By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Wii third party game explosion has begun!

After TGS we will see if developers are going to be backing Wii for realz into '08.

Honestly I don't even think it matters so much right now. For 07-early 08 Nintendo is going to sell as many systems as they can make. By then 3rd parties will have to support it with software (and software exclusives) to make any profit, whether they are on good terms with Nintendo or not.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

Around the Network
Desroko said:
windbane said:
Desroko said:
windbane said:
your mother said:
Bodhesatva said:

Here is this month's list of newly announced exclusives:

http://www.gamingtarget.com/article.php?artid=725

PS3: 3 new exclusive titles announced
360: 5 new exclusive titles announced
Wii: 37 new exclusive titles announced

That's an enormous swing: given that the PS3 and Wii had nearly identical totals of exclusives when they were launched, the Wii now has 2.5 times as many.

2.5x as many - as launch exclusives, you mean.

Going by your numbers, the Wii is getting 7.4x more exclusives than the 360, and 12.3x the number of exculsives compared to the PS3; combining both the PS3 and 360 you still get 4.6x the number os exclusives.

I do not mean to say the same thing over and over, but this is not exactly an "explosion" if you ask me.

37 new exclusives in one month is not an explosion? You're reaching, here.

Compared to the number of games the Wii isn't going to get, it's not an explosion. It was E3, all the systems got a lot of announcements.

And the Wii got far more then your PS360 combination combined.

How do you figure that?  I named a lot of games the Wii will not get.

your mother said:
windbane said:
your mother said:
windbane said:
your mother said:
Bodhesatva said:

That's an enormous swing: given that the PS3 and Wii had nearly identical totals of exclusives when they were launched, the Wii now has 2.5 times as many.

Going by your numbers, the Wii is getting 7.4x more exclusives than the 360, and 12.3x the number of exculsives compared to the PS3; combining both the PS3 and 360 you still get 4.6x the number os exclusives.

That's some cute math, but completely disregards the games that are just on the 360 and PS3 as I've said.

There. I've highlighted the relevant points to facilitate your reading comprehension.

I specifically stated that "going by your (Bodhesatva's) numbers..."

What you posted afterwards is kind of hard for me to take into account, becuse unfortunately I lack the clairvoyant skills to preempt what you will say in the future.

And yes, I have an innate ability to make numbers look cuddly and gorgeous. Thanks for the compliment.

You are still ignoring all the games announced for the 360 and PS3 that will not be on the Wii. You can not "combine" the PS3 and 360 exclusives and get 4.6 times the exclusives for the Wii because you aren't including the games that are on both the PS3 and 360, such as the many I named above.

I am not ignoring ANYTHING. I was simply REFERRING to Bodhesatva's numbers.

You have an issue with that? Bring it up with Bodhesatva. Not me. From HIS NUMBERS, my CUTE math is as SOUND AND ACCURATE as math can possibly be.

It is wrong to say "combining both the PS3 and 360 you still get 4.6x the number of exclusives" because you do not include the games that are on the 360 and PS3 that are still "exclusive" from the Wii.

sinha said:
360 (96 total)
released: 47, 20 green (43%)
unreleased: 49, 16 green (33%)

PS3 (47 total)
released: 8, 3 green (38%)
unreleased: 39, 12 green (32%)

Wii (113 total)
released: 23, 5 green (22%)
unreleased: 90, 18 green (20%)

So the Wii has the most exclusives, but the lowest percentage of green games.
Wow, no wonder the PS3 isn't selling well, it's the most expensive console and only has 8 released exclusives? And of those eight, only three have decent Metascores, and the highest is only 86.

Also, I wonder what the numbers are like for non-exclusive games...

The non-exclusive list is much better for the PS3, but that's why it's struggling. Some of them are 360 ports, and some are even PS2 ports -- why buy a system that is 200-400 dollars more expensive to play the same game? 

It's interesting to note that despite the lower percentages, the Wii already has more green titles (in raw number) than either of the other two systems. I expect by the end of September, the Wii will have 2 times as many exclusives from established franchises compared to the PS3, and perhaps 1.5 times as many as the 360. 

The low "Green" percentages will probably persist throughout the Wii's lifespan. The dominant platform always gets all the new IPs and budget titles -- most of which end up stinking, but a few are gems, as others have stated.  

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

windbane said:
your mother said:
windbane said:
your mother said:
windbane said:
your mother said:
Bodhesatva said:

That's some cute math, but completely disregards the games that are just on the 360 and PS3 as I've said.

There. I've highlighted the relevant points to facilitate your reading comprehension.

What you posted afterwards is kind of hard for me to take into account, becuse unfortunately I lack the clairvoyant skills to preempt what you will say in the future.

And yes, I have an innate ability to make numbers look cuddly and gorgeous. Thanks for the compliment.

You are still ignoring all the games announced for the 360 and PS3 that will not be on the Wii. You can not "combine" the PS3 and 360 exclusives and get 4.6 times the exclusives for the Wii because you aren't including the games that are on both the PS3 and 360, such as the many I named above.

You have an issue with that? Bring it up with Bodhesatva. Not me. From HIS NUMBERS, my CUTE math is as SOUND AND ACCURATE as math can possibly be.

It is wrong to say "combining both the PS3 and 360 you still get 4.6x the number of exclusives" because you do not include the games that are on the 360 and PS3 that are still "exclusive" from the Wii.

...and how does that translate into cute, cuddly numbers? 

Around the Network
Bodhesatva said:
sinha said:
360 (96 total)

PS3 (47 total)

Wii (113 total)

So the Wii has the most exclusives, but the lowest percentage of green games.
Wow, no wonder the PS3 isn't selling well, it's the most expensive console and only has 8 released exclusives? And of those eight, only three have decent Metascores, and the highest is only 86.

Also, I wonder what the numbers are like for non-exclusive games...

The non-exclusive list is much better for the PS3, but that's why it's struggling. Some of them are 360 ports, and some are even PS2 ports -- why buy a system that is 200-400 dollars more expensive to play the same game?

It's interesting to note that despite the lower percentages, the Wii already has more green titles (in raw number) than either of the other two systems. I expect by the end of September, the Wii will have 2 times as many exclusives from established franchises compared to the PS3, and perhaps 1.5 times as many as the 360.

The low "Green" percentages will probably persist throughout the Wii's lifespan. The dominant platform always gets all the new IPs and budget titles -- most of which end up stinking, but a few are gems, as others have stated.

The best version of the PS3 is $20 more than the best version of the 360.  I agree that price and the 360's head start are the reason the PS3 is struggling, however.  A lot more exclusives are coming.

Comparing just the PS3 to the Wii is actually easier for the PS3 (even though you like saying I try to tag-team the Wii, which I'm not), because it has more quality games so far. 

windbane said:
your mother said:
windbane said:
your mother said:
windbane said:
your mother said:
Bodhesatva said:

"combining both the PS3 and 360 you still get 4.6x the number of exclusives" because you do not include the games that are on the 360 and PS3 that are still "exclusive" from the Wii.

You can't do that. I've already explained why repeatedly. Here we go:

1) You cannot make a "Wii vs. every other platform in the world" scenario. Obviously, Microsoft and Sony will not agree to this -- the simplest examples are Grand Theft Auto IV and the timed exclusivity of UT3. Is GTA coming to both platforms? Sure. But Microsoft paid millions to establish exclusive content. Similarly, Sony sent engineers to Epic to help optimize the UE3 engine for the PS3: both companies are fighting tooth and nail for these multi-platform titles.

2) The combination of 360/PC/PS3 clearly casts the PS3 in a more favorable light than it deserves. It easily has the least exclusive titles, the lowest install base, and the lowest number of quality exclusives both available and in production. As I've said, you've used this technique repeatedly, trying to latch the PS3 on to the 360. The 360 has twice the number of exclusives and nearly three times the install base. 

One last time, for emphasis: you cannot convince me that Sony and Microsoft would be happy to combine the PC, 360 and PS3 platforms just so they could reasonably compete against Nintendo. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

your mother:  I was being sarcastic with the word "cute."

Your stat of games that the Wii will not get (because they are only on 360 and PS3) is not accurate.  That's all.  I realize you were working with incomplete data. 

windbane said:
your mother said:
windbane said:
your mother said:
Bodhesatva said:

You are still ignoring all the games announced for the 360 and PS3 that will not be on the Wii.  You can not "combine" the PS3 and 360 exclusives and get 4.6 times the exclusives for the Wii because you aren't including the games that are on both the PS3 and 360, such as the many I named above. 

and the cross platforming between the 360, PS3, and PC will mean that the PS3 and 360 will fight tooth and nail against each other for consumers while the Wii avoids the bloodshed. By combining the exclusives of the 360 and PS3 against Wii exclusives, you're effectively saying people will buy BOTH the PS3 and 360 rather get the single Wii. More likely, people will go for a 360/Wii or 360/PS3 combination. Get the best of both worlds and that will hurt both 360 and PS3 sales. You combine the 360 and PS3 together when in fact there are bitter rivals.

Bodhesatva said:
sinha said:
360 (96 total)

PS3 (47 total)

Wii (113 total)

360: 36 green

PS3: 15 green

Wii: 23 green

The Wii does not have more green titles in raw number than either of the other two systems. The 360 has 13 (50%) more than the Wii.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick