By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Do you expect the next Wii to get the 'main, big' 3rd party titles en masse?

When Nintendo launches their next home system (I imagine they´ll want to capitalize on the name 'Wii'), do you think it´ll get the main, big 3rd party titles from the get-go?

One of the pecularities of the Wii is it´s the 1st home system that despite being the leader, doesn´t get the majority of the 3rd party 'big blockbuster' titles, unlike previous leaders (NES, SNES, PS1 and PS2).

When the 8th gen comes, Nintendo has the chance to capitalize on the success they´ve been having with the Wii, the same way they did during the NES---SNES transition (though the Genesis was a fierce competitor) and Sony during the PS1---PS2 transition...given that, perhaps many 3rd parties will be expecting Nintendo´s next system to be a huge success from the get-go, and will start releasing main entries of their franchises for it.

A main Devil May Cry, a main Resident Evil, a main Soul Calibur, a main Silent Hill, a main Final Fantasy, etc....

It´d truly be a "new SNES" (the Nintendo system that, IMO, was the best one, having the very best combination of 1st and 3rd party blockbusters).

What do you think?

Around the Network

i expect the majority of japaneese third partys to be moving to the wii very soon, in fact its already happening kinda. west weill take longer since there is still the view in that market that wii is casual crap

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia

No, simply because it's probably more profitable to just release it Xbox 360/PS3 and/or PC since they have hardcore audiences that are more likely to buy those games.

shio said:
No, simply because it's probably more profitable to just release it Xbox 360/PS3 and/or PC since they have hardcore audiences that are more likely to buy those games.

Did you even read the thread?

Rhonin the wizard said:
shio said:

Did you even read the thread?

oops, well it's impossible to say since we don't know how the hardware and controllers of the next consoles will compare to each other.

Around the Network

I think most games will just be PS360.

4 ≈ One

Dgc1808 said:
I think most games will just be PS360.

Same question as for shio.

The problem with the Wii is, it was not released first, nor was it a successor to a highly popular console.

The NES basically started it's generation, it got the 3rd party support because it was huge before anything else had a chance.

The SNESwasn't first to the market of the generation, but it was following from the NES, and even though it was following the NES, the MegaDrive made a damn good run for number 1 (50 million SNES to 30 million MegaDrive is hardly domination)

The PS1 was first to the market, and built up third party support (helped by the cheap CD based games and Sony's "everybody in" policy, unlike Nintendo who were restrictive, which helped stop shovelware but was still a restriction that the PS1 didn't have)

The PS2 was also first to the market (well Dreamcast was but wasn't any real competition) and was following the succesful PS1.

The Wii was not first (in fact it was last by 2-3 weeks) and is following the GameCube.

TWRoO said:

The Wii was not first (in fact it was last by 2-3 days) and is following the GameCube.

The two were released on the same weekend, with the PS3 on the Friday and Wii on the Sunday.  Ah, I remember that weekend--what an awesome blip in gaming history...

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

This depends on what third parties do this generation with Nintendo. If companies start generating strong brands on Nintendo, they could benefit from large sales for generations to come.

Sega for example has done very well to integrate Sonic into the Nintendo library. So well, that Sonic has almost become a Nintendo character achieving Nintendo like levels of sales (well, a nintendo B game that is). The first Sonic game on the next Nintendo console is practically guaranteed a million in sales if the game is any good.

On the other hand, most gaming experiences will be tweaked to whatever hardware is selling the most at the time. Third Party developers don't make money from loyalty, but on selling their games on the console that is likely to generate the most sales, so i guess we will have to see what the next generation is going to look like.

Member of the Pikmin Fan Club