By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Call of duty copies L4D, but to what extent?

http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2008/10/25/call-of-duty-world-at-war-includes-nazi-zombie-mode/

Well I figure the biggest fans of L4D are in the PC forum (you are welcome for the acknowledgement) so I figure I should share this here.

How badly do ya'll think it copies L4D? Or is it just a similarity?

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Around the Network

Unless I'm missing something, I hate you. That's simply because you compare it to L4D (and so does the source) like it was the only game involving zombies. Sure, it's probably one of the biggest and the others have been 'only' mods but I think it's still wrong to compare it to the most hyped game only.

Anyway, I think it's just a good thing to have a less serious mode as well. Well, unless it gets more popular than the modes that are supposed to be the 'main' modes, that is.

Zkuq said:
Unless I'm missing something, I hate you. That's simply because you compare it to L4D (and so does the source) like it was the only game involving zombies. Sure, it's probably one of the biggest and the others have been 'only' mods but I think it's still wrong to compare it to the most hyped game only.

Anyway, I think it's just a good thing to have a less serious mode as well. Well, unless it gets more popular than the modes that are supposed to be the 'main' modes, that is.

Cut the personal attacks, that's a warning.

I'm not intimidated by it or anything...it's really a simple game mode within COD5, it doesn't have near the complexity or replayability of L4D.  Endless wave after wave of zombies?  Eh...doesn't have the brains behind the game like L4D...I wouldn't be buying L4D if it was simply waves of zombies spawning and coming at you.  Being co-op obviously makes it fun, that's what COD5 is about...that's what L4D is exclusively about.

Doesn't matter though.  The Left 4 Dead demo comes out in a week or two, and then everyone can see what I've been ranting about for a year and a half...they're totally different games, and L4D will stand on its own without a problem.  Also, the two games probably started development around the same time, so the co-op element of COD certainly wasn't a rip-off...more of a Gears of War rip-off if anything.

Also, zombie Nazis?  Man, I know people can joke about Nazis, but I thought COD was more on the serious side...making zombies out of them seems to characterize too much and almost make a joke out of WWII.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

So they are all copying Perfect Dark Zero's zombie mode. Oh knowz the worldz endz

BenKenobi88 said:
Zkuq said:

Cut the personal attacks, that's a warning.

Sorry, didn't mean it to sound that offensive. Hate was probably the wrong word but it does indeed express my feeling about the whole case. Still, the word was too strong.

Not interested in either, to not go completely offtopic. L4D just doesn't seem too interesting, just another FPS with humans vs. zombies in a commercial game. Nothing new. Besides, Valve's games are always too simple to fit my taste. I don't like CoD5 either, though, since the series has been pretty much the same from the beginning. CoD5 seems to be trying to bring a new front to an over-used war but judging by pictures and videos, the feeling doesn't seem that different (well, not bad but not too good either). Oh, and while Treyarch seems to be trying to get a few innovations in the game as well, I'm not convinced of them as a dev. This zombie mode is just another example of them trying, though - they're ideas are good, I'm just unsure about the result.

Around the Network

I think it is just a little add on, the team were probably just mucking about and they found it quite fun. They also just want to distinguish it from 4, as it is already using the same engine, and the same menus, hud seems the same as well...

However, the game is actually looking quite good, and I think it is going to well both critically and commercially

I think you all are mistaken, all these games are OBVIOUSLY copying DOOM.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835