By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - 1 Million copies of Fable2 sold first week, but can it move hardware?

Maybe a 10-20K boost over last week, I don't expect a large boost but rather see it as another good game that will facilitate overall 360 sales this winter.

Around the Network
lwhatee said:

Only a fanboy would think that Fable 2 will sell in europe

A. Are you not a fanboy?

B. Fable 2 will certainly sell in europe, at least one copy.

C. If you mean "sell well" then what do you consider "well?"

D. Care to comment on any of the other things I've owned and destroyed you with in earlier posts on this topic, or will you just stick to your simplistic, generalized, unprovable assertion that by definition cannot be right or wrong, and is designed so you can move the goalposts after the actual numbers are released?

Silly Little Sparrow.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

There is some serious fanboyism going on around Fable 2 .... you would think it hurts them a little bit every time they hear pro 360 news the way they go on, get a life!!

I'm hoping by chance Fable 2 cracks 1 Million week one. In Japan it can do 50k+ easy, sales have risen greatly over there, TLR comes out the month before, its released 1 week before christmas and its an RPG.

I'm fed up arguing with fanboys about what sales it will get, I'm eagerly anticipating the numbers.

ROFLOL...it's going to be interesting to see if this pumps up any sales...maybe for console owners of other brand who want this experience, and hte price is right.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

DMeisterJ said:
@ stick

We don't even have JP numbers for the first game, how do you suppose up to 50k for 1st week sales?

Anyhoo, a million seems likely, with good American numbers.

I'm not sure, but I think someone said in an earlier post that Fable 1 was the best selling Xbox game in Japan, so it might have at least a small fanbase there...dunno if that's true or not.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network
seece said:
There is some serious fanboyism going on around Fable 2 .... you would think it hurts them a little bit every time they hear pro 360 news the way they go on, get a life!!

I'm hoping by chance Fable 2 cracks 1 Million week one. In Japan it can do 50k+ easy, sales have risen greatly over there, TLR comes out the month before, its released 1 week before christmas and its an RPG.

I'm fed up arguing with fanboys about what sales it will get, I'm eagerly anticipating the numbers.

I agree, I would love to see it do well, but I'm just here to get my fanboy ownage of the day, I could really care less about the subject under which that win is earned.

Also, I think it's just one person.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

DMeisterJ said:
@ stick

We don't even have JP numbers for the first game, how do you suppose up to 50k for 1st week sales?

Anyhoo, a million seems likely, with good American numbers.

http://garaph.info/softwareindividual.php?gameid=2659

It was the top-selling Xbox game in 2005. That was the same year that Ninja Gaiden Black did half of that.Now why predict something upto 10x what Fable 1 debuted with?

Lets look at some '04-05 releases with similar X360 titles out there:

Title Comparison Xbox First Week Xbox LTD X360 First Week X360 LTD FW/LTD Multiplier
Soul Calibur - II v. IV 18,262 Unknown 34,791 51,228 1.9x / N/A
Halo - 2 v. 3 29,235 45,917 61,143 83,696 2.1x / 1.8x
Forza Motorsports - I v. II 3,096 6,542 9,870 31,255 3.2x / 4.8x
Ninja Gaiden: Black v. 2 3,886 7,439 27,215 46,675 7.0x / 6.3x
Kingdom Under Fire: Crusaders v. CoD Unknown 6,716 15,172 21,875 N/A /  3.3x
Rainbow Six: 3 versus Vegas 1 Unknown 5,186 8,065 18,592 N/A / 3.6x

The point of all of that was/is to show how much better current iterations of comparible games on the Xbox to X360 have done. In the case of Fable 1, it debuted with 5,405 software units en-route to 15k LTD.

The median number, it seems, puts X360 games at selling 2.5-3x more than Xbox games do, so we could assume 15k for Fable 2. Now, having said that, the X360 has other major advantages such as it being near Christmas, and having a ton of readily-used systems for the purchasing base - a luxury the Xbox certainly did not have in Japan in early 2005.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Metacritic score of 89?? This game is a failure! I'm going to return it, for not scoring 1/100 higher.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

sinha said:
Metacritic score of 89?? This game is a failure! I'm going to return it, for not scoring 1/100 higher.

It's actually like 2 tenths of a point, with the magic of rounding.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

We will have to wait for the first week sales, first month sales of Fable 2.