By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan First Day Sales (10/23)

Great boxart!! I liked it too much!

MY ZELDA COLLECTION
Around the Network
ClaudeLv250 said:

You have no reasoning and you haven't backed anything with sales numbers. You've tossed around a couple of percentages and then started connecting dots that weren't there. I simply called you out on your BS. I mean this is a damn sales site, when you make sweeping generalizations based off of first day sales you're basically telling everyone that you're eager to fail.

And yet, you never did the math yourself to see my percentages were based on actuals. That tells me your arguing against something you never added up yourself.

Example:

My DS/Wii sales comparison is based on 46 million software units sold through as of Oct. 18th for the NDS this year. Compared to 70 million sold last year. Between the similar week last year, and the last week of 2007, the Japanese market, per VGC sold another 20 million units by the end of 2007. Which would put this years cume (if sales were similar), at 66 million software units on the year, or down a scant 5.8%. So your software = down claims are wrong based on actual figures.

Also, one should note that the Wii is already at 86.5% of 2007's software cume (if your fussy and want the numbers, thats 10.6 million units this year vs. 11.9 million for all of 07). So the software is moving more rapidly than last year. Yet the best-selling 3rd party game of 2008 is Tales of Symphonia 2, which is still under 250,000 units. Nintendo is certainly moving more software this year on the Wii....Why not 3rd parties?

And I fail to see how it's a 'broad generalization' when you take 100k+ sellers to draw a comparison between the NDS and the Wii. It's not like I took PS2 games from 2001-2 for comparison. I could of, easily, but we both know how that one ends up.

You want sales numbers? Tenchu Z on 360 sold 6k first week. First week. We've seen several 360 games pass 100k in Japan so its clearly not a software problem, and yet it only did 20k lifetime. From Software did not make a dime of profit from this game.

On the contrary, Tenchu 4 did 10k first day. It's basically poised to overtake the last Tenchu game's lifetime sales after being on shelves for only a few days. Clearly the Xbox 360 has a problem selling 3rd party software that's not an RPG.

........So you think that a <20k opening week on a system that has a user base 10 times the size of the X360 draws for a good comparison?

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

My DS/Wii sales comparison is based on 46 million software units sold through as of Oct. 18th for the NDS this year. Compared to 70 million sold last year. Between the similar week last year, and the last week of 2007, the Japanese market, per VGC sold another 20 million units by the end of 2007. Which would put this years cume (if sales were similar), at 66 million software units on the year, or down a scant 5.8%. So your software = down claims are wrong based on actual figures.

You must have me confused with Zucas because I didn't say that the software was down.

Also, one should note that the Wii is already at 86.5% of 2007's software cume (if your fussy and want the numbers, thats 10.6 million units this year vs. 11.9 million for all of 07). So the software is moving more rapidly than last year. Yet the best-selling 3rd party game of 2008 is Tales of Symphonia 2, which is still under 250,000 units. Nintendo is certainly moving more software this year on the Wii....Why not 3rd parties?

You said it yourself. A Tales spinoff is the best seller because it's one of the more notable, worthwhile 3rd party games released on the Wii. I don't see the problem when Symphonia gaiden sells accordingly. What, you expected Tenchu to outsell it? Perhaps Soul Eater? Oh, maybe We Ski?

I didn't think so.

[quote]........So you think that a

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Soriku said:
I'm not going to get in your argument guys, but just to note, saying "lol [X game] should've sold more than [Y game] because [X system] has [this many more] units sold than [Y system]" is bull and reeks of desperation. There's always an exception. For each and every system. The Wii isn't magical and won't have exceptions becasue it will.

Issue is that there isn't a wide pattern of successfull 3rd parties on the Wii, and you kinda need that before calling stuff exceptions....

Where are the equivallent of 3rd parties success on the PS2 ?

The only one I can think of so far are "Carnival Games" and "Sonic and Mario at the Olympic Games".

GH3 did decent on Wii too....

There were 2 Sony titles in the top 25 most selling games on the PS2 ( GT3 and GT4..)

Right now if noone told you, you woudn't know the Wii has broader acceptance than the Game Cube just looking at their best selling games because the top 10 selling games on the GC are pretty much the same than those on the Wii in terms of publishers/developers.

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

@Ail: Maybe because most of the 3rd party games released so far lack the quality and effort of those released on the HD's and people aren't stupid. You know, just maybe.

And people buying Carnival games are not the majority as you would imply. There's core and casual games that sold extremely well. You are just cherrypicking because you hate Nintendo.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Around the Network
trestres said:

@Ail: Maybe because most of the 3rd party games released so far lack the quality and effort of those released on the HD's and people aren't stupid. You know, just maybe.

And people buying Carnival games are not the majority as you would imply. There's core and casual games that sold extremely well. You are just cherrypicking because you hate Nintendo.

I listed the top 3 best selling 3rd parties games on the Wii, how is that cherry-picking ?

Besides I was just trying to debunk Soriku post explaining us that Tenchu 4 sales were the exception , which clearly they are not...

And why only the top 3? That's cherrypicking.

Bets with Conegamer:

Fullfilled Prophecies

trestres said:

You're the one offended by Carnival Games lol.

I made no comment at all about the game, besides any list with top selling Wii 3rd party titles will have the game ( or you checrry pick and forget it :P )

No I'm not offended by Carnival Games, but basing yourself in only 3 of the countless 3rd party games released makes you look ignorant and doesn't prove anything. Your whole idea of "Wii only sells crappy or casual games" is so 2007.

You need to catch up with the hating excuses, you are getting behind. Time to step in the acceptance stage.

Bets with Conegamer:

Fullfilled Prophecies

trestres said:

I'd also say that cherry picking is saying that Carnival Games' buyers aren't in the majority when CG has sold more copies than every other 3rd party game outside of Guitar Hero 3 and Sonic & Mario at the Olympic games.

Lets look at the list, shall we? Can you tell me how many 3rd party games aren't casual?

Wii Sports Nintendo 3.26 15.06 11.88 30.20
Wii Play Nintendo 2.55 7.57 5.50 15.62
Wii Fit Nintendo 2.71 2.76 3.55 9.02
Mario Kart Wii Nintendo 1.77 3.50 3.53 8.80
Super Smash Bros Brawl Nintendo 1.80 4.16 1.19 7.15
Super Mario Galaxy Nintendo 0.99 3.75 2.41 7.15
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Sega 0.57 1.91 3.19 5.67
Mario Party 8 Nintendo 1.33 2.60 1.60 5.53
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess Nintendo 0.59 2.56 1.68 4.83
Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock RedOctane 0.00 2.56 0.79 3.35
Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree Nintendo 0.40 0.77 1.56 2.73
Super Paper Mario Nintendo 0.58 1.17 0.72 2.47