By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - I've been paying atention to console sales predictions......come on people!

Galaki said:
Yep, the government is going to give everyone a coupon to pick up a free PS3 along with an HDTV to spice up the economy.

lol no. that would be awesome though, wouldn't it?

but in all honesty, if I had to tell you a year ago that each US taxpayer would receive a couple of hundred dollars cash-money from the Fed you would have laughed at me then too.

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Around the Network

From the end of august to the end of the year the average is to sell 10% MORE than you did the whole year. If you look at the charts here in the site, you´ll see that Ps3 sold roughly 6,5 mln units till august, so the expectation is to sell rouhly the same aumont till the end of the year. Guess how much is this? 6-7 mln, so it´s not a bad prediction. x360 will sell well over 4,5 mln, given the price cut and wii, without suply issues, can make it to 25 mln in 2008(whole year, 13 mln in the last 4 months)

Just for the record, so far: Wii 1,2mln x360 960k Ps3 740 k

VASCO DA GAMA CAMPEÃO DA COPA DO BRASIL!!!

CONGRATULATIONS VASCÃO

VICE É O CARALH*

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future......NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Well, given that most predictions were done at the start of the year, the price cut had given the PS3 a lot of momentum, and from memory almost everyone that predicted the 23-24 million range was expecting another price cut before christmas, you can't really have a go at people for predicting high, given the change in circumstances.

Sure people could now change their YTD predictions for 08, but that takes all the challenge and fun out of it. The whole point is to make a fairly far out prediction and see how close you get, not keep changing your predictions so come the end of year you are dead on.

Wii selling 40 mil was fairly standard, though the guys who predicted less probably didn't anticipate how much Nintendo would increase production. At the end of the day you can cherry pick a lot of predictions to build a false picture. I'll cherry pick Rolstoppables prediction that the PS3 would sell no more 10 million by the production ends. http://vgchartz.com/forum/post.php?id=71764

Is that cherry pick unfair? Of course, PS3 was at its height of game failures and sales were rivalling laserdisc for 'consumer electronics greatest failure". People were getting excited over the Ratatiole game, it was that desperate. But it would be unfair to ask all nintendo fans 'WTF do you realy think its going to only sell 6-7 million copies by the end of the generation!! GET REAL PEOPLE'.

Show me a recent prediction for 24M PS3 consoles by January. I think last year, people may have predicted this, but nobody thinks this now.

you neeed to take into hand that the holiday season is coming up, a time where people buy lots and lots and lots of crap.

Around the Network
WiiStation360 said:
Show me a recent prediction for 24M PS3 consoles by January. I think last year, people may have predicted this, but nobody thinks this now.

Ssst before you know Diomedes and Crazzyman come in and say the PS3 is going to pass the Wii at the end of 2008 thx to FFXIII releasing in 2010.

How will Wii NOT sell 40 million+? Last year Wii had 2-4 weeks straight of 1 million+ sales.

Bet - "PES 2009 (PS3) will sell (closer to) 150k first week in Japan" - Pooperscopper
"It will sell closer to 125k" - Me I agree.
ME = OWNED :(

End of '09 Predictions:

Wii: 78 million
X360: 35 million
PS3: 27 million

Sorry...DB..

libellule said:
Seihyouken said:
Last year PS3 sold over 4 million consoles between October 14th 2007 and January 6th 2008.

That was a period when the system had A 100$ PRICE CUT, zero AAA exclusives and had HD-DVD still competing with Blu-ray.

Expect PS3 to sell at least 5 million more by 2009.

fixed ;)

Price cuts have maximum effect when they actually make you cheaper than the opposition.

I personally think that 24 million PS3 sales predictions are ridiculous, but at the other end of the spectrum, so was one 19 million prediction I saw. That same person went on to predict the Xbox 360 at 27 million. Yes, the 360 is going to sell MORE than it did last year despite the fact that year over year sales have fallen some 80%.

I say 21.5 million for PS3 and 24 million for 360 are perfectly reasonable.

As for the Wii, it sells well. That's a fact. I say 40 million is the low end, the high end is like 43 million. I don't like it, but it's true.

EDIT: To the OP, out of interest, what are your predictions?

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Hey remember JohnLucas's prediction of 60 million EOY 08 for Wii? All consoles have their share of crazy predictions. As for my predictions, I'll go 42mil Wii, 25 mil Xbox360, 20.5mil PS3, and 124mil PS2.