By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Should I get a BC PS3 for $500?

Hawkeye said:

Ok, I have found some new $500 BC PS3s, but now I am unsure if I should buy it or not. I have some time to decide as I don't get my money for a couple of weeks. I got a 360 pretty recently, and there are about 15 PSP, 3 Wii, and 10 Xbox 360 games that I still want to buy and play... BUT I won't be able to get a BC PS3 later and PS2 looks like crap if not upscaled for my HDTV. Should I take the plunge?

Stuff I currently own but havn't played/finished (and have an interest in finishing)

-Castle Crashers

-Banjo Kazooie XBL (pre-ordered)

-Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts

-Tales of Vesperia

-Elder Scrolls: Oblvion

- Zelda: Twilight Princess (don't anticpated beating, but its a good game)

- Final Fantasty Tactics: The War of the Lions

- Jeanne D'arc

- Ape Escape: On the Loose

What I would buy for PS3 if I got it and had money left over to buy anyhting other than LBP and Dark Knight BD:

- Little Big Planet

- Valkryia Chronicles

- Disgaea 3

- Uncharted: Darkes Fortune

- Heavenly Sword

- Rachet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction

-Simpsons BD

- Dark Knight BD

- Futurama Seaon 1 BD if there is such a thing

-about 35 PS2 games, inlcuding Rachet and Clank, Jak aqnd Daxter, Disgaea, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, MGS just becuse the $500 PS3 comes with MGS4 so might as well play the series, lots of other random games.

So is it worth buying? I was thinking of waiting and just not getting PS2 games, but since the Yen has fallen 10% in the last 2 days, I don't anticipated a price cut for PS3 until fall 2009.

lol i would just buy a ps3 80gig bundle with dual shock 3 and a pack in game.

if you want ps2 games just get a ps2 they are really cheap now.

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Around the Network
Hawkeye said:
Jordahn said:
Hawkeye said:
Jordahn said

Hard call. Either way, you'll get to play the PS2 games. The more I think about it, you are probably better off getting the PS3 BC MGS4 bundle. I say this because with a PS2, you still have to buy at least one memory card, PS2 component cables, maybe another controller, and maybe the option vertical stand. PS3 BC MGS4 bundle = $500 and then you need to buy an HDMI cable. PS3 80gb non-bc + PS2 = $500 and then you'll need to buy an HDMI cable (PS3), component cable (PS2), memory card, and maybe another PS2 controller when your PS3 controller can be used for both PS3 and PS2 games. Now I see why SONY dropped BC from the PS3.

Go get the PS3 BC MGS4 bundle now.

Other problem is I don't get my money for several weeks :S

Also, whats HDMI? IS that a cable for sound?

HDMI stands for High Definition Multimedia Interface. It's a step above component cables, accomodates both audio and video, and it gives you the highest bandwidth for 1080p 60 fps and HD sound. The ends of the cable look like a USB cable on steroids. HDMI cable could run you anywhere from $10 to $200.

EDIT: And about the money, it will be more expensive in the long run to buy a non-BC PS3 and then a PS2, but it's easier in the long run as well.  Pay more now to say more money or pay less now to end up paying for more later.  Whatever's best for you.

I will be playing games in 720P since 1080i sucks. Do I need to get HDMI cables? I use regular component cables for my 360. Should I get HDMI for my 360?

I thought the 360 came with HDMI.

1080i is a lot better than 720p

If you didn't get them, get HDMI for your PS3 and X360. The games look a lot better, believe me.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Kantor said:
Hawkeye said:
Jordahn said:
Hawkeye said:
Jordahn said

Hard call. Either way, you'll get to play the PS2 games. The more I think about it, you are probably better off getting the PS3 BC MGS4 bundle. I say this because with a PS2, you still have to buy at least one memory card, PS2 component cables, maybe another controller, and maybe the option vertical stand. PS3 BC MGS4 bundle = $500 and then you need to buy an HDMI cable. PS3 80gb non-bc + PS2 = $500 and then you'll need to buy an HDMI cable (PS3), component cable (PS2), memory card, and maybe another PS2 controller when your PS3 controller can be used for both PS3 and PS2 games. Now I see why SONY dropped BC from the PS3.

Go get the PS3 BC MGS4 bundle now.

Other problem is I don't get my money for several weeks :S

Also, whats HDMI? IS that a cable for sound?

HDMI stands for High Definition Multimedia Interface. It's a step above component cables, accomodates both audio and video, and it gives you the highest bandwidth for 1080p 60 fps and HD sound. The ends of the cable look like a USB cable on steroids. HDMI cable could run you anywhere from $10 to $200.

EDIT: And about the money, it will be more expensive in the long run to buy a non-BC PS3 and then a PS2, but it's easier in the long run as well.  Pay more now to say more money or pay less now to end up paying for more later.  Whatever's best for you.

I will be playing games in 720P since 1080i sucks. Do I need to get HDMI cables? I use regular component cables for my 360. Should I get HDMI for my 360?

I thought the 360 came with HDMI.

1080i is a lot better than 720p

If you didn't get them, get HDMI for your PS3 and X360. The games look a lot better, believe me.

I got the 360 Pro. Does the cable it comes with have HDMI? Also, with 1080i vs 720P, its seems that 1090i is more colorful and has more detail, but also has more jaggies, sometimes has an after image, and rarely gets a weird effect where the world looks like its in a shutterblind or is thereded together and the threads have come loose.