By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - A new PSP and a new lie ?

http://darkzero.co.uk/v4/games/news/12549

Longer PSP Battery Length Was All Lies

Never hurt anyone

After announcing the brand new slimline PSP at E3 one of the big bullet points that Sony hit on while trying to sell the redesign to the audience, both in attendance and worldwide, was that the new PSP's battery would last longer for gaming on the move. Hell, we even reported on the matter, the fools we were! However, it has now come to light that this information was more of a small white light by the company, rather than been actual fact.

You see, if you have the battery from your original PSP put in the slimline, you'll be able to get 8-10 hours play, which is the number Sony touted at E3. However, the new PSP will come packed with a smaller battery, one that will only run for about 5 hours while gaming, which is a fair few hours less. Also, if you try and put the original battery in you PSP it won't fully fit in the slot and bulge out of the system, kinda like the same problem you will get if you put a GBA cart in the DS Lite.

So it seems not all is as we once thought. Still, the console will be 33 per cent lighter and 19 per cent slimmer and have some extra options, it will also be able to output high quality video. If that not enough it is also coming to Europe first, lucky us!

so, lie or no lie ? ^^

Time to Work !

Around the Network

You just fell for a fud article, read it a few times.

They are not comparing the old PSPs battery life to the new PSPs battery life. They are comparing the new PSP with its small battery to the new PSP with the big old battery.

New PSP > old PSP as far as battery life.

Mjah, i think it has become standard Sony PR. We sold the most consoles if you count in money, we have the machine with the most X-trillion opererations for this or that making us N°1 console, we sold 1 million consoles somewhere making us totually behind shedule but hey we made the press, we cancel a 20gb console, replace it by a 60gb one and invent a 80gb one and why not call it a price drop, let's give out 1200$ for every PS3 on the shelves out there.
I mean...what did you expect... Some firms have to yet learn to manage that people out there are gathering an enormous amount of knowledge and ideas by the internet and that people will indeed test everything stated by the firm.

For the GBA chart: it's meant to be optional, if you really really like a game you wont be bothered by something sticking out. I played "Minsih cap" like that and it's not like it bothered me, i was already happy that i could play a GBA game on my DS lite that has a backlight. I even think that the fact that you can't play original GB or GB Color games on your DS Lite is the worst design failure. I would have even accepted a 'look-alike' backward compatibility like the new PS3 offerings.

No lie.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

TheFogOfWar said:
You just fell for a fud article, read it a few times.

They are not comparing the old PSPs battery life to the new PSPs battery life. They are comparing the new PSP with its small battery to the new PSP with the big old battery.

Hmmz i understood that they managed to lower the power consumption but also lowered the battery capacity. So there may be a certain increase in battery life, but Sony's numbers are right when you put and old (more capacity) battery in your new PSP. 

So you have to own an old PSP, to actually experience Sony's PR-numbers.  But to be honest, i like my DS lite a lot, it is still a bit too big and heavy but at least it's portable. But i have to admit i don't buy games by the graphics.

Around the Network
TheFogOfWar said:

Correct, the New PSP uses less power, therefore a battery in the Slim PSP would last longer than the same battery in the Old PSP.

However, Sony did do something that I thought was kind of stupid. The old PSP came with an 1800mAh battery. The new Slim PSP will come with a slimmer and smaller and less powerful 1200mAh battery. If it had come with an 1800mAh battery, this would be a complete non-issue.

Dolla Dolla said:
TheFogOfWar said:

Correct, the New PSP uses less power, therefore a battery in the Slim PSP would last longer than the same battery in the Old PSP.

However, Sony did do something that I thought was kind of stupid. The old PSP came with an 1800mAh battery. The new Slim PSP will come with a slimmer and smaller and less powerful 1200mAh battery. If it had come with an 1800mAh battery, this would be a complete non-issue.

Actually, the stupidity was a necessity. What we want has to give way to what it possible. An 1800mAh LI-Ion battery can't be made that small yet*. And a bigger 1800mAh battery wouldn't fit in the new profile. It's a lose-lose situation.

*) Well, unless we want dangers of burning PSP's ;)

It doesn't really work like that, just becuase the batter is smaller, doesn't mean that it will last less, as the PSP will most likely use less power.

One person's experience or opinion never shows the general consensus

PSN ID: Tispower

MSN: tispower1@hotmail.co.uk

Sony was stupid to claim a certain battery life with a battery that does not come standard with the unit. Yet more evidence that Sony PR is horrible.

If you get a new PSP you'll have the same battery life as before, but if you use the old normal battery you'll get twice the life.  If you use an X2 (I believe it's called) or the nyko case that comes with a battery, you'll get 20 hours or so just from that battery.

The new PSP is seemingly twice as efficient as before.  That's quite an upgrade.

I have a nyko case so mine can go about 15 hours on the old PSP.  That's game time I believe.  Even longer if you use the memory stick for games. Music is even longer.  But then, I never leave it on for that long of a period to test it that way, but I've used it for over 10 hours straight before with no problem.