By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - IGN's Guitar Hero World Tour Review... 7.9 (for silly reasons)?

Frodaddyg said:
Yeah, why would all the user created content sounding like a MIDI recording be bad? Oh, wait... that actually is a big deal for one of the "improvements" they made over Rock Band. I'm still picking this up with a guitar, but I've been hesitant to start touting this as "better than Rock Band" since they announced it.

Harmonix are far and away the innovators in the music game industry, and it's proven here if Neversoft can't take an extra year and make a game that's even up to the standards of the first Rock Band. I guess we'll see what the trend will be once more reviews start to hit.

Harmonix isn't even close to the top innovator in the music game genre. All they have done is take various Konami games and either remake them, or compile them all into one game. This is not innovative, but rather just following the logical evolutionary path for the genre. Konami deserves far far far more credit than anyone will ever give them credit for as they were the ones to start all of this and are probably the only reason Guitar Hero or Rock Band even exist.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Around the Network

I wasn't expecting this anyway I'll get rockband 2 :)

I couldn't find the review.
Can you post a link? I want to read the whole review.

To anyone who knows, is the music creator robust enough to make songs like canon rock?
Also, does anyone here know which set of instruments is better RB2 or GH:WT?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags? 

I got it for the Wii and this guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

Is this game out yet. I thought it came out on the 27.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

Around the Network
SHMUPGurus said:
Frodaddyg said:
Yeah, why would all the user created content sounding like a MIDI recording be bad? Oh, wait... that actually is a big deal for one of the "improvements" they made over Rock Band. I'm still picking this up with a guitar, but I've been hesitant to start touting this as "better than Rock Band" since they announced it.

Harmonix are far and away the innovators in the music game industry, and it's proven here if Neversoft can't take an extra year and make a game that's even up to the standards of the first Rock Band. I guess we'll see what the trend will be once more reviews start to hit.

Dude, apparently singing works, guitar and bass work as good as they always did and the drums are even better. How is that not up to Rock Band standards or even a bit better? Extras are extras, take them for what they are.

Well, the guitar charts, according to this guy, aren't that intuitive. From the few songs I've played on the local Gamestop demo kit, I'd be inclined to agree. They had Everlong on there, which I've played a bunch on RB2, and the chart on GH:WT seemed way less "knit" to the flow of the song when compared to RB2's version. I only played 4 or 5 songs, and Everlong was the only overlapping track, but it definitely did not feel as in tune with the flow of the song as it did on Rock Band 2.

The rest of the issues he took, like the bad interface for band management, are throwbacks to the giant complaints people, including myself, had about the original Rock Band. If they can't use an extra year to come up with a non-crappy way to implement that, well, I frankly don't know what to say. Also, if one person fails out, everyone automatically fails? Great, that won't make playing with new friends incredibly annoying and frustrating to everyone who's trying to learn to play the game. And if the instruments are showing to have faulty touchpads to the point it hurts the gameplay experience, well, then that's another throwback to the issues Rock Band guitars (mine included, until I sent it in to be replaced) had with their strum bars a year ago.

I'm sure GH will be enjoyable, because I love music games. But to say these criticisms he had were unfounded and he's being too harsh is just ridiculous. If the flaws that he points out exist, and the music creator's sound quality really is shoddy, then a score of around 8 is well deserved.

The dedication you show to any particular console or company is inversely proportional to the number of times you have gotten laid. If you get laid enough, even if you prefer a certain brand, you just don't give enough of a shit to argue about it on the internet.

Frodaddyg said:
SHMUPGurus said:
Frodaddyg said:

Dude, apparently singing works, guitar and bass work as good as they always did and the drums are even better. How is that not up to Rock Band standards or even a bit better? Extras are extras, take them for what they are.

Well, the guitar charts, according to this guy, aren't that intuitive. From the few songs I've played on the local Gamestop demo kit, I'd be inclined to agree. They had Everlong on there, which I've played a bunch on RB2, and the chart on GH:WT seemed way less "knit" to the flow of the song when compared to RB2's version. I only played 4 or 5 songs, and Everlong was the only overlapping track, but it definitely did not feel as in tune with the flow of the song as it did on Rock Band 2.

The rest of the issues he took, like the bad interface for band management, are throwbacks to the giant complaints people, including myself, had about the original Rock Band. If they can't use an extra year to come up with a non-crappy way to implement that, well, I frankly don't know what to say. Also, if one person fails out, everyone automatically fails? Great, that won't make playing with new friends incredibly annoying and frustrating to everyone who's trying to learn to play the game. And if the instruments are showing to have faulty touchpads to the point it hurts the gameplay experience, well, then that's another throwback to the issues Rock Band guitars (mine included, until I sent it in to be replaced) had with their strum bars a year ago.

I'm sure GH will be enjoyable, because I love music games. But to say these criticisms he had were unfounded and he's being too harsh is just ridiculous. If the flaws that he points out exist, and the music creator's sound quality really is shoddy, then a score of around 8 is well deserved.

All I want to say is this: Activision took a big step from Guitar Hero III to Aerosmith to this. The charts were pretty random in Guitar Hero III, and I really felt like they made a big improvement with the songs in Aerosmith. If a developer evolves from their errors, then it's all the best I could ask for!

Sure, the game is not perfect, but if it at least plays the same as Rock Band, why can't it have at least around the same score? I mean, the fundamentals are there, and if he just wants to complain about extras, then I seriously want people to look back at Metroid Prime 2: Echoes reviews (the multiplayer hurt the score a lot). That's what I find ridiculous.

Random game thought :
Why is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 getting so much hate? We finally get a real game and they're not even satisfied... I'm starting to hate the gaming community so f****** much...

Watch my insane gameplay videos on my YouTube page!

wow, thats dissapointing. I read the whole review on ign, and it sounds like they might have been a little too ambitious. Ambition that was wrongly harnessed which lead to the highly awaited extras being flawed. Its a shame, cus I was really looking forward to a song creator :(

Funny the 1UP guys were raving on how great it was. His points were stupid I'll wait for another review but regardless Im still buying this game eventually.

The reviewer spent most of the review bitching about menu issues and how the "extra" music creator wasn't as good as a $200 version of cakewalk or acid, while at the same time praising the drums and knock a plastic toy guitar for not being realistic enough. WTF? He also spent a whole paragraph knocking the touch frets on the new guitar. Did this guy even play the RB guitar at all that my friends is a true POS?

I usually trust IGN's reviews of games but this is harsh and that guy needs to be fired.