By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Wii third party game explosion has begun!

windbane said:

your mother:  I was being sarcastic with the word "cute."

Your stat of games that the Wii will not get (because they are only on 360 and PS3) is not accurate.  That's all.  I realize you were working with incomplete data. 

Then provide your own data to back up your point rather than saying someone else's data is incomplete

Around the Network

Sorry, Sinha, I meant in production. These are the figures I was looking at:

360: 16 established franchises in production
PS3: 12 established franchises in production
Wii: 18 established franchises in production

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Dont forget, that the Destroy All Humans for the Wii/PS2 is also playable on the PS3. ;)
(though backwards compatability mode, the PS3 can still play the 'low graphics' and the 'high graphics' verson)

EDIT: I also want to point out, one of those is a nintendo title. ;) 

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Totalwar, that's not what he's saying.

He's saying that one has to consider that multiplatform games tend not to go to the Wii. Even though it's not exclusive, the 360 is better off for having GTA4.

I tend to agree with him, with some reservations. In general, I think those multiplatform games are going to hurt Sony more than Nintendo because the PS3 has so little else going for it. However, many of those PC/360/PS3 games really ought to almost count as 360 exclusives.

But yes, in terms of game libraries, lists of exclusives will serve to make the PS3's look worse than it really is relative to the Wii's or 360's. I don't think anyone's contesting that.

What started out nice has turned vile.  This thread has gotten out of control.

Can't one console ever do well, or have something good happen with out the console war coming in?  Don't get me wrong I am all for jumping in, and kicking a company while they are down.  But atleast I accentuate the positive, even though I don't eliminate the negative.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

Around the Network
Bodhesatva said:
windbane said:
your mother said:
windbane said:
your mother said:
windbane said:
your mother said:
Bodhesatva said:

Here is this month's list of newly announced exclusives:

http://www.gamingtarget.com/article.php?artid=725

PS3: 3 new exclusive titles announced
360: 5 new exclusive titles announced
Wii: 37 new exclusive titles announced

That's an enormous swing: given that the PS3 and Wii had nearly identical totals of exclusives when they were launched, the Wii now has 2.5 times as many.

2.5x as many - as launch exclusives, you mean.

Going by your numbers, the Wii is getting 7.4x more exclusives than the 360, and 12.3x the number of exculsives compared to the PS3; combining both the PS3 and 360 you still get 4.6x the number os exclusives.

That's some cute math, but completely disregards the games that are just on the 360 and PS3 as I've said.

There. I've highlighted the relevant points to facilitate your reading comprehension.

I specifically stated that "going by your (Bodhesatva's) numbers..."

What you posted afterwards is kind of hard for me to take into account, becuse unfortunately I lack the clairvoyant skills to preempt what you will say in the future.

And yes, I have an innate ability to make numbers look cuddly and gorgeous. Thanks for the compliment.

You are still ignoring all the games announced for the 360 and PS3 that will not be on the Wii. You can not "combine" the PS3 and 360 exclusives and get 4.6 times the exclusives for the Wii because you aren't including the games that are on both the PS3 and 360, such as the many I named above.

I am not ignoring ANYTHING. I was simply REFERRING to Bodhesatva's numbers.

You have an issue with that? Bring it up with Bodhesatva. Not me. From HIS NUMBERS, my CUTE math is as SOUND AND ACCURATE as math can possibly be.

"combining both the PS3 and 360 you still get 4.6x the number of exclusives" because you do not include the games that are on the 360 and PS3 that are still "exclusive" from the Wii.

You can't do that. I've already explained why repeatedly. Here we go:

1) You cannot make a "Wii vs. every other platform in the world" scenario. Obviously, Microsoft and Sony will not agree to this -- the simplest examples are Grand Theft Auto IV and the timed exclusivity of UT3. Is GTA coming to both platforms? Sure. But Microsoft paid millions to establish exclusive content. Similarly, Sony sent engineers to Epic to help optimize the UE3 engine for the PS3: both companies are fighting tooth and nail for these multi-platform titles.

2) The combination of 360/PC/PS3 clearly casts the PS3 in a more favorable light than it deserves. It easily has the least exclusive titles, the lowest install base, and the lowest number of quality exclusives both available and in production. As I've said, you've used this technique repeatedly, trying to latch the PS3 on to the 360. The 360 has twice the number of exclusives and nearly three times the install base.

One last time, for emphasis: you cannot convince me that Sony and Microsoft would be happy to combine the PC, 360 and PS3 platforms just so they could reasonably compete against Nintendo.

No - you don't understand. I am referring to what was highlighted in orange as per Bodhesatva's post.

1) Whether Sony and Microsoft are paying through the nose to secure cross-platform titles or exclusives is not my concern. That's how they want to do business, fine. But in terms of numbers, if you add up the number of exclusives from the Wii compared to the PS3 and 360 it adds up to 4.6x. Because the numbers don't add up the way you want them to because it makes your fanboy console look bad is not my concern. Mathematically (as in A+B=C) the multiplier is still 4.6x.

2) Apart from this thread, name ONE other post where I've "latched the PS3 onto the 360". Again, I don't give a rat's ass whether the 360 has a larger install base or whether the PS3 can cure you of chancre (Edit: that word is right - I don't mean cancer). I'm going by Bodhesatva's numbers only. Why is that so hard for you to understand?

One last time: I am not either trying to convince you that "Sony and Microsoft would be happy to combine the PC, 360 and PS3 platforms just so they could reasonably compete against Nintendo" - I really don't even have the foggiest where you came up with that assumption.

totalwar23 said:
windbane said:
your mother said:
windbane said:
your mother said:
Bodhesatva said:

Here is this month's list of newly announced exclusives:

http://www.gamingtarget.com/article.php?artid=725

PS3: 3 new exclusive titles announced
360: 5 new exclusive titles announced
Wii: 37 new exclusive titles announced

That's an enormous swing: given that the PS3 and Wii had nearly identical totals of exclusives when they were launched, the Wii now has 2.5 times as many.

2.5x as many - as launch exclusives, you mean.

Going by your numbers, the Wii is getting 7.4x more exclusives than the 360, and 12.3x the number of exculsives compared to the PS3; combining both the PS3 and 360 you still get 4.6x the number os exclusives.

That's some cute math, but completely disregards the games that are just on the 360 and PS3 as I've said.

There. I've highlighted the relevant points to facilitate your reading comprehension.

I specifically stated that "going by your (Bodhesatva's) numbers..."

What you posted afterwards is kind of hard for me to take into account, becuse unfortunately I lack the clairvoyant skills to preempt what you will say in the future.

And yes, I have an innate ability to make numbers look cuddly and gorgeous. Thanks for the compliment.

You are still ignoring all the games announced for the 360 and PS3 that will not be on the Wii. You can not "combine" the PS3 and 360 exclusives and get 4.6 times the exclusives for the Wii because you aren't including the games that are on both the PS3 and 360, such as the many I named above.

and the cross platforming between the 360, PS3, and PC will mean that the PS3 and 360 will fight tooth and nail against each other for consumers while the Wii avoids the bloodshed. By combining the exclusives of the 360 and PS3 against Wii exclusives, you're effectively saying people will buy BOTH the PS3 and 360 rather get the single Wii. More likely, people will go for a 360/Wii or 360/PS3 combination. Get the best of both worlds and that will hurt both 360 and PS3 sales. You combine the 360 and PS3 together when in fact there are bitter rivals.

I think, honestly, he's simply looking at this from a player's perspective. I totally agree with Windbane that a cross platform titles is really just as good for a player as an exclusive one would be, as long as he can play them both on his platform. 

But for the hardware companies? Not even remotely the same. Grand Theft Auto IV cost Microsoft what, 50 million dollars to secure exclusive content? How much money did Sony spend optimizing the UE3 engine for the PS3? Link:

http://kotaku.com/gaming/dyack-justified%3F/phil-harrison-talks-unreal-engine-fixes-for-the-ps3-280944.php 

Sony sent in a "SWAT team of super engineers."  This is a bloody battle over these multi-platform titles. One can only imagine how much blood would be visible if we knew just how those other "timed exclusive" titles were contracted. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

windbane said:

your mother: I was being sarcastic with the word "cute."

Your stat of games that the Wii will not get (because they are only on 360 and PS3) is not accurate. That's all. I realize you were working with incomplete data.

Oh , I know.

My part about reading comprehension wasn't. 

Whatever you think of Wii's games (present or future), it is selling better than any other home console.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

GothayeX,

sure, those games aren't going to the Wii. But I doubt the lack of those games will hurt Wii sales, it has its own exclusives as well. That's the direction Nintendo has taken. love it or hate it.

but yeah, it's the 360 that benefits from the multiplatforms right now, not the PS3. But what windbane is doing is collecting all the games that is not coming Wii to try to compensate for the fact actual PS3 exclusives are lacking comparing to the Wii and 360.