By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Resistance 2 will get higher metacritic score than Gears of war 2!

ZenfoldorVGI said:
FinalEvangelion said:
TBH, I'm glad I'm away from all this FPS hype / wars being in Japan.

Gears 2 will get higher review than R2. It's just the way it works, even if both are equally good games (which it looks like they are).

Still, for me, Valkyria Chronicles, Last Remnant, WKC, Mirror's Edge, Fallout 3, TR Underworld have to be bought before I get either of these titles. Just my gaming preference.

Unfortunately, IGN took that cop-out as well. Gears 1 was about as good of a shooter as I've played. Looks like Gears 2 is as good. It seems impossible that R2 could be better, but it could be equal. I doubt you'll get a lot of reviewers saying KZ2 is better than Gears.

Anyway, reviews don't matter. I'm just saying that yes, these games qualities are opinion, and if you've never played either one, you can't form a valid one. However, while saying "they are both equally good"  and a very nice thought by you(which i appreciate), it's still an invalid opinion. Everyone who plays these games will prefer one over the other. Honest opiinions, even fanboy ones, are better than cop-outs. To me, IGN did a worse thing than when they gave those games 10/10s. They are bleeding credibility. Gamespot will probably pull the same crap.

The only reason I said that they will probably be equally as good is because there will be many disagreements with equally valid arguments.  I will have an opinion as well when I play both of them of which I prefer. 

KZ2 will be an interesting one when it comes to reviews.  Having played it, I can definitely say that it will be a top tier shooter.  Due to external factors, like the quality of the first one and the expectations that this one built, I can see some reviewers giving it a 7/10.  Some seeing it as a quality game will probably give it a 10/10.

Unfortunately, there are many external factors in the review system, and that is bound to happen.  jRPGs without the name "Final Fantasy" have the "89 barrier", as both ToV and Valkyria have shown.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

Around the Network

Y

Take my love, take my land..

selnor said:
UPDATE!!!!!!!!

Gears 2 - 94 after 23 reviews.

R2 - 89 after 10 reviews.

lol already lost .... but i will get it anyway

i agree with what people said about the IGN tying the games score thing. It isn't consistent with what everyone else has rated them. Resistance 2 seems to be an 85 game and gears a 95 game. I still think Lamespot will give Resistance 2 a 9.5 though.

gears of war 2 takes skill to play. R2 does not its like COD4 spray and pray. unlike gears you have to be sneaky or just have a firefight.( or chainsaw em :)

Around the Network
ZenfoldorVGI said:

1. Opinions are invalide when they aren't opinions, but assumptions. If some one has never played either game, they don't have an opinion about the, they have an assumption. In your example, if you said Oblivion and God of War are just as good, but you had never played Oblivion, then that would be an assumption. Invalid.

2. Hell yes, I believe IGN tied these games on purpose. Maybe to be fair and balanced, maybe because the teams made a deal with each other, so they wouldn't over-rate, but yes. There are a million reasons to tie it, and none to name a winner, because it would do nothing but get a large mob of fanboys with assumptions to discredit them. If the games were close, I have no doubt that it was debated on how to score them against each other. IGN doesnt' use an averaging system. The reviewers could give those games any final scores they wanted. You think those scores weren't even discussed before they were posted? Most people realize that this was probably(but unprovably) a cop-out by IGN. The motives are obvious, and real. You sir, are naive if you believe that is impossible.

3. All reviews are opinion. Facts and bullet points mean nothing. Reviewers don't score games based on the positives and negatives you can come up with. Giving that information in a review is fine. The important thing is if the game came together in a cohesive and immersive package. That, my friend, is all a score means. An opinion. A critic without an opinion is like a carpenter without a hammer. Being able to look past ones own opinion and score a game based on what general fans of the games opinion would be, is what Famitsu does. Nobody is ever completely unbiased, and attempting such will inevitably lead to misratings of games by overcompensation.

I really dont think they lined the scores up just to stop arguments/please fanboys. IGN has more integrity than people give them credit for, and strictly speaking it is only ONE reviewer who comes up with the score for a game.  In fact, you often hear editors calling each other out because of this--Matt Cassamasina of IGN Wii said there is no way he would have given either MSG4 or GTAIV a 10 if he had been reviewing them, but he still respects the other reviewers opinions.  I also hear them making fun of the UK and AU reviews frequently.

They're pretty up front about answering questions about their review process as well and each team (the Playstation, Xbox,  and Nintendo teams) has their own dedicated network to do so.

Now, I'm not saying that they dont influence eachother by any means, but the only time they actually get together and have look at all the games across platforms together, is when they're voting for the end of year awards and GOTY. 

All that said, I'll give you one caveat.  Nuts and Bolts is coming in with a lot of hype and is a creative platformer similar to LBP in some ways (and looked upon by fanboys in a similar light, at least)... if IGN gives it the EXACT same score as Little Big Planet, it will give your suspiscion some clout. 

I'm just happy because I will not have to change my sig :).

I told you we needed our leader Megaman!!! Why'd you have to make such a bet.

Skeeuk said:
NNN2004 said:
Skeeuk said:
i highly doubt resistance 2 will aggregate higher than gears 2.

both games will be heavily fanboy reviewed, one will be reviewed up and one down.

to be honest with you i can picture resistance 2 aggregating at 89 or something like that

but it dont matter the game is awsome, and its my shooter for 2008

yah like me i will get it even if its get 80.

what pissed me off on gears 2 review is they highly praise multiplayer on some sites, saying its the best part, but on res2 review they talk down on its multiplayer. which is the most innovotive multiplayer ever made on consoles.

i think once all reviews are in it will keep at 90 - 91 with gears having 93 to 94, but i wouldnt be suprised if R2 came in at 89

i hate fanboy reviewers the most

I completely agree. If you look at so many awesome Sony first party titles that have ended up below AAA

Uncharted

R&C Future

They are doing the same thing with Res and Valkyira Chronicles.

If you look carefully at the IGN review for the reistance mulitplayer, it actually talks about an AI editor (similar to Left4Dead) for the co-operative games that tunes the difficulty. This is so awesome, coz it means a similar experience to another great game like apart from all the fun in the single player campaign and regular multiplayer.

I am not against Gears getting a higher score just against how Resistance 2 is getting marked down.

It is better to die on one's feet

then live on one's knees

I doubt it. Gears of War 2 looks better than Resistance 2. Also when it comes to online modes, you can compare resistance 2's 8 man co-op mode to Gears of war 2 amazing horde mode.

TO GOD BE THE GLORY

Resistance 2 just got an 8/10 for having slightly worse visuals than Gears 2 and barely as good as cod4.

mM