By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - IS BLU-RAY THE FUTURE 4 GAMING

KBG29 said:
If you saw that Killzone 2 trailer earlier today you know the awnser to this. GG say's each level is running 2GB of data at the least, and this is with compression. That is not to say it could not be done on DVD if the PS3 used that format. The game could easly be made with about 7 DVD's, but that is not really acceptable. Other PS3 titles are also showing just how important Blu-ray is for th high def gaming experiance.

Heavy Rain is another game that is going to use a massive amount of data. Not only are they using texture levels towards the Killzone 2 level, but they are also using multiple branching points. That means a lot of different locations, and a vast game filled with very hi-res textures, and audio. Little Big Planet shows the muscle of Blu-ray with tons of tutorial videos, and thousands of textures at your disposial. This game would be on 2 DVD's at the least, and the create mode would have to be downsized. Resistance 2 also does a great job of showing just how big a game can be thanks to Blu-ray. It is basically a AAA single player FPS, an online FPS with more depth than a UT game, and an MMOFPS.

This year was just the start of why Blu-ray was a must in the PS3. Gamers will love the idea of Blu-ray in the PS3 10 years from now. It was a little ahead of its time at the beginning, and people are scaared of change. But with games like Metal Gear Solid 4, Little Big Planet, Killzone 2, and Heavy Rain showing what a differance Blu-ray makes, I can garentee that everyone will come to love the format for gaming.

As far as sales go, I wish the 360 was doing better. PS3 is just amazing selling the way it is with the limited amount of HQ games and the hig price tag. Both systems really need to do good, and bring HD gaming to the forefront. Hopefully the NXE and Home can generate some interest in these things for next year. If not a PS3 price cut to $299, and the best line-up any console has ever seen in a single year should be able to get things moving in the right direction.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

And remember Blu-ray isn't only used for games but also won the format war against HD-DVDs in the movie sector. As long as prices of Blu-ray players will keep as high as they are at the moment people will more and more become attracted to PS3 because of its multifunctionality.

With PS3 becoming cheaper in the future Blu-ray will definitely replace DVDs. But such a process just needs some time.

Around the Network

Hey KGB, you might want to update your sig. Specifically numbers 2, 3, 4, 6 and 7.

8 Reasons why PS3 will win 08 and Beyond

1. Blu-ray will become the only HD movie format, PS3 will be the cheapest 2.0 player. (CHECK)
2. PS3 will drop to 349/449 by may, then again to 299/399 by november.
3. PSN will become Democrat, to the iTunes Repubilcan or visa versa.
4. PSN will rival or surpass Xbox live with the launch of Home.
5. GT5, Getaway, KZ 2, LBP, MS2, RFOM 2, Socom, White Knight, Infamous, MLB 08, 1st party exclusives.
6. MGS4, Haze, Heavy Rain, Tekken 6, LA Noire,Yakuza, FFXIII (Japan) 3rd Party exclusives.
7. Better on PS3, Name brand GTA4, DMC4, Madden 09, Fifa/PES 09 3rd party.
8. HDTV's below $400, FW updates (IPTV, PS2 Emulation, In Game XMB, more..).

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Is Blu-ray the future of gaming? Not to me it isn't.

Generation 8 Predictions so far.....(as of 9/2013)

Console that will sell most: Nintendo Wii U

Who will sell more consoles between Microsoft/SONY: SONY

nope downloads will be

I severely doubt the next Wii will use Blu Ray. In fact given that the current Wii doesn't use actual DVD I am 95% certain that the next Wii will not use Blu Ray. So no blu ray is not the future of gaming since the console made by the market leader going into the next generation will not use Blu Ray.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

Around the Network

@tuoyo:

Good point, actually.

But where from do you know that the next console of Nintendo will again be such a huge success as the Wii? Just look at Sony. PS2 sold more than 125 mill. units according to this site. Now just compare it to PS3 sales.

mesoteto said:
nope downloads will be

You and other people can keep saying that but itll never be more main stream than physical media. For one, parents buy the games the most for their kids, its simpler for them to go to a store and pick it up. People like to hold onto and touch something real that they purchase and can keep to display as a collection. Another, bandwidth cap and not everybody has high speed internet or can afford them. itll take them much longer to finish downloading the game then to just go to a local electronics store, etc.  Unless those that prefer digital downloads are either fat and/or lazy people that cant get off their couches then i can see where that point is going.

akuma587 said:
I'll be genuinely surprised if all the consoles next gen that are using a disc-based format use something else than Blu-Ray.

Hmmm not sure.

Blu Ray is extremely expensive to license and in 4 years there will be alternatives particularly if you arent bothered about distributing High Def films which will almost certainly still be Blu Ray based for physical media.

I think some resurgence of HD DVD could come about.

The tech already exists and is much cheaper to produce than Blu Ray and the read speeds are improved. Factor in that the DVD factories can be retooled to push the format readily and the only downside is the non scratch proof surface and reduced capacity.

Of course if Blu Ray becomes more mainstream and is finally adopted by the public as a viable alternative to DVD then this may force the console makers hands.

If that comes to pass then I whole heartedly agree with akuma587

BR will be the cheapest option for the next gen IMO since it will have a decent userbase and there is plenty of BR players out there already. The market might not take it too lightly to switch again. Also, there is no need for a new format, since the new BR discs will be able to hold more then 50gig as shown in some articles on N4G.

I dont think DD will go down to well, since having a physical disc in ur hand allows you to trade it in at local games shop this helps with the purchase of a new game, it allows gamers to swap games with friends and play games at each others houses. On DD, these things will stop to exist, games boutiques will lose their business, complications will arise when your console's HDD is filled and you need more memory. The second hand market will stop to seize to exist and this will be a big blow to all gamers. e.g. if I am not sure on a game, or it is not a triple A title, I will not buy it at full price, I will pick up a second hand copy. This won't be possible with DD.

If games this gen already are taking up almost 40/50 gig, can you imagin how much space games will take on the next gen? Given the fact that many countries still do not have great connectivity or suffer from slow broadband, it will be a major gamble for all game Publishers as well as the likes of Sony, MS and Nintendo since they will potentially be alienating a large group of gamers.

There are more questions then answers with DD and at present, BR seems to be the cheapest and best medium to launch future games on, especially considering the growth in BR sales and BR players as well as cheaper production costs as time goes on. It is only feasible to make this assumption.

Sony & MS will have Blu-Ray next gen.
Nintendo will not.

Downloads will play a bigger part, but will not replace physical media next generation.