By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Greenberg: We’ll globally outsell PS3 this Christmas

http://kotaku.com/5065004/microsofts-aaron-greenberg-well-outsell-ps3-worldwide-this-holiday

Got this on kokatu see what you think.

He is one cocky man.

September marked the Xbox 360's best month of 2008, in terms of sales in the U.S — its performance in Japan hasn't been too bad either. Following a price cut that made the 360 the least expensive current generation console on the market, the company moved 347,200 units to American consumers. While it wasn't enough to supplant the Wii as the best selling console in the country, it was enough to beat the competition from Sony.

We spoke to Aaron Greenberg, group product manager for Xbox 360, just after NPD sales numbers hit to get his take. Unsurprisingly, he seemed rather pleased with the company's recent hardware successes.

"We expect to continue our price advantage over the PlayStation 3 for a long time," Greenberg told us, pointing to the $199 price tag of the company's entry level Arcade console, assuming that Sony would issue no pre-holiday price drops. "And we feel confident that we'll outsell the PS3 this holiday season in North America and in Europe. We'll do it on a global scale."

As for what those consumers are picking up, Greenberg said "We've seen lifts across all consoles, but the Arcade is doing exceptionally well."

Microsoft touted a 42% increase, month to month, on NPD hardware sales data. Greenberg made sure to point out that the August survey period consisted of a four week month, with the September period five weeks long. That, Greenberg said, illustrated "flat growth" of the PlayStation 3.

Fanning the flames of the console war of words, Greenberg harped on the Xbox 360's abnormally high attach rate, which at 8.1 games per console, outpaces the PS3 by 2:1 and the Wii by 3:1. "And that doesn't include [Xbox Live Arcade] games," he boasted.

Okay, we get it. You're swimming in cash and exclusive and high attach rates. Good job. Is Xbox Live going to work this holiday season? Because it didn't last year. How prepared are you, Microsoft man? How will Live hold up?

"Hopefully, very well," Greenberg said "We've grown our team and our infrastructure over the past year." With the New Xbox Experience, Gears of War 2 and even more Live ready titles putting a strain on the service this holiday, we'll see, Aaron. We'll see.

Around the Network

You posted this yesterday..why post it again?

mM
leo-j said:
You posted this yesterday..why post it again?

What, no i didn't.

we will see I guess.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Because you'd expect them to say:
"No we don't expect to outsell anything this christmas, we'll just roll over and die"

Great strategy that is...

Around the Network

With all things considered, Microsoft has to be satisfied with how it has hitherto performed this generation. Yes, there has been some unpleasantness-RROD, for example-, but Microsoft has done reasonably well.

ll at greenies attach rate garbage, the attach comes in higher in NA as 360 has been out longer and has more consoles.

in EU attach is same mabey slightly more on ps3 side, simply because there are similar numbers of consoles here.

so greenie is talking out of his arse!

i do agree hower than 360 may sell more this xmas mainly in NA, but i disagree of him spinning the price cut sales numbers because before price cuts 360 was becoming stagnent

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

""We expect to continue our price advantage over the PlayStation 3 for a long time,"
at this price point , u should believe not expect :P

CAL4M1TY said:
Because you'd expect them to say:
"No we don't expect to outsell anything this christmas, we'll just roll over and die"

Great strategy that is...

HAHA btw i hate ur sig :)

Wait...

It isn't April Fools yet.