imagine getting teh entire mgs libray  in a package little bigger then a credit card

Around the Network
Comrade Tovya said:
akuma587 said:

I wonder whether technology could by next gen could get to the position where the consoles all have 1TB hard drives and could play games from SD cards.  You buy one or 2 SDHC cards of 64gb and take it to the shop.  You then transfer the game (or games) you want on to the SDHC card and take the card home.  Transfer speeds would of course have to be far far faster than what they currently are.  You can then either play the game from the SDHC card or transfer the game on to the massive hard drive and just play the game from the hard drive.  No more swapping discs.  That would be great but I don't see it happening.  But I think downloads are even more unlikely to be the future.     

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

joshin69 said:
To all that swear downloads are the future of gaming, have a think about people without or very restrictive access to the net for what ever reason. Are you gonna cut them out of the loop as a business? if yes you wont last a moment in a competitive market. Why because you are cutting your options. Just because you are an online gamer don't be fooled into thinking nearly everyone else is.

No but this is where we are going. If players aren't online, they won't be able to access online services, which become a important source of revenue. DLC is becoming an alternative for software company as well so... why keep investing in offline players ?

You know a lot of people buying computer not to go on the internet ?

Evan Wells (Uncharted 2): I think the differences that you see between any two games has much more to do with the developer than whether it’s on the Xbox or PS3.

Sardauk said:
dharh said:

I predict PS4 will use blue ray, Wii 2 will use an internally developed proprietary format that will probably be only double DVD space (maybe even just multi-layered DVDs), XBoX 720 will have fully downloadable library (they may supplement this with DVD installs using multiple DVDs obviously).

So by considering the cumulated sales of the WII and the 360, Blue-Ray is ... not ... the future of gaming ?

Downloads are the clear future of gaming (in the sense that at some point all consoles will exclusively use downloadable games) but that may be 10 years from now, 20 years from now.  Until then I dont think there will be one single format all consoles use. After cartridges (which one could argue was as disperate a format as all the different disc based formats there are now) DVDs were the only and will be the last format to completely govern a generation.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

tuoyo said:
Comrade Tovya said:
akuma587 said:

I wonder whether technology could by next gen could get to the position where the consoles all have 1TB hard drives and could play games from SD cards.  You buy one or 2 SDHC cards of 64gb and take it to the shop.  You then transfer the game (or games) you want on to the SDHC card and take the card home.  Transfer speeds would of course have to be far far faster than what they currently are.  You can then either play the game from the SDHC card or transfer the game on to the massive hard drive and just play the game from the hard drive.  No more swapping discs.  That would be great but I don't see it happening.  But I think downloads are even more unlikely to be the future.     

Well, I think that the gaming industry would always prefer that you have a game "physically" rather digitally alone.  I think best bet would be kind of like the PC industry did.  You install the game onto your console harddrive, but have to have the "original" SD card (or something similar) that is hard-coded with the game key that matches the game that is on your harddrive... Kind of like how the PC software industry installs the game on the PC harddrive, but you need the "original" CD/Disc/DVD, etc to actually access the game on the harddrive. 

No matter how you look at it, the little spinning disc will be replaced whether it be CD/DVD/DVD-Ram/Blu Ray, etc,etc.

All technolgies become obsolete, it's just a matter of what replace them.

For that matter, as much as I love the Blu Ray format, it too soon enough will become a bygone tech once broadband speeds hit the 20meg mark as a low-end standard (which is actually less than a decade from being a reality anyway)

MarioKart:

Wii Code:

2278-0348-4368

1697-4391-7093-9431

XBOX LIVE: Comrade Tovya 2
PSN ID:

Comrade_Tovya

Solid state will not be cheap enough by the time next gen rolls around to implement. Pound for pound discs are still WAY cheaper. The read speed advantage is there, but the cost is too prohibitive.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson