By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - IGN's Guitar Hero World Tour Review... 7.9 (for silly reasons)?

SHMUPGurus said:

All I want to say is this: Activision took a big step from Guitar Hero III to Aerosmith to this. The charts were pretty random in Guitar Hero III, and I really felt like they made a big improvement with the songs in Aerosmith. If a developer evolves from their errors, then it's all the best I could ask for!

Sure, the game is not perfect, but if it at least plays the same as Rock Band, why can't it have at least around the same score? I mean, the fundamentals are there, and if he just wants to complain about extras, then I seriously want people to look back at Metroid Prime 2: Echoes reviews (the multiplayer hurt the score a lot). That's what I find ridiculous.

The difference I see is this: Neversoft is a game developer. Harmonix is a MUSIC game developer.

The Harmonix team has a definite feel for what makes a music game great, and then more specifically, what kind of songs fit that mold well. Neversoft inherited a powerhouse franchise, and hasn't really done much to make it their own. They put out an unremarkable sequel in GH3, and then Aerosmith, which may be better, but I really have no interest in owning or playing a primarily Aerosmith-oriented game. Now, they're basically "borrowing" the gameplay (to put it kindly) from Harmonix again, but haven't addressed the issues I would have focused on, which would first and foremost be making the songs feel like they play correctly. As I said, I've only played on song that overlapped between the games, but the GH:WT version didn't seem nearly as in sync with the tune of the song as I played it. That isn't really an "extra", that's a core mechanic of the gameplay, and it very well may not match up to the standards of the Rock Band games. The way it feels to me, when I'm playing the Rock Band games, I feel like I'm playing the songs. When I've played Neversoft's Guitar Hero 3, I just felt like I was playing a game. I'm not sure if GH:WT has done a whole lot to change that feeling I get, but I'll know for sure when I pick it up in the next day or two.

The Metroid comparison doesn't really hold much water. If there was a different game called Betroid Mime that played similarly, came out a year before MP2, and improved and expanded on everything from the original MP, then yes, there would be a comparison. If MP2 didn't match up to the additions of that imaginary game, then a harsh scoring would be completely justified. But, as it turns out, MP2 really only had MP1 as a point of comparison, as opposed to GH:WT and Rock Band, where one is basically mimicking the other step for step. Neversoft saw the huge problems people had with the first Rock Band, and could have avoided many of them, like the flubby band management, and didn't do so. That's either a result of trying to do too much, or just not noticing an obvious problem. Either way, it can hurt the end product.

The dedication you show to any particular console or company is inversely proportional to the number of times you have gotten laid. If you get laid enough, even if you prefer a certain brand, you just don't give enough of a shit to argue about it on the internet.

Around the Network

I agree with SHMUPGurus.
There's a reason it's called "extra" content.

And speaking of that, the Mii Freestyle mode is loadsa fun!

Frodaddyg said:
SHMUPGurus said:

All I want to say is this: Activision took a big step from Guitar Hero III to Aerosmith to this. The charts were pretty random in Guitar Hero III, and I really felt like they made a big improvement with the songs in Aerosmith. If a developer evolves from their errors, then it's all the best I could ask for!

Sure, the game is not perfect, but if it at least plays the same as Rock Band, why can't it have at least around the same score? I mean, the fundamentals are there, and if he just wants to complain about extras, then I seriously want people to look back at Metroid Prime 2: Echoes reviews (the multiplayer hurt the score a lot). That's what I find ridiculous.

The difference I see is this: Neversoft is a game developer. Harmonix is a MUSIC game developer.

The Harmonix team has a definite feel for what makes a music game great, and then more specifically, what kind of songs fit that mold well. Neversoft inherited a powerhouse franchise, and hasn't really done much to make it their own. They put out an unremarkable sequel in GH3, and then Aerosmith, which may be better, but I really have no interest in owning or playing a primarily Aerosmith-oriented game. Now, they're basically "borrowing" the gameplay (to put it kindly) from Harmonix again, but haven't addressed the issues I would have focused on, which would first and foremost be making the songs feel like they play correctly. As I said, I've only played on song that overlapped between the games, but the GH:WT version didn't seem nearly as in sync with the tune of the song as I played it. That isn't really an "extra", that's a core mechanic of the gameplay, and it very well may not match up to the standards of the Rock Band games. The way it feels to me, when I'm playing the Rock Band games, I feel like I'm playing the songs. When I've played Neversoft's Guitar Hero 3, I just felt like I was playing a game. I'm not sure if GH:WT has done a whole lot to change that feeling I get, but I'll know for sure when I pick it up in the next day or two.

The Metroid comparison doesn't really hold much water. If there was a different game called Betroid Mime that played similarly, came out a year before MP2, and improved and expanded on everything from the original MP, then yes, there would be a comparison. If MP2 didn't match up to the additions of that imaginary game, then a harsh scoring would be completely justified. But, as it turns out, MP2 really only had MP1 as a point of comparison, as opposed to GH:WT and Rock Band, where one is basically mimicking the other step for step. Neversoft saw the huge problems people had with the first Rock Band, and could have avoided many of them, like the flubby band management, and didn't do so. That's either a result of trying to do too much, or just not noticing an obvious problem. Either way, it can hurt the end product.

To each their own I guess. I prefer to be challenged in these kind of games, and that's especially why I dig the Guitar Hero series more than Rock Band. I could come up with an argument saying that video games should do what are they are supposed to do, meaning ''playing'' them, but it comes down to preferences in these kind of games. I always took the unusual chart as a challenge, because even in the earlier GH's, some notes were barely needed (or you used to play a few notes from the drum part). A step down or whatever, that's what makes it exciting for me. If it's only one or three songs in the whole package that don't make sense, I won't be disatisfied (and who should, unless it's their favorite song from their favorite band).

Really, all it comes down to is the playlist IMO, and that 1Up guy shares the same opinion as me. I could come up with another argument saying that I want to play mainstream music that I know and not MTV songs that I barely care about, but once again it's all preferences and stuff.

Random game thought :
Why is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 getting so much hate? We finally get a real game and they're not even satisfied... I'm starting to hate the gaming community so f****** much...

Watch my insane gameplay videos on my YouTube page!

Haha well I don't agree with them but that's ok. At least we know Matt and Mark at IGN Ninty have to rate it well after they used it to say how bad Wii Music is haha.

they must be rock band 2 fanboys lol

Around the Network

This helps me decide after all, it seems rockband 2 for ps is the way, since I already have rockband 1

I think it deserves whatever bad score it gets. It's blatantly ripping off of Rock Band and it shows Neversoft's own lack of creativity

well if the sound quality sucks, the game then sucks. since its a game that has 99% to do with sound.

Frodaddyg said:

For the drums, I feel the opposite. The fills in GH:WT are far more satisfying because I feel like I'm doing real drum fills, not an approximation. The ergonomics on the GH:WT drum kit are so much better as well.

I think there are positives and negatives for each game. There are some things that really bug me in RB2 and likewise in GH:WT. For example, the practice mode in RB2 doesn't play the real music. But the practice mode in GH:WT doesn't give you as many slow down options. To be quite honest, both games kind of fail in the practice department since you can't specify specific measures to work on. It's quite frustrating to have a problem with two measures and you have to play an entire section just to practice a 2 second fill.

Justin Haywald from 1up gave it an A-.

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3170921&p=4&sec=REVIEWS