By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Square Enix wants a "Japanese alliance"

I saw on a french website that SE actually wants a "holly" japanese alliance because of the competitivity from western devs. Nothing else to say, but give your opinion, do you really think that japanese devs need that kinda stuff, or is it just a way to earn more and more money? Discuss, and be smart

Around the Network

Sweet. Western Dev's console of choice seems to be the western console (360). Such an alliance would either have to try to outshine western devs on the 360, being a huge boon for it as they develop more and better games for it. The other option is to try to marginalize the western console, and focus entirely on the Wii/PS3, a tactic which would doom their bottom line, and still not prevent the 360 from taking second place this generation... The primary effect would just be to bring back an era where there are lots of 3rd party exclusives (and with Microsoft's wallet and determination to win, they would acquire plenty more themselves)

All told, I don't think anyone would benefit.

The problem will be: Square Enix would want the most power in this....even if Namco, Capcom and Konami are just as good as Square.

It would be nice if Nintendo and Sony could work something out....even if both really wouldn't care.

Well what I like in this statement is that it comes frome SE, like if they were poor or whatever... They are making remakes that bring'em a lot of money: 5FF's (!) and 3DQ and they say that japanese devs are in danger. Excuse me SE, but look at sega: yakuza kenzan, yakuza 3, valkyria chronicles, a good sonic game for wii, ... look at capcom: dead rising, lost planet, RE5, SF4, ... look at namco ergh no, not namco ...

But what I mean is that it's still possible to make money for asian games, they jsut have to be more innovative that DMC4, ridge sucker racer etc etc etc

The boat.  You missed it.  Silly duplicate threads.

Around the Network

In the beginning Japan was the only gaming country in the world, at least with heavy commercial use. Emerging markets Europe & NA created their own developers. Japanese developers are now forced to make games with world wide appeal. This is relatively easy for western developers, because 75% of the WW market is their home market. The holy years of Japanese developers are over. Western developers will also face the same problem, once emerging markets China & India will rise.

Nintendo domination in Japan is a problem for Japanese third parties since many rely so heavily on that country for sales. Without a strong PS3 and 360 presence in that region there's really nothing that can be done except for them to wait it out until the next generation and to stop relying so heavily on Japan for their game sales.

Legend11 said:
Nintendo domination in Japan is a problem for Japanese third parties since many rely so heavily on that country for sales. Without a strong PS3 and 360 presence in that region there's really nothing that can be done except for them to wait it out until the next generation and to stop relying so heavily on Japan for their game sales.

That, or, you know, bring those third party games to the Wii. How's that for a slice of fried gold?

if marvellous's games do well that could be a turning point

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia

Posted already.

4 ≈ One