By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - 1 Million copies of Fable2 sold first week, but can it move hardware?

Jordahn said:

No excuse, buddy.  You've made mistakes, too.  But remember... City on a Hill... Salt of the Earth...  I'm sure you get my drift...

lol, you know this guy is Zenfoldor bait. I can't change over night, my friend, but I am trying to change.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network
Imperial said:
Squilliam explained this nicely before but i can't remember exactly what he said. The further on we progress through the generation the less impact an exclusive game is going to have , as the libary expands on a given console a single title will be less and less of an incentive to buy a console as time passes.

Thanks

Yeah there are some pretty obvious things to say about exclusives.

1. If they aren't selling software they aren't selling hardware. So that uber game from 3 years ago that barely registers 5k on the charts isn't going to be moving many (if any) units.

2. If a genre is saturated then the impact of a multiplat/exclusive is going to be muted. See FPS genre for reference.

3. The games which sell big are generally the ones which move consoles, you have a ratio of consoles moved vs software sold. So without numbers on the software side obviously theres no hardware sold.

4. The experience has to be fantastic and compelling. There are games which are worth $60, but there aren't many which are worth $360. Consider points 1/2/3 as well. A game like Halo still sells, it has a lot of people who still play it for hours a week online and its sold big numbers. Its an obvious hardware mover. Ditto*3 for something like Mario Kart/SSBB.

5. People have to talk about the game, they have to share it with their friends etc. The games with the longest legs have a significant local multiplayer aspect and are also very good.

So will Fable 2 sell consoles? I can't say. Its safest to assume it won't sell that many, but it does have a few things going for it. Its got multiplayer, its compelling, its not genre saturated because the last similar release was Oblivion 3 years ago in this genre. So im gonna go out on a limb to say its gonna sell a few, but not significant enough to look like much of a blip outside of the week to week variance and rise towards holiday sales.

Tease.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
lwhatee said:

europe and x360??

something doesnt match. even PES 09 couldnt sell 200k on x360 in europe . what makes u think Fable 2 will

fable 2 got 8 from gamereactor/gamekult/gamer.nl/ptgamers/level7 and most eu reviewers

It is not a big game in europe .plus europeans dont like x360 except the British

It's got a 10 from Eurogamer and a 9 from Edge. Those are by far your two most respected review sources, unless you count IGNUK, where it got a 9.5. (gamereactor/gamekult/gamer.nl/ptgamers/level7) are B-C level sites, and aren't even all averaged on some aggregate review sites. Even then, 8 is a great score, especially when it's not really 8/10, it's 4/5, which gives them much less room to choose between great and perfect.

You're just trying to marginalize the game because you hope it doesn't do well and hurt your prescious Playstation 3. Obviously. Is it strange that I am mean to "people" like this? Do you want to keep posting?

No one reads eurogamer in europe

Gamereactor is the biggest scandinavian website which gave Fable 2 8/10.

Jeuxvideo /gamekult/Tilt/gamer.nl/level7/pt gamers/everyeye italia are all the biggest websites in their respective countries

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox360/fable2

http://www.n4g.com/Xbox360/games/g-21448/tt/metareviews.aspx

plus LBP took away all shines from Fable 2 in europe.

If u think Fable 2 will sell well in europe then u are completely delusional

we will be seeing the charts on Monday. It is not that far off

plus europeans dont like x360 except the British

Thats a lie. The Irish love the 360 aswell. We may be small but we still count.

lwhatee said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
lwhatee said:

europe and x360??

something doesnt match. even PES 09 couldnt sell 200k on x360 in europe . what makes u think Fable 2 will

fable 2 got 8 from gamereactor/gamekult/gamer.nl/ptgamers/level7 and most eu reviewers

It is not a big game in europe .plus europeans dont like x360 except the British

It's got a 10 from Eurogamer and a 9 from Edge. Those are by far your two most respected review sources, unless you count IGNUK, where it got a 9.5. (gamereactor/gamekult/gamer.nl/ptgamers/level7) are B-C level sites, and aren't even all averaged on some aggregate review sites. Even then, 8 is a great score, especially when it's not really 8/10, it's 4/5, which gives them much less room to choose between great and perfect.

You're just trying to marginalize the game because you hope it doesn't do well and hurt your prescious Playstation 3. Obviously. Is it strange that I am mean to "people" like this? Do you want to keep posting?

Jeuxvideo /gamekult/Tilt/gamer.nl/level7/pt gamers/everyeye italia are all the biggest websites in their respective countries

LOL.  I am amused by your babbling.

Around the Network
lwhatee said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
lwhatee said:

europe and x360??

Do shut up already, nobody cares about your predictions or what you think Fable 2 is going to do, if you hate it so much why are you even posting in this thread? Fact of the matter is it sold 350k in one country in one day. 1 Mill is certainly not out of the question, roll on next weeks sales figures!

lwhatee said:

I think that alexa says your argument about Gamereactor is just about useless.

Daily Pageviews (by percentage of total views on the internet):

Jeuxvideo: 0.02%

Gamekult: 0.002%

Eurogamer:0.0015%

Everyeye: 0.0006%

Gamer.nl: 0.0002%

Gamereactor: 0.0001%

The point? If no one reads Eurogamer, than Gamereactor has a negative reader base, and the bad score may help Fable 2 :-p

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

and FIFA09 sold better even in the release week of PRO EVO. Go Ireland!!!

Hmm possibly but doubtful. Of course it'll move some hardware but not too many games actually move hardware outside of Japan. What moves hardware in America when a big game releases? Increased shipment and advertising. And it's obvious Fable 2 will have brought this but it's a core franchises that doesn't stretch to far out into the mainstream. I mean it gets mainstream buys of course but it's not like your Gears of War or Halo equivalent when it comes to the mainstream.

I do agree with the diminishing returns when it comes to exclusives as well. So it'll move some hardware... possibly and extra 25k-50k but it's not going to be a huge mover. Nothing where we'll be screaming and yelling next week about its awesomeness to move hardware.

lwhatee said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
lwhatee said:

1. LOL at the bolded. Eurogamer is the biggest european review source, they gave it a 10/10...since we're using our opinions and such, as facts. Also, everyone reads Eurogamer in europe.

2. You read my previous posts? I'm sorry, but you were destroyed. You should stop now. You've ran out of arguments, from here on out, you will do little besides conceding to me slowly, during a struggle.

3. If those metacritic links are supposed to mean anything to me know this, Metacritic itself just added a 100/100 for Fable 2 from 1up and gametrailers review isn't in yet. It may not be a scandinavian, but they still matter, don't they? Also, yes, flaming Fable 2 because of reviews is like flaming doughnuts because of the creamy filling. 89.4 or 89.5 make little difference to any gamer, outside of the fanboy arena.

4. Especially when at least one of those reviews was in part determined by how poorly the reviewer felt that day, instead of how good the game was. Usually doesn't matter, but you are arguing over a half of a percentage of a point here, so we're allowed to split hairs. Again, though, nobody argued the game was AAA according to metacritic in the OP, so why the f did you bring it up, besides flamebaiting, trolling, and trying to be an ass in general?

5. You don't refute any of my points, you just say "we'll see next week, you're delusional."

6. However, we won't see anything next week. The only time we'll ever know is if MS releases official numbers. I'm not saying that Fable II will sell what you consider to be "well" in europe. I do think that according to the recent vgchartz story, it has a good chance to sell a million worldwide which includes "others," which isn't Europe. I don't care about europe....or scandinavia for that matter. Japan numbers should also be added when available.

7. I doubt LBP will affect Fable 2 sales or vice-versa.

8. Since you don't want to count Japanese sales, as you said in your previous post, because it's being released later, can we not count european sales for LBP, since it also has a staggered launch?

9. Stop trying to extend the argument to make it look like we're having an interaction, so you can save face. it's too late for that. Next time troll a game that isn't great, to satiate your PS3 inferiority complex.

10. It looks like neither IGN nor Gamereactor can agree between reviewers on this game's score. Is this just user-review or what?

http://www.gamereactor.dk/anmeldelser/71468/Fable+2/

Which version of this semi-no-name review source should be believed. The one the "true Sony fan" tells us to, because it's lower?

11. Why do they always pick me?

It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.