By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan: Mario Party 8 Pre-orders now over 500k

Thx, RolStoppable

If Mario Party 8 really sells that good, we should really ask ourselves how good Nintendos games will do if they are released on a winning console.

Around the Network

Ah, so there's retailer pre-orders and customers pre-orders. That explains the obscene numbers some games have been hyped with lately.

Of course even 300k retail pre-orders means 300k games on the shelf day 1, which is a good sign for a potential million seller, is it not?

RolStoppable said:
Louie said:
Thx, RolStoppable

If Mario Party 8 really sells that good, we should really ask ourselves how good Nintendos games will do if they are released on a winning console.

Look at the DS to get an idea. I predict at least 5 Nintendo games on the Wii will sell 10m+ (that's 5 times as much 10m+ sellers as Sony had on the PS2)

That´s exactly my thought - if a (mediocre) game like Mario Party 8 sells the numbers it does in the US and Japan, what will happen to Nintendos biggest franchises? Will their sales explode to a NES/SNES level again?

It really seems we were all underestimating Nintendo... even the fans.

@Parokki: Yes, it is a good sign, you shouldn´t forget one thing though: If retailers pre-order 300k units of a game they don´t expect to sell out after the first two weeks (look at the hysteric about Dragon Quest Swords, they didn´t expect to sell out and they are going crazy now.) so if the game sells 300k copies after the first two weeks, there is little chance the game will sell in exceed of 1 million if it doesn´t show significant legs... we´ll have to see, but we should expect HSG to be successful at least.

Parokki said:
Ah, so there's retailer pre-orders and customers pre-orders. That explains the obscene numbers some games have been hyped with lately.

Of course even 300k retail pre-orders means 300k games on the shelf day 1, which is a good sign for a potential million seller, is it not?

no, not really.  Retailer preorders are usually about 60-70% of LTD sales depending on the legs of the game and how accurate the retailers are in predicting the demand. 

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

HGS is big for the PS3 because a game selling 500k on the PS3 is a huge deal. Game selling on that much on the Wii is a hit but not as significant, this is especially important in Japan where HGS could be the biggest selling PS3 game there so far.

This is why HGS is the next big PS3 game and MP8 is a decent Wii hit.

Also, the reason why MP8 will sell there is the same reason why it is selling here and it's that it appeals to the casuals who bought Wiis probably more than the Nintendo fan base.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Around the Network

You got to be kidding me! I seriously hope this won't be true?! Who wants to buy such a low rated game like MP8, game got low scores all over the West and it's not even online. If this turns out to be true, it really pisses me off. Again a idiotic party game wins over normal games, and more the reason for developers to come up with this kind of nonsense. Because it sells so good... *pulk*.

This profile is no longer in use, see my other profile *~Onna76~*

WiiGirl76 said:
You got to be kidding me! I seriously hope this won't be true?! Who wants to buy such a low rated game like MP8, game got low scores all over the West and it's not even online. If this turns out to be true, it really pisses me off. Again a idiotic party game wins over normal games, and more the reason for developers to come up with this kind of nonsense. Because it sells so good... *pulk*.

Did I step into a parallel universe or is this sarcasm? Also what is this pulk you speak of?

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

and hope that Nintendo doesn't need to recall the game over a single word. 500k units is a lot of money.

Louie said:
RolStoppable said:
Louie said:
Thx, RolStoppable

Look at the DS to get an idea. I predict at least 5 Nintendo games on the Wii will sell 10m+ (that's 5 times as much 10m+ sellers as Sony had on the PS2)

That´s exactly my thought - if a (mediocre) game like Mario Party 8 sells the numbers it does in the US and Japan, what will happen to Nintendos biggest franchises? Will their sales explode to a NES/SNES level again?

It really seems we were all underestimating Nintendo... even the fans.

@Parokki: Yes, it is a good sign, you shouldn´t forget one thing though: If retailers pre-order 300k units of a game they don´t expect to sell out after the first two weeks (look at the hysteric about Dragon Quest Swords, they didn´t expect to sell out and they are going crazy now.) so if the game sells 300k copies after the first two weeks, there is little chance the game will sell in exceed of 1 million if it doesn´t show significant legs... we´ll have to see, but we should expect HSG to be successful at least.

actually DQS has a better chance than you think (won't reach a million but it can get up there) because it sold about 308k in the first 4 days, even during week 1 it was being fairly supply constrained, and in week 2 it had to have sold out. 

Usually games that sell about 300k will then sell about 140k the second week but DQS didn't have a chance to do that.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Oh cmon...Mario Party is the original "minigame" game...

It's a little rehashed and the graphics aren't much, but I had fun with the game...

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )