By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The official NTDOY/Nintendo discussion thread

This is kinda funny. Nintendo's stock went up so much today it got capped out by the exchange, and was not allowed to go any higher. Expect another up day for 7974 on the Osaka stock exchange tomorrow.

5000 Yen Limit.

Thats about 41 US dollars a share! (shares are now over $500)

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=conewsstory&refer=conews&tkr=7974:JP&sid=aZs6vtlkWPp0

July 26 (Bloomberg) -- Shares of Nintendo Co. rose to a record, bringing the company's market value to $73 billion, after the maker of the top-selling Wii console raised its earnings forecast on demand for the console and game titles.

Nintendo added 8.8 percent, or the exchange-imposed limit of 5,000 yen, to 61,800 yen at the 3 p.m. close of the Osaka Securities Exchange, valuing the Kyoto-based company at 8.76 trillion yen ($73 billion). That exceeds Sony Corp.'s value of 6.37 trillion yen by about 38 percent.

The company, whose Wii console outsells Sony's PlayStation 3, yesterday raised its net income forecast by 41 percent to 245 billion yen for this fiscal year. More game titles and a cheaper price than Sony's PlayStation 3 may help Nintendo reach an increased sales target of 16.5 million Wii players this year. Tokyo-based Sony forecasts shipments of 11 million PlayStation 3s.

``With the popularity of the Wii and the launch of a new Pokemon game title in Europe on July 27, we expect sales to remain strong for the rest of the year,'' Atsuko Kaneko, a games analyst at UBS Securities Japan Ltd., wrote in a report dated today. She kept her ``buy'' rating on the stock, and raised the 12-month share price target to 63,000 yen from 47,000 yen.

Nintendo, whose market value doubled last year, plans to build on the success of the Wii's motion-sensor remote controller with new products including a steering wheel and exercise pad.

Net income in the first quarter ended June 30 surged fivefold to 80.3 billion yen, the company said yesterday. Sales, bolstered by its DS portable player and the ``Mario'' games series, more than doubled to a record 340.4 billion yen.

Around the Network

I was wondering why the chart kept getting stuck. I didn't know that rule existed. Crazy Japanese market!

FishyJoe

It will be #2 before too long.

FishyJoe said:
I was wondering why the chart kept getting stuck. I didn't know that rule existed. Crazy Japanese market!

Well this is a good thing because it also applies on the way down. So it is harder to get burned by so much.

I would hate to get burned on my 7974 but I am not worried I know it is going a lot higher.

I like the rule - gives investors a chance to jump in buy tomorrow :)

Still find it astounding. It wasn't THAT long ago (a few years) that Ninty's stock was UNDER 5000 yen.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network

well, hopefully the ADRs performs just as well tomorrow! i did after all bought some more NTDOY today at $60.30.

$3.1bln profits forecast... $660mln this quarter. $3.1bln should be reachable. let's see...

660mln just announced (pokemon Q)
730mln next Q (jul - sept... what's big in this Q?)
1.2bln x'mas Q (oct - dec... all the big guns.)
810 mln after x'mas Q (x'mas leftover sales.)
that's $3.4 bln.

they should be able to best their own estimates.

the thing is, with vgchartz, one can, provided he put in the work, arrive at extremely accurate revenue numbers for nintendo. it will be much more accurate than analyst's estimates.

the Wii is an epidemic.

Holy smokes, current price of NTDOY is $64.85!

Argh, the market is dragging us down. Oh well, I guess I can't complain too much about making $3 rather than $5 on a day the market is getting creamed

I'm thinking we'll see a slide back tonight because of the market crash. On the positive side, we won't lose more than 5000 yen LOL! All the companies will be hit, so I'm not going to sweat it.

7974 at 59,900 yen. small pullback. nothing to worry about. it will almost surely do very well by the end of year.

if it pulls back to around $55 in the US, time to buy more!

the Wii is an epidemic.