By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Can Level-5 be the next Square-Enix?

Square-Enix has been on a bit of a downturn since the end of last generation. Don't get me wrong S-E still makes great games, but their former dominance and command has faded a bit in recent years especially while everyone is just waiting for FF [v]XIII. They're enjoying their remake sales and such but the real S-E games haven't even started this generation, so they might even make a sudden rise to power again once Lost Remnant comes out. However do you guys think Level-5 can be the next S-E type developer. Level-5 is already working on Dragon Quest IX, White Knight Chronicles, and The Another World all of which look great. Seeing a game studio working with people like Akira Toriyama and Hayao Miyazaki's Studio Ghibli reminds me of projects like Chrono Trigger, and that's a huge plus because I love those collaboration games. Do you think they'll stay independent or merge with another company like Square did with Enix? Personally I really hope they stay indepenpent and grow because I believe they'll keep bringing fresh games to a market that is getting clogged with cookie cutter games. I wouldn't mind them becoming a first party too much either, but then I might have to buy another console just to play their games.

Around the Network

they need a big hit first , A BIG BIG ONE and they need to kill FF :D

blackstar said:
they need a big hit first , A BIG BIG ONE and they need to kill FF :D

Well first off, they would have to advertise the crap out of their game.  Second off, it still wouldn't do anything to FF.

This will only take a moment of your time. *steals your watch*

They could. The Layton games have done very well, but they would need White Knight to do very well.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

WKC will give us a hint.

F.U. Fun University.

Around the Network

No need to kill FF, just compete with it like Square and Enix used to do. And competition drives innovation, technical advancement in the genre and so on.

Atlus and Nippon Ichi became the new Square Enixs last generation. Can Level-5 become the new Atlus or Nippon Ichi? Maybe.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Onyxmeth said:

Atlus and Nippon Ichi became the new Square Enixs last generation. Can Level-5 become the new Atlus or Nippon Ichi? Maybe.

Phantom Brave FTW!

Watch it now.

Don't want to be accused of liking Level-5 since FFXIII went multi-plat, by a certain forum contributor.

gera4390 said:
WKC will give us a hint.

Yup!

As for becoming the next Atlus, no one can. Atlus are just too good.

I really hope Sony buys Level-5 though!