By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The official NTDOY/Nintendo discussion thread

BOOYAH! Another big opening on the TSE. This baby just won't quit!

Right now it's at 59,400 +3000 (+5.31%)!!!

Around the Network
FishyJoe said:
BOOYAH! Another big opening on the TSE. This baby just won't quit!

Right now it's at 59,400 +3000 (+5.31%)!!!

Just watching it now. That's truly amazing. I thought it would take 1-2 weeks to reach 60,000 yen - try 1 day.

Going to post this in here for some new calculations...

When shares were: ¥52,900

10-Largest Japanese Companies by Market Cap

1. Toyota (NYSE: TM - News) ¥27.3 trillion ($223.6b)
    2. Mitsubishi UFJ (NYSE: MTU - News) ¥14.2 trillion ($116.3b)
    3. Mizuho FG (NYSE: MFG - News) ¥9.8 trillion ($80.3b)
    4. Canon (NYSE: CAJ - News) ¥9.6 trillion ($78.6b)
    5. Mitsui Sumitomo FG ¥8.7 trillion ($71.3b)
    6. NTT (NYSE: NTT - News) ¥8.5 trillion ($69.6b)
    7. Honda (NYSE: HMC - News) ¥8.35 trillion ($68.4b)
    8. NTT DoCoMo (NYSE: DCM - News) ¥8.3 trillion ($67.9b)
    9. Nintendo ¥7.5 trillion ($61.4b)
    10. Takeda Pharma ¥7.2 trillion ($59b)

* Values as of Friday 7/20 Tokyo close; all figures rounded to nearest ¥100 billion; US$ figures converted at ¥122.1 for convenience; tickers are for respective exchange-listed ADRs

Shares are 12% higher (gain of less than 1 week!).

This brings Ninty market cap to $68.94bn ($69bn) - at the same exchange rate.

This places them 7th on the above chart (there goes Honda...), and 1% below NTT. 

Want to share around some of your Ninty cash, FishyJoe? ;)

(I wish we have receipts or something I could buy here on the local exchange...) 

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Eeek. Did a refresh 10min later - and stock was up to 59,900.

There goes NTT - Nintendo is now officially the 6th biggest company in Japan by market cap!! (*)

$69.6bn and counting...

(* - I haven't checked share prices of competing companies, may well have risen during the last week..).

(** - guess I'm getting excited... and kicking myself for not owning shares... :P).

If the stock reaches 61,400 --> they will overtake Mitsui Sumitomo ... and be 5th.

(EDIT - 5min later, Ninty stocks officially reached 60,000...)

Gesta Non Verba

Game Assessment website

This is so unreal, for a few minutes we were at 61000. At the lunch break we are sitting at 60,400. It's like a new sport just clicking the reload button.

Every month or so I kick myself for not buying stocks a month ago. If I'd just bought some the first time I'd be sitting pretty right now. Ah well, c'est la vie.

Around the Network

I would love a Ninty stock channel on the Wii.

Wonder if the TSE has noticed a traffic spike on that Nintendo page...

Gesta Non Verba

Game Assessment website

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aLwjmpTdt3D0&refer=home

Nintendo Stock Rises to Record, Exceeds Sony's Value (Update1)

By Hiroshi Suzuki

July 26 (Bloomberg) -- Shares of Nintendo Co. rose to a record, bringing the company's market value to $71 billion, after the maker of the top-selling Wii console raised its earnings forecast on demand for the console and game titles.

Nintendo added 6.3 percent to 60,400 yen at the 11 a.m. break on the Osaka Securities Exchange, valuing the Kyoto-based company at 8.56 trillion yen ($71 billion). That exceeds Sony Corp.'s value of 6.51 trillion yen by more than 30 percent.

The company, whose Wii console outsells Sony's PlayStation 3, yesterday raised its net income forecast by 41 percent to 245 billion yen for this fiscal year. More game titles and a cheaper price than Sony's PlayStation 3 may help Nintendo reach an increased sales target of 16.5 million Wii players this year. Tokyo-based Sony, which reports today, forecasts shipments of 11 million PlayStation 3s.

``With the popularity of the Wii and the launch of a new Pokemon game title in Europe on July 27, we expect sales to remain strong for the rest of the year,'' Atsuko Kaneko, a games analyst at UBS Securities Japan Ltd., wrote in a report dated today. She kept her ``buy'' rating on the stock, and raised the 12-month share price target to 63,000 yen from 47,000 yen.

Nintendo, whose market value doubled last year, plans to build on the success of the Wii's motion-sensor remote controller with new products including a steering wheel and exercise pad.

Net income in the first quarter ended June 30 surged fivefold to 80.3 billion yen, the company said yesterday. Sales, bolstered by its DS portable player and the ``Mario'' games series, more than doubled to a record 340.4 billion yen. 

I know I must be sounding like a broken record, BUT IT CAN'T BELIEVE IT!

Right now we is at 61,400!!!!!!!!!!!

FishyJoe said:
I know I must be sounding like a broken record, BUT IT CAN'T BELIEVE IT!

Right now we is at 61,400!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't believe it either.

Its rising like a new BlueSky tech stock would.

Shares are now up 116% from the start of the year. If that continues for the 2nd-half of the year, stock price could exceed 100,000 yen.

Its only going to get worse (better?) when WiiFit is released.

Pretty close to 5th biggest company in Japan at the moment. 

If they get another day of growth like today, they could well be in 3rd position overall.

(also worth noting that Sony's stock price has risen 2-3% today. Good news for Ninty also means good news for Sony, as the industry in general benefits). 

Gesta Non Verba

Game Assessment website

It's official now!

http://www.smh.com.au/news/biztech/wow-wii-nintendo/2007/07/26/1185339147060.html

Nintendo now fifth biggest company in Japan

July 26, 2007 - 3:56PM

Nintendo zipped past telecoms giant NTT and a major financial group to become Japan's fifth-biggest company by market value on Thursday, propelled higher by a stellar earnings performance on demand for its Wii and DS game gear.

By mid-afternoon Nintendo's stock had climbed 8.1 percent to 614,000 yen, adding to a 3.5 percent gain made on Wednesday after its earnings announcement.

Nintendo lifted its annual outlook above market expectations after quarterly operating profit more than tripled, as its strategy to expand the gaming population to women and the elderly paid off handsomely.

Offering innovative and easy-to-play games, the company's DS handheld player and Wii console have outsold rival Sony and Microsoft machines in recent months.

Its market value now stands at 8.69 trillion yen ($US72 billion), outstripping Sumitomo Mitsui Financial Group, Nippon Telegraph and Telephone (NTT), and Honda Motor which had placed higher in the rankings only a day before. It shot past Sony last month.

The Kyoto-based company revised up its operating profit forecast by 37 percent to 370 billion yen ($US3.1 billion) for the year to March 2008, topping a consensus of a 305 billion yen profit in a poll of 20 analysts by Reuters Estimates.

It also lifted its annual dividend forecast to 960 yen from an earlier estimate of 700 yen.

Nintendo's DS lets users control play with a stylus instead of manipulating a keypad, while the Wii, which competes with Sony's PlayStation 3 and Microsoft's Xbox 360, comes with an unusual motion-sensing controller that can be swung like a bat or a sword.

The creator of such game characters as Mario, Zelda and Donkey Kong raised its sales forecast for the Wii by 18 percent to 16.5 million units for the current business year, while lifting its DS sales target by 18 percent to 26 million units.