By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii Music Review Thread

Hi,

I just HAD to register to vhchartz to thank Lingyis for making me decide to buy Wii Music: I admit I was a bit on the fence before reading his post.

A bit of info about me as well: I'm an IT consultant, and an amateur musician: I play piano and various recorders / flutes; I love music in all forms, with strong preferences for ancient/baroque/classical and jazz.

I guess I could describe myself as an hardcore gamer, but I hate labels and I love my rabbids, if you hear my words :)

I bought Wii Music just after reading Lingys' comment, along with Call of Duty, which I had already decided to buy: little did I know that six hours later COD would've still been wrapped in its cellophane sleeve.

Saying that Wii Music exceeded my best expectations would be a wild understatement: I would gladly buy a Wii just to play it (hadn't I got one already, that is ;) )

I really think IGN reviewer (and most of journalists) didn't get it at all: Wii Music has nothing to do with rhythm games à la Guitar Hero: you don't have to press buttons: you have to play, experiment, arrange and enjoy (which reminds me of an insightful article about game criticism -as opposed to reviews- and why we need it: http://playthisthing.com/game-criticism-why-we-need-it-and-why-reviews-arent-it).

It's not definitely a game tout court: it's something between a toy and a software tool.

Actually, I don't really care what it is, as long as it allows me to do have so much fun doing music, even doing jam sessions with my wife –which can't play any instrument–.

Could it have been better? Yes, definitely: the ancillary modes are charming yet unfinished, for instance.

Could the song roster be larger and broader? Oh that would've been sweet.

Could the samples of certain instruments (I'm looking at you, electric guitar!) sound a bit better? Hell, yeah.

Are those show-stoppers? No, not for me: it's something who lets me jam and arrange; it's something who lets me play music with a person I love (moreover: she's getting better at grokking rhythm and music in general: Wii Music is actually *gasps* educative).

Oh and c0rd: don't worry: you just unlock everything after an hour of playing around or so... nothing difficult and definitely no BDSM-gaming here ;)

If you have further questions about the game, I'll be glad to answer them as well as I can.

BTW: in case you were wondering: I've unwrapped COD and played it by now:it's great but I'm definitely having much more fun with Wii Music :)

Around the Network

1UP has a brain!!

the game rocks!

Wii console: 0595 8808 5698 2709
Super Smash Bros Brawl: 1161 1357 5188

Mario Kart Wii: 1633 4506 4319

PES 2008: 1633 5820 0347

DragonBall Z BT 3: 3823 9760 9484

Pokemon Battle Revolution: 3480 2645 9186
Feel free to add me, and sent me a pm with your Friend Code!!

Lingyis said:

got it from Amazon last night, tried it out for probably an hour or so.  bit of background about myself: classically trained pianist, and pretty much a "casual" gamer.

it has completely surpassed my expectations--although it's kind of like the Sarah Palin VP debate since the bar was set so damn low. 

still, it's the most fun i've had playing a game since WarioWare Smooth Moves.  i underestimated how much fun it is to play a piece with whatever kind of variations you want on the theme.  the minimal amount of effort you need to make the music sound different is of huge interest to me. 

more on this playing variations on the fly: so far, i'm actually quite impressed that they've implemented all the algorithms to make the music come out correctly.  i thought it's really neat.  as somebody who knows both music theory and computer algorithms very well, i know it's not actually that hard to accomplish, although there are some careful decisions that you need to make in this process.  the IGN reviewer completely did not realize this--not surprising, since they don't appear to know much about music.  i don't know how the Mii Freestyle mode in GHIV is like so i can't make any comparisons.  also, it probably isn't new technology--but again, Nintendo manages to bring it to the masses in an easy and intuitive way, which is what really matters.

i find the handbell quite charming, perhaps due to its simplicity.  i can imagine it being a lot of fun playing with 4 people--the best part being that you need no musical background whatsoever to play fun.  but i don't understand why they only offer you 5 songs on this mode.  that seems absolutely ridiculous.

the wii maestro mode seems gimmicky, but it's also the one i enjoyed the most.  changing tempo to your whims is definitely very cool, and i think it's mainly fun because you'll actually (kind of) conducting.  again, just 5 songs? 

the perfect pitch game is too shallow, with basically only 5 kind of tests.  although if it were any more complicated, i don't know if i myself can play through the quizzes.  i think you can make an independent game out of this segment alone.

i haven't unlocked the music arrangement mode yet.  i'm very intersted in trying it out.  one reviewer mentioned that they have silly songs like twinkle twinkle little star, but what they don't realize is that the variations you expand on these themes are absolutely endless.  one of mozart's more famous variations is in fact variations on this twinkle twinkle little star theme:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71f2fahFhDE

writing variations on a theme is one of my favorite musical activities--maybe largely because i'm rarely ever happy with any original melody i come up with myself.  so i just piggyback on a famous theme and expound on it.

rearranging music obviously takes a lot of effort, i'll have to try out and see how easy it is in wii music.  i've always wanted to write string or piano quartets, but the orchestration/arrangement is simply too much work for me.  it'll obviously still be a lot of work in wii music, since the interface doesn't take away the amount of thought you need to put in.

i'll get together with one of my violin playing friends for multiplayer and see what he has to say.  if we enjoy our "jam" sessions, then i'll go ahead say wii music is a success.

overall, i'm quite enthusiastic about this.  i'm definitely having more fun with Wii Music than either Wii Fit or Wii Play.  Wii Play is pathetic, but it's also only 10 bucks.

I don't know, I'm  also a classically trained pianist and a software engineer student and I was a bit underwhelmed by the game. I think their algorithm suck. It seems to be something like: if you're close to a note, play the note. Else, play a random note in the same key.

I know writing variations is cool even though I'm much more into original stuff myself, I was a bit disappointed that the result was just: it sounds a bit random.

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...

Godot said:

I don't know, I'm  also a classically trained pianist and a software engineer student and I was a bit underwhelmed by the game. I think their algorithm suck. It seems to be something like: if you're close to a note, play the note. Else, play a random note in the same key.

I know writing variations is cool even though I'm much more into original stuff myself, I was a bit disappointed that the result was just: it sounds a bit random.

Oh, hi: we've been waiting for you (sorry, couldn't resist).

That's interesting, 'cause I feel quite the opposite about WM's algorithm... it's clever enough to punish you with out of pitch notes if you just miss the tempo... anyway, I thought it was very easy too unless I've seen my wife (who's musically untrained): it's hard as a brick for her to get a decent jam... so I guess the game does its thing in a musically legitime way: what do you think?