By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - UT3 User-created mods on 360? Mark Rein: "Oh, it's going to happen."

The Official Xbox Magazine brought up the issue of getting new content on the 360, and Mark Rein had some good news for Microsoft fans: it's coming. Of course, the 360 version won't be coming along until next year, and Rein is upfront about how tricky this could be. "To bring mods to 360, we're going to have to make some serious changes," he said. Even though it's unclear how this will work, he seems optimistic. "Oh, it's going to happen but 360 is a closed system so we have to work with Microsoft on that," he told the magazine.

Click through for article:
http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2007/07/20/mark-rein-on-user-created-content-on-the-360-oh-its-going-to-happen

Around the Network

I doubt it will happen, unless maybe the new boss is more open to user mods.

Wont happen.

mM

I'm not sure why you guys think it won't happen. If Microsoft refuses to allow user created content on the 360 for UT3, they can probably kiss UT3 goodbye. The UT3 community is all about mods. Microsoft would be complete idiots to block the content.

The only caveat I see is that the mods will have to pass some sort of certification process to be allowed on the 360 platform, so it may take a lot longer to get mods on the 360 than on the PS3.

Mark Rein could just as easily say, "Ok, no UT3 on 360" if he doesn't get his way. No skin off his back, the PC community combined with PS3 users would be enough bank for Epic.

OXM? the same ones with the new MGS4 rumor ? uhm .. somehow that makes me disbelief them , but I hope the best for you 360 guys , for mods are awesome for UT

Around the Network
Dolla Dolla said:
I'm not sure why you guys think it won't happen. If Microsoft refuses to allow user created content on the 360 for UT3, they can probably kiss UT3 goodbye. The UT3 community is all about mods. Microsoft would be complete idiots to block the content.

The only caveat I see is that the mods will have to pass some sort of certification process to be allowed on the 360 platform, so it may take a lot longer to get mods on the 360 than on the PS3.

Mark Rein could just as easily say, "Ok, no UT3 on 360" if he doesn't get his way. No skin off his back, the PC community combined with PS3 users would be enough bank for Epic.

Rein is no fool, he wont sacrafice a few hundreth thousand units sold over mods.  Would it surprise you if MS blocked mods, they are really anal about stuff like that.  Xbox owners generally dont care much about mods, that wont be a big facter as far as sales are concerned.

I doubt URT3 will sale well enough on the PS3 for Epic to ever concider droping the 360 verision.

Lafiel said:
OXM? the same ones with the new MGS4 rumor ? uhm .. somehow that makes me disbelief them , but I hope the best for you 360 guys , for mods are awesome for UT

It's not like it's in their rumor section, it's the actual game developer saying it.

I really don't believe it unless Microsoft opens up Xbox live. I'm thinking that Microsoft will want to take the most popular ones, get them to work on the 360, and then charge people to download these 'special' mods.

For all we know, Epic is probably arguing with Microsoft about this issue as Epic remains hopeful they can get mods to work.

Here we go, check out the full quote of what he said.

"Oh, it's going to happen but 360 is a closed system so we have to work with Microsoft on that"

Legend11 said:
Lafiel said:

It's not like it's in their rumor section, it's the actual game developer saying it.

Nice to see you posting again, Legend.