By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Is paying $50 or less year for xbox live really that big of a deal??

WiiStation360 said:
It all depends on your usage of Live.

If the 360 is you primary platform and you play online a lot, $50 is not a big deal.

If the 360 is a secondary or 3rd console, or you occasionally want to play online with friends, you are not getting the same value as the hardcore 360 player.

It makes total sense that you, the hardcore 360 user, does not care about the fee, but realize that people who only play the 360 online occasionally will not get the same value out of it for the same price you are paying.

Never thought of it that way as a primary 360 user I always thought it was reasonable to pay but if it was my 2nd or third console I can see your point

PS3, WII and 360 all great systems depends on what type of console player you are.

Currently playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, Fallout 3, Halo ODST and Dragon Age Origins is next game

Xbox live:mywiferocks

Around the Network
Lord N said:

That's $50 for every year that you own the console. For just one generation, that's $250, and it keeps adding up if you buy MS's next console.

With that $250, you could buy:

4-5 extra games
Several extra controllers and a charge station.
Another console

Sony doesn't charge to play online for the PSP and PS3, Nintendo doesn't charge play online for the DS and Wii, and with the exception of MMO's, it's also free on the PC.

I already pay $50/month for broadband, so I'm not paying even more to go online with a console. I've used both Xbox Live and the PSN, and as far as online gaming goes, the latter is just as good as the former in my book. That considered, XBL doesn't offer anything more that warrants the fee.

Couple of small points you can get the online retail 12 month card on sale for $40-$45.00 if you look around.  Second you get 13 months for that price

PS3, WII and 360 all great systems depends on what type of console player you are.

Currently playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, Fallout 3, Halo ODST and Dragon Age Origins is next game

If I bought the game I don't wanna pay again to play it the way it was intended to be played. I don't buy MMORPGS for the same reason. I could buy another game or accessory with that money. Why spend it to do something I've been able to do for free forever?

What does "Razz my berry" is that, while live costs $50, the only benefit over silver is the online play. On the whole, I think live is superior. Well worth the money. Still, it's like getting a free car and paying $100 a gallon for gas.

Most people are set in there way on this issue. It does not matter how low the price drops. They are just not going to pay for the service. I say fine, they did not really want to be on xbox live in the first place, and I for one did not want them there.

Consoles: Atari 5200, NES, SNES, N64, Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube, Wii, Xbox 360, PS3

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
What does "Razz my berry" is that, while live costs $50, the only benefit over silver is the online play. On the whole, I think live is superior. Well worth the money. Still, it's like getting a free car and paying $100 a gallon for gas.

Is that price locked at $100 per gallon... jk.

Consoles: Atari 5200, NES, SNES, N64, Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube, Wii, Xbox 360, PS3

jagenjg said:
Most people are set in there way on this issue. It does not matter how low the price drops. They are just not going to pay for the service. I say fine, they did not really want to be on xbox live in the first place, and I for one did not want them there.

If you play live regularly you understand how good it is and as stated I fot 13 months for $40.00 that means I paid

$3.08 a month, I am ok skipping a coffe or two a month for live

$50 or $40 is not a big deal. The service is great and that's what matters to me.

this is like 1 drink / month or 3 liter of fuel per month. it is affordable, no doubt.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Pay $40.00 a year to use my own bandwidth to play P2P games or play them elsewhere? That's an easy choice, especially considering the fact that the same games are cheaper on PC and they often have exclusive content and mod support. Not wanting to pay money for P2P gaming just makes sense, especially considering the alternatives.

Strategyking92 said:
It isn't a big deal, but sony fanboys need something to whine about :/

but you have to admit I have a point. You could buy a new game for 10 dollars more and support a good developer's game.

Microsoft already makes money off DLC, XBLA, and their video services. With the user base now and as it continues to grow do they really need monthly fee based money to support servers?

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453