By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - 1 Million copies of Fable2 sold first week, but can it move hardware?

matt247 said:
Reasonable said:
It's a very good game, it sold well, it looks like it didn't move consoles (in any significant way anyway) so there we have it.

Time to look to the next big releases with regard to driving additional console sales.

Why do you have to look at console sales during the same week the game was released to determine if it was a console seller? I bought my 360 for Halo 3 a month before the game came out, just right after the price cut.

Because I work in retail planning & optimization.

The clearest time to identify a spike is during the initial few weeks.  After that the game may/may not be driving sales as its part of a back library of games.

You can split it out later but it takes a lot of analysis and decomposition of sales effects to do so.

With games and media the general convention is that any spike you can attribute will be immediate.  For example the MGS4 spike for PS3 and the Halo 3 spike for 360.  Therefore given 360 sales have not shown a big jump it implies Fable 2 is not driving sales directly but as part of the whole 360 offering.

Picko - I agree as you can see.  Once a game drops into the libary its very hard to assign console sales to that game alone.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Around the Network

There was no boost whatsoever and it was expected. I mean really who thought that Fable 2 would actually move hardware?

End of '08 predictions (made by theprof00): PS3: 20m, 360: 23.5m, wii: 42m

Now Playin':  PS3|Resistance 2, LBP, Uncharted and Fifa 09, PSP| Ratchet and Clank: Size matters, 360| Gears of war 2 and Fallout 3.

lwhatee said:
DirtyP2002 said:
lwhatee said:
I predict 600k first week
400k in USA and 200k (max) in europe

let's bet. I bet Fable2 will sell more than 700k next week worldwide according to VGC. 

and the 350k at launch aren't VGC data, I think.

yes 350k is Vgchartz data

when NPD and GFK comes in then u will see it to be around 500k max

there is no way Fable 2 will reach 1m in sales worldwide since it got 8/10 from most european reviewers

also IGN's 8.8 will severely affect sales

so u have 600k max worldwide for the first week

MAX = 600k

haha u got owned pretty hard. Fable sold 1 million in 5 days in the US + 2 days in Europe. Japan is still to come. You won't response to this anyway, but I am just enjoying my victory right now. Feels so good.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Fable 2 is not  much of a 360 hardware seller.