By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo game system helps patients rehabilitate after injuries

http://www.fayobserver.com/article_ap?id=108169 

Nintendo game system helps patients rehabilitate after injuries

The Associated Press
RALEIGH, N.C.

It took a car accident and the onset of Parkinson's disease, but 68-year-old Nathan Woodlief may finally have a chance at beating his grandson at video games. "He laughs at me," Woodlief says of the response his woeful performance elicits.

Junior may not be laughing, though, when Gramps returns from the hospital empowered by the device that nursed him back to health: the Nintendo Wii.

Wii? Oui.

The video game that couldn't stay on store shelves at Christmas is fast earning a second life as a useful tool in helping victims of debilitating diseases and accidents get back on their feet.

"It's good for my hand-eye coordination," says Stephanie Mezynski, who has been using the Wii as part of her rehab to recover from a paralyzing episode with multiple sclerosis. "It works."

The Wii created a buzz late last year thanks to its magic wand. Hold the wand in your hand, go through the motions you would for a variety of sports _ bowling, tennis, baseball and golf, for instance _ and an animated character on your TV screen carries through with your move. Got a slice in your real golf game? Your virtual Wii golfer will have one, too.

WakeMed began incorporating the Wii into its therapy program last month. "Patients become vested in it, and when they're vested it has a lot more meaning," says Karen Ambrose, a physical therapist at the hospital. "If you can get them to want to do it," she says of the often grueling process of physical rehabilitation, "they'll do it."

Getting rehab patients to buy in, say physical therapy practitioners, is most of the battle.

The first hospital thought to have used the Wii for rehab is the Glenrose Rehabilitation Hospital in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. But that's not where WakeMed's Recreational Therapy Department heard about it. The idea came from the guy who delivers wheelchairs. He mentioned that he had a Wii and thought the movement aspect might translate well to rehab.

Hundreds of thousands of patients recovering from events including strokes (suffered by 700,00 Americans annually), heart attacks (1.1 million a year), sports injuries and car crashes endure some form of physical therapy.

Although the type of therapy prescribed varies depending upon the illness or injury, most therapies demand considerable effort from the patient. Often, patients are attempting to relearn simple, rote tasks _ walking, for instance, or feeding oneself. Skills once taken for granted now seem impossible.

"People go into the hospital feeling bad about themselves and what they can't do," Ambrose says.

"You have to put them in a different mentality," says Kevin Poplawski, a physical therapist in the sports medicine/orthopedics department of UNC Hospitals in Chapel Hill.

That is what the Wii does.

Nathan Woodlief was an avid bowler before a car accident in June tore up his right kneecap. That was shortly after he had been diagnosed with a form of Parkinson's disease that affects the use of his left arm and leg. WakeMed physical therapist Elizabeth Penny recognized him as a prime candidate for the fledgling Wii therapy program.

Woodlief had the steely look of a Professional Bowling Association kingpin last week as he took aim on a 3-7-10 split on the 52-inch flat screen TV not 20 feet away. His left hand pressed against his walker, he brought the Wii wand back with his right, then with solid, if slow, form followed through, punching a button to let the ball go. On screen, it ambled down the lane, eventually taking out the 3 and 10 pins.

After a round of applause, Ambrose slipped into therapist mode: "I want a really strong throw from you, Mr. Woodlief."

This was Woodlief's third time on the virtual lanes. On his first day, Woodlief bowled seated in his wheelchair. The next day, he was propped on some mats in a semistanding position. Soon he was standing in his walker. Going from seated to standing in just four days showed good progress, Ambrose said. Though it may seem like fun and games, the Wii does what more traditional therapies attempt to accomplish, Penny says.

"In therapy, it allows patients to work on weight bearing and increasing coordination, increasing strength and stability, increasing fine and gross motor skills," she says. "Any of the games can be used to address problem solving, attention, short-term and long-term memory, decision making and scanning."

Fear that video games will damage these skills is among the very reasons some parents object to them.

WakeMed is at the forefront of what Rutgers University professor Grigore Burdea, an expert in high-tech rehab techniques, predicts will be common practice within five years. "It's very ingenious," Burdea recently told the Edmonton Journal. "This is pioneering work."

The increasing use of technology in rehab efforts isn't limited to video games.

At the University of North Carolina, golfers hobbled by back and other injuries are getting a chance to play through with the BacktoGolf therapy program developed by a Pebble Beach, Calif., physician. With it, therapists analyze the biomechanics of a golfer's swing, examining flexibility, strength and posture. They compare the swing with a videotape of a pro golfer of similar stature, the pro presumably having near-perfect technique. Then, working with a golf instructor, they formulate a swing that's best for the patient.

"I've never had a golfer tell me the program lowered his score," says Poplawski, "but I have heard them say they can play without back pain."

It's the Wii, though, that's therapy's current techno darling.

So far, Penny says, WakeMed has used the therapy for patients ages 7 to 75, with issues ranging from knee replacements and spinal cord and brain injuries, to stroke, cerebral palsy and Alzheimer's.

Where the Wii may prove most effective is when a patient is discharged and must continue rehab on his own.

"It is something they can use at home," says Penny of the device that sells for about $250. "Patients can play with their families, even their grandkids."

That may explain the glint in Woodlief's eye when, between frames, he says, "I'm thinking very seriously about bringing one home."

Around the Network

Ama get a wii

mM

Extra! Extra! Wii console saves 14 orphans, 2 nuns and a litter of kittens from a burning building! Read all about it!

How can there possibly be another reason to adore this system to its very core? I'm about to go buy another one.

"Whenever you find a man who says he doesn't believe in a real Right and Wrong, you will find the same man going back on this a moment later."   -C.S. Lewis

"We all make choices... but in the end, our choices... make us."   -Andrew Ryan, Bioshock

Prediction: Wii passes 360 in US between July - September 2008. (Wii supply will be the issue to watch, and barring any freak incidents between now and then as well.) - 6/5/08; Wow, came true even earlier. Wii is a monster.

PlagueOfLocust said:
Extra! Extra! Wii console saves 14 orphans, 2 nuns and a litter of kittens from a burning building! Read all about it!

How can there possibly be another reason to adore this system to its very core? I'm about to go buy another one.

LOL... Nintendogs and Animal Crossing hasn't even been released on it yet.  I guess that Firefighting game will only further the idea that this system is goody goody, like sugary Lollipops... the kind you keep buying :)  (Keep the suck jokes out).

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

While it definitely isn't certain, I see more and more possibility of the Wii becoming the cultural phenomenon that some have been predicting.  Right now it is a hot item, but there have been hot video game consoles before.  A constant discussion I see brought up on these boards in discussing Wii lifetime sales is that there are only so many households to buy consoles in the first place. 

But, just imagine if hospitals, nursing homes, day cares ect. all started investing in these for obvious benefits?  Wow, it could be mindblowing.  I'm still skeptical about it ever happening, but I think one could come up with a viable argument that the Wii could do something outragous like 250 mil lifetime sales and really change how we see videogames.  I'm really excited to see if this is possible.

Wii Fit I saw as being very limited at first because it is not much of what I would want to do in regards to working out, yet I can now seeing it have incredible success in regards to physical therapy.  The potential behind the Wii really is outstanding.  I just hope Nintendo doesn't do anything stupid and really listens to buyers this time around.

Around the Network

My god, I am so sick of articles having to explain what the Wii is. I think videogames have gotten to the point that we don't need to go through this. Ridiculous.

But, anyways, good for the Wii. I'm just scared of it taking over the world. Before you know it, every Laptop using, Frappuccino drinking, Douchebag East Coast Yuppie in their silk shirts will have one.

Please Nintendo, a guy who watches VH1 AND plays videogames is a sign of the apocalypse.

MontanaHatchet said:
My god, I am so sick of articles having to explain what the Wii is. I think videogames have gotten to the point that we don't need to go through this. Ridiculous.

But, anyways, good for the Wii. I'm just scared of it taking over the world. Before you know it, every Laptop using, Frappuccino drinking, Douchebag East Coast Yuppie in their silk shirts will have one.

Please Nintendo, a guy who watches VH1 AND plays videogames is a sign of the apocalypse.

In B4 PS3 cures Cancer.

Damn, I miss VH1. MTV is total garbage nowadays.

VH1 stills exists. I was just watching Ferris Bueller. I also saw a commercial for a show about living in your 30s and how it is the worst time in your life.

Aint that the truth...

Articles like this have been comming out for a while now and I expect we will see a new wave of them in early 2008 ...

Any Physio or Ocupational therapist will tell you that there are thousands of conditions which are aided by repetative co-ordinated movements; the problem is that many of these conditions are also associated with physical limitations which could prevent someone from taking up Karate or Dance. Existing excercises are often boring and many patients progress is slowed because they simply do not 'feel' like doing their excercises. There have been attempts to create videogames for these patients before but the systems and hardware was generally too expensive for clinics and specifically for patients homes.

The Wii offers the benefits of being far more entertaining than most excercise routines, doesn't (necessarily) require a lot of physical motion, and can easily be purchased by clinics and paitents. Under the direction of a therapist a patient can easily be taught their excercises as motions that work in certain games ("Swing at the Baseball using one hand"), and it is heavily supported so you could customize the content to match the patients' interests (someone may prefer playing Zelda over Tiger woods);

Wii Fit could (potentially) take this to the next level as more lower body excercises can be worked into the routine ...