By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii Music Review Thread

I will get it too

Around the Network

Thus far, only the 1UP reviewer - perhaps not coincidentally, the only one of the bunch who admits to being an actual musician - seems to really "get it." Asking a non-musician to review Wii Music is just as silly as asking, say, someone who knows absolutely nothing about football to review the latest Madden iteration. Of course they'll hate it, because they don't get what it's supposed to represent.

The IGN review, for example, is just terrible. The reviewer approaches it as though it were a "rhythm game" a la Guitar Hero, and soon the review lapses into a tirade of "lol Midi," "lol non-gamers," and "lol kiddy."

Gaming journalism sucks.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

So then do you think that the only people that should buy the game are those who are musicians? Because if I had to guess, at least some of the people that end up buying it won't happen to be musicians, and then wouldn't they represent the people that should read IGN's review?

If Nintendo made a game only fun to Musical theory majors then yay for them, that's their prerogative, but I see no issue with having non musicians rating it unless the box warns people that unless they are musicians they should not buy the game.

Torillian said:
So then do you think that the only people that should buy the game are those who are musicians? Because if I had to guess, at least some of the people that end up buying it won't happen to be musicians, and then wouldn't they represent the people that should read IGN's review?

If Nintendo made a game only fun to Musical theory majors then yay for them, that's their prerogative, but I see no issue with having non musicians rating it unless the box warns people that unless they are musicians they should not buy the game.

Buying != reviewing. You can buy, read, and even enjoy, say, Joyce's Finnegan's Wake, but if you had someone who's not well-versed in post-modern literary analysis review it, how valuable do you think their review would be?

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

I'm going to buy it, but not for myself. I have a bunch of nephews that I think will enjoy it immensely.

Around the Network
Garcian Smith said:
Torillian said:

Buying != reviewing. You can buy, read, and even enjoy, say, Joyce's Finnegan's Wake, but if you had someone who's not well-versed in post-modern literary analysis review it, how valuable do you think their review would be?

but will that Post-modern literary analysis tell any random person how much they'll enjoy reading the book or just other people well-versed in post-modern literary analysis?  Because that is the basis of Video Game reviewing is trying to help people get a handle on how much they'll enjoy it and whether it is worth their purchase.  And for that end, I see no issue with someone reviewing the game that isn't well-versed in music theory, because not every customer will be.  And if your prior knowledge of music is a factor in how much you enjoy the game and how easy it is to get into then potential buyers should be told as such.

It's fine for non-musicians to review Wii Music. Nintendo didn't intend to cater only to them, and if non-musicians end up hating it, they failed in what they set out to do.

The IGN review, however, isn't just a non-musician issue. The guy obviously hates what Wii Music stands for, and compares it to things he "prefers" (GH/RB), even though they're completely different games. He's allowed to give whatever rating he feels Wii Music deserves, but the way he went about it was still childish - I mean, making a video designed to make the game look as bad as possible? His expressed desire to give the game a bad review before it came out didn't exactly help.

So far I've liked Gamespy's review the most. Seemed the best to me as I think the other ones were too extreme. 7.0 is a good review score for it and I liked what they said about it.

I think I'll hold off on Wii Music until it drops in price in 2009 for now.

c0rd said:

It's fine for non-musicians to review Wii Music. Nintendo didn't intend to cater only to them, and if non-musicians end up hating it, they failed in what they set out to do.

The IGN review, however, isn't just a non-musician issue. The guy obviously hates what Wii Music stands for, and compares it to things he "prefers" (GH/RB), even though they're completely different games. He's allowed to give whatever rating he feels Wii Music deserves, but the way he went about it was still childish - I mean, making a video designed to make the game look as bad as possible? His expressed desire to give the game a bad review before it came out didn't exactly help.

That makes sense then.  If the IGN review should be ignored for reasons other than his lack of musical talent then alright.  I just think that people shoudn't take 1up's as the end all be all because she's a musician, I would agree though that IGN's was probably biased based on what was written, but I see no issue with the 7 review.

kingofwale said:
SmokedHostage said:
I'm surprised the Sony and Microsoft haven't come in droves yet as they did in this thread. http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=45713&start=100

don't bait.

coming from the master baiter.....

Lol, just had too... Just playing.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut