By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - I Believe..The End Of The 360 - A 360 Fanboy's Point Of View

OK, here's the deal with the 360: see, we gamers are crazy. We want to love our systems. Because even the worst games on the worst-selling consoles are more fun than watching a barrel of monkeys with degrees in particle physics jerry-rig a gluon gun. We want to love the 360. But since 2005, Microsoft has been trampling all over our romance-dazzled hearts.

First, they simply kill off the Xbox - no slimline version, no entry-level system. 1 billion videogamers in China, Russia, Brazil have no choice but to buy PS2/Wiis.

Second, they messed up backwards compatibility. Take a good long look at the 360 back-comp webpage:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/backwardscompatibility.htm

Ye gods. Disc burning, software emulators, ordering a CD... not acceptable. Consoles are a HOME APPLIANCE. It should play all those old games automatically, no fuss, no muss.

Third: the long and winding saga of RRoD. They made bad manufacturing decisions, refused to deal seriously with the problem, and are now shelling out a billion dollars to cover the cost. But there are still no explanations, no attempt to reestablish our shaken trust.

Fourth: disc scratching. Dutch consumer TV program Kasse showed pretty conclusively that, yes, the drives are shoddy and scratch disks. Microsoft continues to stonewall. This one is headed for the courts, both in the US and the EU, and it won't be pretty.

Fifth: Microsoft branding. 20GB isn't enough for a high-end game system, but if we buy the console, we're stuck with that drive forever. Can't change it, can't do anything about it. For the price of an Elite, might as well buy a PS3.

Sixth: no built-in HD-DVD or BluRay support. Microsoft really should have known better; after all, the first rule of PCs is that you can never have too much storage.

It's all horribly frustrating, because as a gamer, I want the 360 to succeed and provide genuine competition for Sony and Nintendo. That's the only way gaming has ever gotten better. But right now, the only future I see for this relationship is a hearing in divorce court.

Around the Network
TheBigFatJ said:

The Xbox wasn't available for sale 6 years after launch. The PS2 is available for sale right now, and still selling well outside of Japan. So while I don't think core gamers will really consider the PS3 a 10 year product, Sony will likely be selling them with respectable numbers up to and through their 10th year after launch. It's *extremely* unlikely that MS will do so with the 360. More likely, they'll release a new Xbox in 2011 or 2012 and cease production of the 360.

Yes, because we all know that history always repeats itself. Always.

Saying that something is "likely" without any facts (or even reasons) to back it up won't get you very far in this forum.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957