By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I have lost faith in the crediblity of reviewers

It's all based on Personal Preference.

4 ≈ One

Around the Network

Remember, in the end reviews are opinions. Everyone has a different opinion for what a good game is.

trestres said:
WiiBox3 said:
trestres said:
You are just not getting it. I'm not gonna cry like you did when they permabanned you, never. Every single game is getting a 90% review or a 50% one. There's no average anymore. Reviewers are elitists and graphic whores. Wii games will always get smashed or not even reviewed. Compare the amount of reviews multiplat games have on the Wii compared to the HD's.

The media hates the Wii as much as you do.

Dude what are you talking about? The IGN Nintendo team are Wii loving freeks, esp. Matt and Bozon. They are always uberhyping Wii games and telling people to buy them (ex. Zak & Wikki, Da Blob, The Conduit, Guitar Hero World Tour). It was also the Nintendo team that rated Guitar Hero World tour higher than the 360 or PS3 games. So I do not understand why you say "The media hates the Wii.."

Since when does IGN Nintendo equals the whole gaming media? Are you completely out of your mind or what? I assume the only webpages you've visited in you entire life are wii.ign.com and VGChartz.

Sigh.

Interesting that you assume that. I put one example to refute your claim that "The media hates the Wii.." You did not specify and say some of the media hates the Wii, or some percent of the gaming media hates the Wii. Because last time I checked a large portion of the non-gaming media loves the Wii. Which part of the media hates the Wii? If you go over to 1up.com and look at recent Wii review scores you see every score between A+ and D-.  Do they hate the Wii? Oh and I need to compelment you on your use of a sigh to try to make yourself sound superior than me. Very nice.

I lost my some of my faith in reviewers when a generic platformer like SMG got way too high scores. Some times they are too biased towards nintendo-games.

Kurakasa said:

I lost my some of my faith in reviewers when a generic platformer like SMG got way too high scores. Some times they are too biased towards nintendo-games.

I don't think that SMG was a generic platformer, and I thought it was a great game.  But I agree that its scores were also inflated.  Reviewers are inflating all the scores of "core" games this generation, and this one certainly qualifies as core.  Anything that is technically good (graphics) also tend to recieve inflated scores.

The nostalgia factor helps Nintendo games as well.  But you have to admit that Nintendo's core fanchises are still some of the best around.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network
theRepublic said:
Kurakasa said:

I don't think that SMG was a generic platformer, and I thought it was a great game.  But I agree that its scores were also inflated.  Reviewers are inflating all the scores of "core" games this generation, and this one certainly qualifies as core.  Anything that is technically good (graphics) also tend to recieve inflated scores.

The nostalgia factor helps Nintendo games as well.  But you have to admit that Nintendo's core fanchises are still some of the best around.

Well that is your opinion. I did not see that much difference in SMG or mario 64. :) But really, why do I have to admit that nintendo' s franchises are some of the best? I never liked any of them.

Kurakasa said:
theRepublic said:
Kurakasa said:

I don't think that SMG was a generic platformer, and I thought it was a great game. But I agree that its scores were also inflated. Reviewers are inflating all the scores of "core" games this generation, and this one certainly qualifies as core. Anything that is technically good (graphics) also tend to recieve inflated scores.

The nostalgia factor helps Nintendo games as well. But you have to admit that Nintendo's core fanchises are still some of the best around.

Well that is your opinion. I did not see that much difference in SMG or mario 64. :) But really, why do I have to admit that nintendo' s franchises are some of the best? I never liked any of them.

It's called "cognitive dissonance".  Being able to recognize the quality of an item even if you personally do not like that item is an important skill in critical thinking.  The only true measure of "quality" that exists is quantity, which of course is not a measure of "quality" at all by any usual standard.  However, quantity can tell you something about an item's functional quality, that is to say, how useful it is in given contexts.  For example, Pokemon games sell very well indeed.  I don't especially enjoy them (the first one was interesting, I'll give you that, but I lost interest afterwards).  But I recognize that the fact that they do sell so well is an indicator of their quality, specifically their marketable nature that makes them very popular.

You don't have to like something to see that it has value.  You do have to be able to see past your own bias, however, to see value in that which you personally do not value.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

youSky Render said:
Kurakasa said:
theRepublic said:
Kurakasa said:

I don't think that SMG was a generic platformer, and I thought it was a great game. But I agree that its scores were also inflated. Reviewers are inflating all the scores of "core" games this generation, and this one certainly qualifies as core. Anything that is technically good (graphics) also tend to recieve inflated scores.

The nostalgia factor helps Nintendo games as well. But you have to admit that Nintendo's core fanchises are still some of the best around.

It's called "cognitive dissonance".  Being able to recognize the quality of an item even if you personally do not like that item is an important skill in critical thinking.  The only true measure of "quality" that exists is quantity, which of course is not a measure of "quality" at all by any usual standard.  However, quantity can tell you something about an item's functional quality, that is to say, how useful it is in given contexts.  For example, Pokemon games sell very well indeed.  I don't especially enjoy them (the first one was interesting, I'll give you that, but I lost interest afterwards).  But I recognize that the fact that they do sell so well is an indicator of their quality, specifically their marketable nature that makes them very popular.

You don't have to like something to see that it has value.  You do have to be able to see past your own bias, however, to see value in that which you personally do not value.

So you are saying that GTA IV is the best game released on current consoles? Or what is your point? I have to like something to consider it as a quality product. I don't really care if a lot of people like pokemon, that does not make it good.

I would be offended by your simplistic ideas of personal opinion trumping actual facts and numbers, but quite frankly, that's the way the vast majority of people think. So it would be a bit of a wasted effort, really.

And incidentally, going by sheer numbers, GTA4 only takes the #9 spot for best-selling games of this generation, trailing behind (from best-selling to relative worst) Wii Sports, Nintendogs, Pokemon Diamond/Pearl, New Super Mario Bros, Wii Play, Brain Training, More Brain Training, and Mario Kart DS. Make all the arguments you want about Wii Sports not deserving the #1 spot (it's more than common), but it hardly matters; you buy a Wii, you get Wii Sports if you want it or not. The game's still sold to you either way.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

Sky Render said:
I would be offended by your simplistic ideas of personal opinion trumping actual facts and numbers, but quite frankly, that's the way the vast majority of people think. So it would be a bit of a wasted effort, really.

And incidentally, going by sheer numbers, GTA4 only takes the #9 spot for best-selling games of this generation, trailing behind (from best-selling to relative worst) Wii Sports, Nintendogs, Pokemon Diamond/Pearl, New Super Mario Bros, Wii Play, Brain Training, More Brain Training, and Mario Kart DS. Make all the arguments you want about Wii Sports not deserving the #1 spot (it's more than common), but it hardly matters; you buy a Wii, you get Wii Sports if you want it or not. The game's still sold to you either way.

Sigh. I should have mentioned that I was talking about home consoles. But anyway, I am not counting bundled minigames. You can do that if it makes you feel better.