By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What if 2 of the big three console companies mergered?

Well what if they did?

What companies would you like to see merger? What do you think would benefit gaming from there merger?

For me this is a hard choice. This gen if you look through my posts you will clearly see I' am backin sony this gen, (flamebait yes i know. but you will also see that it's because I beleive in the qaulity of the system, and not the company itself) so i would like see sony combined with something. The question is who? I don't want nintendo cause i don't care to much for the way it's taking the industry right now (catering to mostly casuals), and i don't want microsoft because i don't want more of the same games and i think desicions made by them might mar the platform itself....ie red ring.

I'm siting here really thinking hard about what 2 companies, so far its taking me 10 minutes to decide....

Gah....alright....I'm going to have to say Microsoft and Sony. If they can keep best of both worlds and get rid of all of the negatives then it would be a wonderful day of gaming.  You have got to love the HD consoles and 1080p is beautiful. The 2 game libraries cater to me more then nintendo's so I don't have to worry about the games scratching on my 360 or my 360 red ringing, and don't need to worry about some exclusivity issues ( when i had a 360 i bought all multiplats on ps3. The 360 scratched ALL of my discs) Combine a nice graphics card with a nice cell processor? SWEEET . Basicly the console would be the console of consoles....omgwtfbbq. Whatever games the company didn't have, microsoft has the knack of buying exclusives. So it can buy back Monster Hunter Tri lol.

Overview: Sony + Microsoft

Might be a chance to get rid of malfunctioning. (they both have a record with ps2 and 360 however i think both companies have learned, and the qaulity of ps3 is amazing)

Wouldn't have to worry about exclusives in HD market. Everyone's happy.

A cell processor and xenon graphics = I just wet my pants in excitment.

If there was any exclusive issue's microsoft would just buy it up :P

Anyway....please please please don't make this into a war. Don't claim this company is better just say what ones would make an awesome system together.

CURRENTLY PLAYING:  Warframe, Witcher 2

Around the Network

Sony + Microsoft would make most sense, but I'd really be interested in a Microsoft + Nintendo console, because they seem to be on the opposite sides.

3rd party devs would be happy if Sony and Microsoft made the same console, then games would be much cheaper to develop for.

Microsoft and nintendo would be interesting, yes, but wither it would be a good console or not is a toss up. So the question is interesting but would it be good?

I would hate to see any of them merge, competition is great for gamers.

BUT, The one that'd make most sense (realistically) would be Nintendo + someone else.

Sony and Microsoft are huge companies with many many many divisions outside of gaming. If they ever came to situation where a merger would be likely, they'd probably close the divisions down instead.

Nintendo on the other hand are a purely gaming company, which means that if their gaming goes belly up one day, they have nothing to fall back on, meaning they'd either go into the dust (hi atari) or be absorbed by someone else.

Around the Network
CAL4M1TY said:

BUT, The one that'd make most sense (realistically) would be Nintendo + someone else.

Sony and Microsoft are huge companies with many many many divisions outside of gaming. If they ever came to situation where a merger would be likely, they'd probably close the divisions down instead.

Nintendo on the other hand are a purely gaming company, which means that if their gaming goes belly up one day, they have nothing to fall back on, meaning they'd either go into the dust (hi atari) or be absorbed by someone else.

I don't think the market would close down at all. Gaming use to be one of Sony's biggest incomes, while losing right now i have faith it can make a comeback, and personally i think Mr. Gates loves the fact that he's making consoles simply cause games are awesome to say the least.  I have a huge problem with nintendo this year (once again I' am not egging anyone on and I' am not trying to start a war. I like nintendo, just not at this point in time if that makes since. the last time they had something i liked was 64) Everyone was upset with this years nintendo e3 I felt the hurt on that one. I have a wii simply for MH Tri and i watched hoping for something else to give me an excuse to open my box.  This is the reason i wouldn't want nintendo to make a merge, gaming selection and the fear of a mainly casual game selection. There will always be a market for nintendo I beleive. Young and old alike. i don't think there is a single person that's not in a third-world country that doesn't who mario is. So they're safe. They certainly arn't going through rouph times right now, and even with a big company merger like that i don't think there would be a problem. I think the market share for gaming would be about 1/3 nintendo and 2/3 Sonysoft (hehe i like that).

Edited: Spelling mistakes and realized i left a sentence out

soulsamurai said:
CAL4M1TY said:

I don't think the market would close down at all. Gaming use to be one of Sony's biggest incomes, while losing right now i have faith it can make a comeback, and personally i think Mr. Gates loves the fact that he's making consoles simply cause games are awesome to say the least.  I have a huge problem with nintendo this year (once again I' am not egging anyone on and I' am not trying to start a war. I like nintendo, just not at this point in time if that makes since. the last time they had something i liked was 64) Everyone was upset with this years nintendo e3 I felt the hurt on that one. I have a wii simply for MH Tri and i watched hoping for something else to give me an excuse to open my box.  This is the reason i wouldn't want nintendo to make a merge, gaming selection and the fear of a mainly casual game selection. There will always be a market for nintendo I beleive. Young and old alike. i don't think there is a single person that's not in a third-world country that doesn't who mario is. So they're safe. They certainly arn't going through rouph times right now, and even with a big company merger like that i don't think there would be a problem. I think the market share for gaming would be about 1/3 nintendo and 2/3 Sonysoft (hehe i like that).

Edited: Spelling mistakes and realized i left a sentence out

Despite the current marketshare being 53% 'Sonysoft' and 47% Nintendo, with millions of people owning both a 360 and a PS3.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

High price hardware ,accesories , online services ,games etc , less price cuts due to less competition. Less invention , less innovation , more sequels. Poorer quality hardware , software etc .

Hmm.. the possbilities..

NINTENDO+SEGA= NINTEGA/ SEGTENDO
pros:
finally a decent sonic game
nintendo making games that dont focus on their core characters/same shit different pile theory

cons:

old sega employees may kill themselves
ula la might get a new game
sonic's friends might join mario games(yuck)

M$+ SONY= microny/sonicrosoft
pros:
increased blu ray support
cheaper for devs
Wii might get its ass whooped at last

cons:
ps3's might start to RROD
old sony employees may kill themselves

MS+NINTENDO=microendo/nintendosoft

pros:
360 gets waggle.. yaay
wii gets HD graphics..yaay

cons:
old nintendo employees may kill themselves

Hmm.. the possbilities..

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

owner of : atari 2600, commodore 64, NES,gameboy,atari lynx, genesis, saturn,neogeo,DC,PS2,GC,X360, Wii

5 THINGS I'd like to see before i knock out:

a. a AAA 3D sonic title

b. a nintendo developed game that has a "M rating"

c. redesgined PS controller

d. SEGA back in the console business

e. M$ out of the OS business

Yes i know it would be borderline monopoly, I understand that, lets just say this.....what qaulities of the companies would go best to from one. I' am trying to get this off of business itself perse but rather what would be your ultimate gaming combo. I personally hate the fact i had to buy 2 systems to get some games and how some have pros and cons. All companies together would be a fricking creative and awesome platform. All the games from the systems, some innovative nintendo ideas, and awesome graphics. I wanted to put a twist on it, if you could online combine two companies it limits your choices while still enticing you to be like XD